117 replies to this topic

#21 sci-fi guy

sci-fi guy

Supreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, but does Elliot have one yet?

Mr. Verres ordered their spellbooks at the same time, so I assume that if Ellen has one then Elliot would too.
TVTropes has ruined my vocabulary.

#22 Mersang

Mersang

910 Reader

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

I think it was poor form of Elliot to just fly off and risk being spotted, you know, flying, when he could've just transformed back, instead of leaving Justin to deal with all the questions from civilians and reporters and police, come up with an entire explanation on his own. I mean, a random new spell must've used up some magical energy, so there can't have been a huge risk of transforming back in front of everyone.

Also, is Elliot still restricted to female forms? It could be that, while his powers are mostly based on shapeshifting, he might be able to shapeshift to male forms as well, but just hasn't tried to because it hasn't occured to him.

And on the subject of transformation, something's been bugging me for a while: If Tedd is so self-conscious about his effeminate facial structure, why didn't he ever use the TFG to make a varient form of himself with subtly more manly features? Over the course of a few months, he could progressively zap himself with ever-increasing alterations to his facial structure and physique, and so long as he took it slow, no one would ever have to know he was technically abusing the TFG.

It would be totally logical (which is probably why it won't happen), considering that 'EGS' really stands for 'Extremely Gratuitous Shapeshifting'.

#23 TobyC

TobyC

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Australian Soap Operas, Science Fiction TV and Movies, Anime and Manga (especially Harem and Shonen), EGS and Irregular Webcomic.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, but does Elliot have one yet?

The books were both ordered on the same day, no reason why Ellen would get hers weeks ahead of him.

Edit: Ninjad repeatedly.

I bring this up because new spells have a tendency to match one's inner personality (e.g., Nanase's sneaky spells). Since Elliot apparently dreams often of being a superhero, I'm guessing that's one of the first spells that would be in his book - again, if he even has one yet.

Up until today the only changes to his spellbook were related to his female transformations. Same with Ellen, who could only get powers related to her hand beam. It's because they were awakened by the diamond instead of naturally.

But yeah, it looks like Elliot maybe moving out of that phase and getting more traditional superhero powers.
"Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47, Knights of the Old Republic

Mickey: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?
Doctor: Mickey, what's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective!
- Doctor Who: The Girl in the Fireplace

"...And then I said 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"
Pinkie Pie, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - "The Ticket Master"

#24 Man on the Moon

Man on the Moon

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Banned
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Also originally, I spent a fair amount of time writing an exposition-heavy monologue for Elliot, effectively narrating what he felt he needed to do, and eventually getting lost in the thrill of flying. It was difficult to write, and I realized that the reason for that was that it was better without words

and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.
The Moon will rise again!

#25 TobyC

TobyC

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Australian Soap Operas, Science Fiction TV and Movies, Anime and Manga (especially Harem and Shonen), EGS and Irregular Webcomic.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

I think it was poor form of Elliot to just fly off and risk being spotted, you know, flying, when he could've just transformed back, instead of leaving Justin to deal with all the questions from civilians and reporters and police, come up with an entire explanation on his own.

As mentioned, staying would increase the risk of someone connecting him with Ellen, and Justin knows this. Also, keep in mind that Elliot is a terrible liar and would be a liability to all three of them if he hung around.
"Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope." HK-47, Knights of the Old Republic

Mickey: What's a horse doing on a spaceship?
Doctor: Mickey, what's pre-revolutionary France doing on a spaceship? Get a little perspective!
- Doctor Who: The Girl in the Fireplace

"...And then I said 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"
Pinkie Pie, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - "The Ticket Master"

#26 sci-fi guy

sci-fi guy

Supreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:56 PM

and behold, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became like blood. And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, as a fig tree drops its late figs when it is shaken by a mighty wind. Then the sky receded as a scroll when it is rolled up, and every mountain and island was moved out of its place.

I've never used used "lol" before, but I was severely tempted at this.
TVTropes has ruined my vocabulary.

#27 ProfessorTomoe

ProfessorTomoe

Don't Poke the Lump

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:On disability - using the time to devise (possibly) nefarious plans for something
  • Favorite Comic:El Goonish Shive

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

Up until today the only changes to his spellbook were related to his female transformations. Same with Ellen, [url="http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2008-11-18"]who could only get powers related to her hand beam. It's because they were awakened by the diamond instead of naturally.

But yeah, it looks like Elliot maybe moving out of that phase and getting more traditional superhero powers.

Now the question becomes, "Can spells be combined?" Elliot has cast what appears to be a combo TF/Superhero spell, either consecutively or simultaneously as he was asleep (not enough exposition on this point yet). Nanase was able to create a male dolly, but that was with the help of the TFG. Grace is her own special case and falls outside the bounds of this point.

So, can other magic users cast combinations of spells? I'd like to hear what you folks think would be fun combinations to see Dan draw if the answer turns out to be yes.

RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH
Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!

#28 duffman

duffman

910 Reader

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:02 AM

Now the question becomes, "Can spells be combined?"

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but I can see Ellen using her new "copy" spell on transformed super-Elliot and we get a dashing new super hero duo!!!

--
I wish that I could fly...

#29 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:13 AM

He looks like Ellen? It doesn't look that way to me, but this answers my question about how Justin recognised him.

As someone else said, love the expressions.
If stories only contained elements that were absolutely necessary to the plot they'd be boring.
---
Posted Image

#30 Ijuin

Ijuin

Extreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

He looks like Ellen? It doesn't look that way to me, but this answers my question about how Justin recognised him.

More specifically, he looks like Ellen to people who do not know either of them personally. Ellen still looks close enough to Elliot's "default FV5" form that they can be regarded as identical twins from an outsider's perspective, and like identical twins, complete strangers could easily confuse them with each other.

I mean, we are watching EGS here, the comic that has genderswitching anthro-furry female aliens. Its like a fetish fuel pileup . . .

#31 frozenchicken

frozenchicken

Slightly less chicken

• Members
  • 5,401 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

Elliot looks hilarious in the second panel. It's just this big frowny-faced hop into the sky. His body curve just makes it seem really funny looking. Haha-funny that is.

Bananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananananas are rich in Potassium.

#32 Orcinus

Orcinus

Avid 910 Reader

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:18 AM

?

(optional three letters preceding "?", "huh")

#33 Eveinator

Eveinator

This is the most snarky title you will see today.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:25 AM

...Lolwhut?

#34 Carl

Carl

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

Orcinus, I do believe Man on the Moon was expressing sarcastic joy that Dan, master of Long Expository Speeches, chose to make his points silently using art instead. I also believe MotM was ironically congratulating Dan, because it really worked well.

#35 Large Forumite

Large Forumite

Angry Bunny

• Members
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

Orcinus, I do believe Man on the Moon was expressing sarcastic joy that Dan, master of Long Expository Speeches, chose to make his points silently using art instead. I also believe MotM was ironically congratulating Dan, because it really worked well.

More simply, Dan is letting visuals tell the story instead of exposition. The apocalypse must be at hand.
(the above post was meant in jest and should not be taken seriously)

#36 roonstown

roonstown

Runejacker

• Members
  • 8,311 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

I am quite underwhelmed by this page.
Posted ImageI have been declared awesome: 41 Times.
Roon's way of dealing with magic systems is seeking out their practicer and stabbing them. A lot. - Author
Rette is a spritely little badass. Watch out for those twinkletoes, baddies; they're only twinkling because light is reflecting off the steel.- Lorne Logan
Nobody out-crazies Roon. Ever.- Azalea
Finally there is Roon's Law, which goes: "It doesn't matter because I am AWESOME." - The Old hack
Frankly, I think we actually corrupted Roon. His avatar's extended descent into madness mirrors his internal turmoil. I blame Cyber. - frozenchicken
Posted ImagePosted Image
Ask Rette a question! Just be careful how you word it.

#37 Eveinator

Eveinator

This is the most snarky title you will see today.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

I am quite underwhelmed by this page.

I am quite underwhelmed with life...

No kidding.

#38 Berpol

Berpol

Supreme 910 Reader

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:21 AM

I'm sure I would have a similar reaction to being able to fly.

I think it was poor form of Elliot to just fly off and risk being spotted, you know, flying, when he could've just transformed back, instead of leaving Justin to deal with all the questions from civilians and reporters and police, come up with an entire explanation on his own. I mean, a random new spell must've used up some magical energy, so there can't have been a huge risk of transforming back in front of everyone.

It is safer for all when he flies away.
There are enough witnesses to attest that there was a superhero clad female involved and that Justin is "only" the comic book shop clerk so should Elliot be seen the onlooker knows that the superhero partially responsible for the damage has left the scene. If Elliot were to reappear from somewhere other than the toilet someone might connect 2 and 2 and get 5.

Also, is Elliot still restricted to female forms? It could be that, while his powers are mostly based on shapeshifting, he might be able to shapeshift to male forms as well, but just hasn't tried to because it hasn't occured to him.

If I were him I would try to transform to something male once a day so I assume he is still limited to female forms. He still can transform to a male humanoid cat (painfully) but that's it.

Now the question becomes, "Can spells be combined?" Elliot has cast what appears to be a combo TF/Superhero spell, either consecutively or simultaneously as he was asleep (not enough exposition on this point yet). Nanase was able to create a male dolly, but that was with the help of the TFG. Grace is her own special case and falls outside the bounds of this point.

Without further information I would assume that Elliot didn't acquire a spell to fly but is able to transform to females with powers so that it is an extension of his transformation powers. Nanase did create a male dolly but that is related to the parameters of her fairy spell as she creates a fairy copy of her body (gender and hair and all). Grace's ability to combine forms is based on her heritage so it does not apply here.
Schadenfreude ist die ehrlichste form von Mitleid.

#39 Tricia

Tricia

Wotch Defender

• Members
  • 4,737 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

This update is rather meh. Once again, Elliot yanks the spotlight away from Justin after Justin had it for about 7 seconds.

Admit it, You would do this if you could fly

No. I wouldn't.

considering that 'EGS' really stands for 'Extremely Gratuitous Shapeshifting'.

You answered both of your questions there. Plus the question about Elliot and female forms. He'll never get any male forms, or if he does, they'll be vastly inferior to any female forms.

As mentioned, staying would increase the risk of someone connecting him with Ellen, and Justin knows this. Also, keep in mind that Elliot is a terrible liar and would be a liability to all three of them if he hung around.

...who said anything about staying around (in female form)? He could get to a private place rather quickly and change back. And the terrible liar won't have anything to do with it. He's not like Noah, who just randomly blurts out things.

If anything, Elliot completely disappearing after going into the bathroom creates a *lot* more problems.
"Tricia is not the hero we deserve, but the hero we need."
Posted Image
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.

#40 Random Wanderer

Random Wanderer

Obsessive 910 Reader

• Members
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

Dan, the water under the bridge looks just the grass above the bridge, and next to the water, and like the bushes behind Justin. You keep using the same squiggles on both, making it so that the shade of gray they are is the only way to tell that one is supposed to be something else.

No. I wouldn't.

That's because you're a grumpy stick-in-the-mud. :P
Everyone asks who I am... but I am no one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users