• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Stature

Story Friday January 13, 2017

20 hours ago, malloyd said:

Welcome to the global village, a place where falling out of your raised bed and landing on tatami mats passes as an unremarkable thing that could happen.

People use raised beds with a tatami-mat floor? That totally clashes with the decor style . . .

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that Zelda was only referenced out of canon.

The plan to rescue Elliot from The Nest was called "Operation Zelda" and I don't see that being a reference to anything else but Legend of Zelda especially considering the chapter title page is one big Legend of Zelda reference.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 01/20/2017 at 0:45 AM, hkmaly said:

I think that Zelda was only referenced out of canon.

The plan to rescue Elliot from The Nest was called "Operation Zelda" and I don't see that being a reference to anything else but Legend of Zelda especially considering the chapter title page is one big Legend of Zelda reference.

Oh. So I guess Dan only got the idea of only referencing real games out of canon AFTER this.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Oh. So I guess Dan only got the idea of only referencing real games out of canon AFTER this.

I think he picks and chooses what he references and what he parodies in canon, can't find the direct comic that has the poster of it, but there's Smash Goons Melee or Brawl or whatever that Grace likes to play, which is parodying Super Smash Brothers. While they don't actually say the name of the game Grace is playing on the road trip in Hammerchlorians, the fact that 3 real movies are referenced makes me think that the game has to be one of the Mario Bros games and not some parody of them, it'd be weird if 1 of the 4 princesses mention was just a parody. Next is a Fallout 3 reference, which is more confirmed as a reference through Dan's commentary rather than in comic, but it is later confirmed the Fallout franchise is canon in EGS because Justin used the Vault Boy avatar for instant messenger. Then we have Legends of Celida of course as a parody. And Skyrim is canon, and finally we have Pokemon which George plays throughout the card tournament which the card game itself is a parody of Magic: The Gathering.

Honestly though, it nice that Dan didn't try to come up with parody names for all the games referenced in EGS, it does make it seem like the EGS universe is an alternate reality to ours where there's some stuff that's familiar but others that give the idea that things went elsewhere.

In the case of Zelda and Celida, it probably could be seen as a reference to the fact that clones of popular games also exist in EGS.