• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. NP Friday Feb 16, 2018

I would say that a clothing-only card would (as it would be an enchantment on the clothing), but a clothing-and-something card probably would not, or at most would function as a clothing-only card (the entirety of the card's effect would count as a single enchantment, so it would have to affect Grace and she's immune to enchantment). ANY card is actually complex enchantment combining changing the look of target person, changing the look of their player piece AND additional effects on game. How THAT would work on Grace is hard to predict without actually seeing the "source code", in other words we would need seer to look at it. Unlikely. The card will PROBABLY still work on her player piece. If it wouldn't, then the initial enchantment would fail as well, meaning Grace can't take part in the game at all. Hmmmm ... Come to think about it, it says Grace is not enchanted by TF gun and Ellen's magic. There is still possibility that other kind of enchantment can work on her, although Tedd's failure to make any suggests that all enchantments transforming her are going to be intercepted by her Uryuom power ... ... I remember reading something more about the mechanism but not sure where ...
  3. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I am informed that my conception of a mistranslation in this instance may itself have been shaped by a political argument. Thus I fear that this postulate of mine is suspect given that this was something I read years ago in sources no longer readily available to me. Given that it most certainly has also been affected by erosion of my memories and how I wanted the argument to be, I am afraid I have to retract it. Hard to be sure if it was or wasn't shaped by political argument, but google returns lot of instance of that ... for example this one. It also returns article about how it's correct translation, although this one ends with "God has seen to it that we have a clear translation in His preserved words in English, the King James Bible" which doesn't exactly sound convincing. I also found a third one, which is not clear in if it's about herbal medicine or sorcery, but it IS clear that the word was gender neutral - and that "live" was "live among you" - so it wasn't supposed to call for killing them. The third source also mentions that the verse was used in 373 to accuse Gnostics, which definitely supports my suspicion that no matter what it originally said, it's was misused politically so long ago we don't have reliable sources of what it said before that.
  4. Yesterday
  5. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I am informed that my conception of a mistranslation in this instance may itself have been shaped by a political argument. Thus I fear that this postulate of mine is suspect given that this was something I read years ago in sources no longer readily available to me. Given that it most certainly has also been affected by erosion of my memories and how I wanted the argument to be, I am afraid I have to retract it.
  6. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

Just because it seems more similar to computer system than to human intelligence doesn't necessary means it's an computer system itself. In fact, as a humans, we are quite good at recognizing when something is not thinking as humans. We are worse at recognizing when something is not thinking as computer. In fact, flair for drama? Not something computers usually have, even indirectly. I don't think it's running on a physical computer system in any reality. On the other hand ... you may have point that it was programmed, as opposed to naturally evolving that way. Those objectives seems to be at least partially forced to it from outside. The incident she was praying about didn't. With the immortals wiping out aberrations everywhere, it's possible that Moperville will NOT be considered "source" of the problems, in fact. It's also possible the seer in question was on the path of that horde and was acting out of self-defense. In past, "magic going public" was always going to be "one group of people will get magic and will use it against others". People were much more patriotic in past, and even if they wouldn't, there simply wasn't way for magic to spread over whole world without group of magic users actively spreading it ... and such group would likely be CONQUERING the places it spreads the magic to, simply because in past when big group of people travelled long way it was almost always army marching to war. There might still be war. But for first time, it is actually possible for magic to spread peacefully at least to SOME places. I agree that Tedd isn't so much better than seers in past. Tedd is the first seer who has circumstance on her side. Well ... he, Arthur and Van. Those two are only seers we can compare her to, and Tedd is winning that comparison ... but being better at argumentation than two people, one of whom is child, is not exactly "impossible". I would suspect this mistranslation was one of the deliberate ones. I wonder if the Paranormal Division is even the group responsible for Uryuom relations and hiding their existence? Wolf and Cranium are out of the loop when it comes to Uryuoms, and Wolf has been outright told there are no such thing as aliens (even if he doesn't believe it). This suggests there are actually two Masquerades - the Masquerade hiding magic and the Masquerade hiding aliens - and that Mr. Verres and his superiors (as well as the Main 8) are unusual for being in on both Masquerades. I suspect the Paranormal Division only handles magical and Inderdimensional threats, while some other group which Mr. Verres is also a part of is responsible for the alien Masquerade. Considering Lavender works with them, I think someone was making fun of agent Wolf ... or his need to know changed. It can easily be the same ORGANIZATION taking care for both - which is supported by Mr. Verres being in charge of both as head of paranormal - but individual agents may STILL not know everything. Information is handled on need-to-know basis and Agent Wolf and Cranium - at least near the start of EGS - were not in need to know about Uryuom. Not really. Seers are still supposed to only teach selected few. Even if those thousand seers would be informed, it would still be too few of them to teach every person on planet - or even just as many people as is currently taught calculus, for example. (I mean differential and integral calculus if that's not exact by itself.) Seers actually wouldn't be qualified for managing, more like for research. They would certainly be in high demand from everyone knowing about them. Which practically means Arthur Arthur will attempt to convince Tedd to work for DGB. Also, I think even relatively cooperative immortals wouldn't want to pledge ironclad contract. Certainly not the ones we know about. The closest you get to immortal forced by vow to cooperate will likely be Pandora after reset working with Sarah - likely in Tedd's lab, because where else ... question is if it would be Tedd's lab in his basement or new shiny one DGB will prepare for him.
  7. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

Yep, #32. I will not fly into a rage and kill a messenger who brings me bad news just to illustrate how evil I really am. Good messengers are hard to come by.
  8. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

Precisely. To be fair to Göring, much as I hate to waste any effort on that, he was under similar pressure from Hitler. Indeed. As it should be in any organisation which hopes to survive for any length of time.
  9. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

On one hand, it can be argued that if Göring had correct intelligence, he might not be making so bad decisions. On the other, well, that pressure to deliver optimistic results didn't appeared out of nowhere, did it? I'm sure that reacting to bad news in way which doesn't make your subordinates afraid to notify you of real problems is on evil overlord list ...
  10. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

Well... kinda sorta. In a 'tell the boss what he wants to hear' way this was actually pretty close to what actually happened. Luftwaffe's own intelligence officers felt under pressure to deliver optimistic results to Göring so they continually reported that the RAF was buckling under the pressure and that with just a little more effort could be made to completely collapse. This resulted in Göring maintaining what was most of the time a fruitless effort and not noticing a brief window of time (when the Luftwaffe was hitting Fighter Command's airfields) where it was actually true. It ended up with Göring chasing a chimaera of victory that constantly moved just a little further away from him, much like that classic cartoon of a donkey induced to chase a carrot dangling from a stick.
  11. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I would expect that if magic use does get mainstream and widespread, that there would have to be the establishment of more public and large scalable means of magic enforcement, and the only ones who would be qualified on a technical level to manage that would be the seers, because they can directly observe all forms of magic and know how to regulate it thoroughly, perhaps working in conjunction with cooperative immortals who have pledged to an ironclad contract.
  12. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

"Luring" is possible, at least in the sense of deliberately trying to give the Luftwaffe the impression that Germany could win that battle with just a bit more effort. Not saying that this was actually deliberately done, just that it's possible.
  13. NP Friday Feb 16, 2018

I would say that a clothing-only card would (as it would be an enchantment on the clothing), but a clothing-and-something card probably would not, or at most would function as a clothing-only card (the entirety of the card's effect would count as a single enchantment, so it would have to affect Grace and she's immune to enchantment). Or we could go wildspec and say that a clothing-and- card aimed at Grace would bounce off and affect something or someone else.
  14. Les XXIIIes Jeux olympiques d'hiver

Now this is a real fan of the winter olympics.
  15. Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

Twice. Granted the same day.
  16. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I wonder if the Paranormal Division is even the group responsible for Uryuom relations and hiding their existence? Wolf and Cranium are out of the loop when it comes to Uryuoms, and Wolf has been outright told there are no such thing as aliens (even if he doesn't believe it). This suggests there are actually two Masquerades - the Masquerade hiding magic and the Masquerade hiding aliens - and that Mr. Verres and his superiors (as well as the Main 8) are unusual for being in on both Masquerades. I suspect the Paranormal Division only handles magical and Inderdimensional threats, while some other group which Mr. Verres is also a part of is responsible for the alien Masquerade.
  17. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

Which was codswallop and just an example of bad translation. In the original the verse spoke of a poisoner, not a witch. I daresay there is an important difference. If anyone here feels like reading an interesting article about how translation errors or deliberate mistranslation can create a world of trouble for a holy text, I highly recommend this article.
  18. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

Found an interesting quote on facebook, and thought I'd share it. If you think about it, Tedd's not really any more special than other Seer's who've met with the WoM in the past. Every time magic got too well known, the WoM would have presented the eligible Seer at the time with the same two options, severe change to maintain secrecy, or minimal changes to accomodate it's reveal. The last change occurred when a warmongering horde was on the verge of decimating a town with magic so it stands to reason that the Seer at the time might have been in agreement that Magic would be too destructive in the wrong hands and if magic was allowed to continue as it was, that horde would have run rampant across the lands (I would expect the WoM would have told the Seer what prompt that meeting). Yeah there probably would have been a chance that another group of wizards might form to stop the horde eventually, but that Seer might have desired to save the ones in immediate danger. I would suspect that other times that magic changed were due to magic being used in war or some other unsavory manor which would always lead to the Seer choosing severe change in order to save innocent lives or bring down an oppressive ruler or something. It might have been different if there was a natural disaster about to wipe out a large population and only Magic could prevent it, a Seer could argue minimal changes to protect people as well. In Tedd's case, there isn't some huge war where wizards are being used to kill and destroy, and there's no natural disaster threatening the population so it's certainly isn't a black and white case in that regard but I wouldn't say that Tedd's done the impossible here, it was always possible but very dependent on circumstances.
  19. Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

Good lord! I've had a big toenail removed without the numbing spray, but of course without the frostbite and without the matching toenail removed. Not something I'd want to live through.
  20. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

One of the factoids few Americans know and/or care about is that people who are accused of witchcraft are still being killed, notably in Indonesia, the country with the largest majority Muslim population on the planet. I wonder if Dan will address this issue in any way if he allows the existence of real magic to become public in the Moperverse. And there is that verse in the Bible about not letting a witch live. Touchy religious controversy aside, a lot of people would be afraid of magic users, or jealous of, or eager to exploit magic and magic users. Looks much like the answer to Cranium's prayer that Moperville will not become another Roswell is turning out to be an emphatic "No." Let's review some personal magical-secrecy issues left unresolved for our characters: Rhoda still hasn't told anyone but Catalina that she has magic, most especially Diane. Luke--remember Luke?--could sense magic, though we don't know for sure he knows its magic he's sensing. Susan hasn't told Catalina or her mom she has magic. Catalina hasn't told anyone we know of that she has magic (she didn't have to tell Rhoda). Besides finding out Mr. Raven is her father, is a wizard, and is hundreds of years old, Diane knows that her grandmother is Pandora, that she's a natural vampire killer, that griffins are real, that Elliot is Cheerleadra...maybe it would be easier to list the secrets Diane doesn't know about. I wonder if she has even noticed Noah yet; they've never been shown interacting or even referring to one another. But that seems likely to change soon. Sarah hasn't told her family as far as we know; certainly she hasn't told Carol yet. I
  21. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

Found an interesting quote on facebook, and thought I'd share it.
  22. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

Oh, undoubtedly. But the "automated flow" comment really pushed it over the edge for me.
  23. TheHeroesOfCRASH.com My comic is having its annual contest, and EVERYONE gets some art in return! Either make some art or a game avatar based on my characters to enter! You can read more details by clicking on one of the attached images, and you can view the full rules by clicking on the button on my main page. Give it a try! It's loads of fun! Diligent readers may recognize that one of the two images is my announcement filler from last year, but with a new, introductory, 2-panel filler comic preceding it. Due to some family emergencies (and Valentine's Day), I wasn't able to get much work done on my comic until Friday night. And even then, I had to contend with another family emergency that had me driving around for a few hours until 1am, and some computer issues. But being the faithful comic creator that I am, I managed to stay up all night to finish this filler. True, I may have stayed awake more than 24 hours, but I haven't reached a delirious state of exhaustion or anythKUMQUATHIPPOPOTAMUSBOOGIEOOGIEOOGIE! ... I may need to lie down...
  24. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

That's what the Seers are for, though I concede that's only after a severe change. I'm pretty sure that's been brought up before.
  25. What Are You Ingesting?

Kentucky Fried Chicken.
  26. Story Wednesday January 31, 2018

As I stated, it was unintentionally. It was more like a tragedy of errors than anything else. But the Luftwaffe did get derailed from a winning strategy to a losing one. I am actually not sure. Anyway, I was being snide more than anything else. Rather like how Grandpa Simpson during his time as a combat engineer in the US Army received the Cross of Iron for the number of casualties his incompetence caused his own side. Still, you might have a point. Perhaps a special medal should be created just for him. Something like the Deleterious Flying Cross.
  27. Story, Friday February 16, 2018

I'm calling it now: Magic is an advanced AI running on a computer system on an upper level of reality. It has a pre-programmed set of parameters for the task it was built to perform: give humans "supernatural" abilities based on their personality and desires, monitor the results, and trigger the "change procedure" when magic reaches a worldwide exposure level above X. It's been programmed to read these qualities from humans, and this is in fact the only way it can perceive the world and how humans (and Immortals, and other magic-users like the Griffins and maybe the Uryuoms) interact with it. Instant percentage-based calculations (seemingly on-demand with zero latency), talk of spells being given to humans as part of an "automated flow".... just little bits and pieces of how Magic has been speaking.
  1. Load more activity