• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Savoritz "brand" cracked pepper & olive oil woven whole-wheat crackers (think Triscuits, but from Aldi). Actually, I've had to rescue the box from Mrs. Prof, who bought them this morning and has nearly emptied the box in one sitting this afternoon. She's quite addicted to them. Me, not so much, but I do like them.

Bought an eggplant aka aubergine. Cooking this is new ground.

1. Chunked and fried bottom 3rd. Absorbed a lot of oil. Taste was not great, online warned about this; added seasoning helped.

2. Per suggestion peeled middle 2 inches (5 cm) and diced, also fried, combined with asparagus tips and rice. Much better; added to other flavors. Not convinced peeling was necessary.

3. sliced and fried 3/8 inch (1 cm) slice, fried one sun dried tomato chicken sausage, sliced lengthwise, made a sandwich with pumpernicklel and a slice of halvarti. Very good. Oh, yeah, I coated the top with sesame oil while frying; it added good flavor.

I also figured out that I can quickly steam broccoli and garlic by cooking them in bowl in the microwave with about a quarter inch of water. (a little less than a cm)

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

1. Chunked and fried bottom 3rd. Absorbed a lot of oil. Taste was not great, online warned about this; added seasoning helped.

Salting this before cooking can draw out some of the astringency. Place chunks evenly spread in a tray, add a moderate amount of salt (not too much - just enough to start drawing out the liquid), and let it sit for a while (online recipes will tell you how long). Rinse chunks lightly and discard drawn-out water, then cook chunks as desired.

EDIT: I stand somewhat corrected. https://www.myrecipes.com/how-to/cooking-questions/how-to-salt-eggplant

I made a batch of Vigo's Black Beans and Rice.  I forgot how much I like that stuff.  Good thing I do like it because I bought a 12 pack of it.

Steel cut oat porridge with diced peaches. That a good breakfast. Explorer the Cat just sniffed at it, which is a bit strange in that the only human food I've seen her eat was some quick cook steel cut oats.

I did steamed and the fried mixed veggies in rice yesterday with some shredded chicken. I liked that. I steamed some diced brussel sprouts today without frying, they were disappointing. I like the flavor frying adds.

Fried the last thin slice of eggplant for lunch, made a sandwich. No seasoning, just cheese. Wasn't terrible, but it benefits from seasoning.

I basically like it, but it took too long to go through; would not do again soon.

9 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Fried the last thin slice of eggplant for lunch, made a sandwich. No seasoning, just cheese. Wasn't terrible, but it benefits from seasoning.

I basically like it, but it took too long to go through; would not do again soon.

The only thing I've had made from eggplant that I liked was a sorta mock hummus made from roasted eggplant.  Aside from that, every thing I've every tried made from eggplant fell hard in the "never eat this again" zone. 

Just now, mlooney said:

The only thing I've had made from eggplant that I liked was a sorta mock hummus made from roasted eggplant.  Aside from that, every thing I've every tried made from eggplant fell hard in the "never eat this again" zone. 

I've had good eggplant dishes, and my failure to duplicate those results is more a reflection of my lack of culinary skills than the nature of the vegetable.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

I've had good eggplant dishes, and my failure to duplicate those results is more a reflection of my lack of culinary skills than the nature of the vegetable.

Good eggplant is like good tabouli.  I understand that it should exist, but you can't prove it by me. 

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Good eggplant is like good tabouli.  I understand that it should exist, but you can't prove it by me. 

A couple of my eggplant dishes came out fine, seasoning seems to be vital. I love eggplant parmesan. Middle Eastern and Mediterranean places often use eggplant well as an ingredient.

Tabouli, on the other hand, seems to be tricky to do right. I rarely find one I like. Mostly too sour.

Tabouli, on the other hand, seems to be tricky to do right.

I, in theory, like all the parts of tabouli.  Once you mix them together something happens and I can't stand it.  Of course I'm low grade allergic to raw tomato skins and seeds so I have a little trouble with tabouli from the jump.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I, in theory, like all the parts of tabouli.  Once you mix them together something happens and I can't stand it.  Of course I'm low grade allergic to raw tomato skins and seeds so I have a little trouble with tabouli from the jump.

aka, "What the #e11 are we going to do with all of this parsley?"

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

aka, "What the #e11 are we going to do with all of this parsley?"

I'm one of the people that likes parsley.  I've made a "normal" salad out of the stuff.  I always eat the bit that comes as garnish on meals.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I'm one of the people that likes parsley.  I've made a "normal" salad out of the stuff.  I always eat the bit that comes as garnish on meals.

I agree with that, I'm just saying, the notion of Tabouli came from somewhere.

I lucked into some good berries; blackberries, normally $2.99 for 6 oz, 4 packages for $5. Also, large packages of large, juicy, sweet, flavorful strawberries, the size of plums, $5 an lb. I've never seen ones like this before, must be something new. Usually large ones, smaller than these, lack flavor.

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I lucked into some good berries; blackberries, normally $2.99 for 6 oz, 4 packages for $5. Also, large packages of large, juicy, sweet, flavorful strawberries, the size of plums, $5 an lb. I've never seen ones like this before, must be something new. Usually large ones, smaller than these, lack flavor.

I have had the worst luck getting good berries for the last few years.

1 minute ago, mlooney said:

I have had the worst luck getting good berries for the last few years.

The place I got them, Harris Teeter, is essentially a Kroger outlet now, if that helps.

The place I got them, Harris Teeter, is essentially a Kroger outlet now, if that helps.

Actually that does help, my local store is a Kroger's outlet. I'll keep my eyes open for them.

12 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Bleah, did up some of the brussel sprouts wwithout steaming them first, just fried. Big mistake. Lesson learned.

Yeah, even the "modern" non bitter versions are a bit strong unless you treat them first.

Lunch consisted of frozen panko fried flounder, gussied up a bit with a lemon-ghee sauce on top and tartar sauce on the side. This followed an earlier breakfast of quail, pork, and jalapeno sausage.

Many noms have been had this day.