• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

Saw my cardiologist yesterday for my approximately six-month follow-up appointment. He gave me a run down on the results from the heart monitor that they made me wear to see what was causing my heart palpitations. According to him, I have something called Premature Atrial Contractions (PACs), which is where the upper chamber of the heart beats before it should. This is in addition to the Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs) I've had for years, but it's worse in that it's happening more frequently and stringing together into multiple events. He also said that, since it's doing the multiple-event thing, it could lead to Atrial Fibrillations, which is where the chamber gets all out of whack, basically. That's something that could definitely land me in the Emergency Room, or worse.

He was a little bit hesitant to change my medication, since my heart rate was already a bit slow, but in the end he upped my metoprolol (a beta blocker) from 50mg to 100mg. He also prescribed me a 40 mEq packet of potassium powder to dissolve in water and drink each day, since my potassium levels have been off. He tried to prescribe a potassium pill instead of the powder, but those things are big enough to choke a Clydesdale horse, so I talked him out of that.

I asked him if I was still being diagnosed with HFpEF (heart failure with preserved ejection fraction), which is a situation that leads to fluids not being circulated like they should and is a partial cause of my leg edema/swelling that I'm still fighting. He said yes, as long as my edema continues, I'll be diagnosed with HFpEF.

So, to summarize, I've got three diagnoses going in my heart right now: HFpEF, PACs, and PVCs. Joy. I'm not going to do any joy jumping up-and-down in response, since I don't want to find out how my heart would react if I did. I've got enough going on as it is. ;) 

I just stood up from my desk chair, tripped over something, what I have no idea, and fell on my butt. Don't think I broke anything, but I've taken analgesic and am in bed using my Chromebook flat on my back. I wish I could take a NSAID right about now.

On 7/22/2023 at 0:30 PM, ProfessorTomoe said:

So, to summarize, I've got three diagnoses going in my heart right now: HFpEF, PACs, and PVCs. Joy. I'm not going to do any joy jumping up-and-down in response, since I don't want to find out how my heart would react if I did. I've got enough going on as it is. ;) 

Hoping your medical community gets a better handle on how to treat it.

I almost spilled nearly an entire Coca-Cola on top of my laptop. What scares me more than the "what" of the situation is the "why." You see, I almost fell asleep with a can of Coca-Cola in my hands. The can was on a collision course with my laptop as I was dozing off, but I jolted and caught myself at the last moment.

I'm tired, but I can't seem to get the right amount of sleep. I can't lie down on a bed due to my torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I have to sleep sitting up in a recliner, and that's not the most conducive environment for good sleep. For some reason, it's driving me crazy today. I go from awake to asleep and back again. Urrgh.

Just returned from now annual kidney doctor check up.  I'm exactly the same as last time I went in and still have only stage 3a chronic kidney disease.

18 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just returned from now annual kidney doctor check up.  I'm exactly the same as last time I went in and still have only stage 3a chronic kidney disease.

Kudos on having not progressed. Please continue to underachieve in this regard.

I went out early this morning to get milk.  I some how managed to trip over the bike while I was getting it out of the house and on to the porch.  My left wrist, right elbow and ankle got banged up in the fall.  Wrist bothering me the most.

34 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I went out early this morning to get milk.  I some how managed to trip over the bike while I was getting it out of the house and on to the porch.  My left wrist, right elbow and ankle got banged up in the fall.  Wrist bothering me the most.

I'm shocked! You have milk delivery? I have not seen milk delivery since the early 1960s.

Get better, man.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm shocked! You have milk delivery?

I ride my e-bike about 6 blocks to the Walgreens and buy a gallon there.  I wish I had milk delivery, I'd pay twice normal for it.

I need to go in and have my inner ear checked.  I just stood up, got dizzy and fell on my butt.  That's the 3rd fall this week.  I have changed my brain meds and I don't think any of them have dizziness as a side effect.  Need to call the mental health clinic and find out.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I need to go in and have my inner ear checked.  I just stood up, got dizzy and fell on my butt.  That's the 3rd fall this week.  I have changed my brain meds and I don't think any of them have dizziness as a side effect.  Need to call the mental health clinic and find out.

I will keep you in my prayers, if you don't mind.

I really need to go to the clinic to find out about my dizzy spells. Just had another one and fell on my butt. Scared Explorer, and to be honest me.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Might be a reaction to meds?

I haven't changed meds in over a year.  The dizzy spells are less than a month old.

I woke up this morning feeling less than optimal.  Now graduated to feeling like crap and have been sneezing for the last 15 minutes.  Taking "cold relief" effervescent (one with out aspirin) and will be going back to bed soonish.

I rode my ebike down to Walgreens to get a gallon of milk.  Should not have done that.  I feel worse than I did yesterday, granted with out the nasal drip.  Gonna lay down for a while.

OK, I've got to make an appointment with the clinic Monday.  Just fell on my ass from dizzy spell _again_.  This is getting out of hand.    I'm also going to make sure I tell my shrink on the 14th that I'm getting dizzy more or less at random, just to see if any of my many brain meds have dizziness as a side effect.  I know that Cymbalta had it as a side effect, but I don't know about my current drugs.  This sucks.

26 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

OK, I've got to make an appointment with the clinic Monday. 

Monday is Labor Day. They might be closed.

Not if they gave him an appointment; they would have known that before they made it. , , , If he used an app, I suppose it might have been faulty . . .

13 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Monday is Labor Day. They might be closed.

Yeah, I suspect so.  The biggest issues with it being Labor day is that the busses aren't going to be running.

17 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, I suspect so.  The biggest issues with it being Labor day is that the busses aren't going to be running.

That's a good point. If you depend on public transportation, your ability to participate in holiday events is limited. Huh. Kinda sucks.

Just had a down rush, tripped over my own feet and fell.  Fortunately I landed on the bed instead the floor.  Going to the walk in clinic tomorrow.
1) I have lowish blood pressure [average 110/65]
2) I have lowish blood oxygen level [average 92]
3) I have high heart rate [average 100]

Each by it's self isn't cause for worry, but I think that the combo may be a problem

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just had a down rush, tripped over my own feet and fell.  Fortunately I landed on the bed instead the floor.  Going to the walk in clinic tomorrow.
1) I have lowish blood pressure [average 110/65]
2) I have lowish blood oxygen level [average 92]
3) I have high heart rate [average 100]

Each by it's self isn't cause for worry, but I think that the combo may be a problem

We are rooting for you. Glad you are taking action.