• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Sketchbook Comic for Tuesday, May 10, 2022

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But will Conan's volleyball skills remain intact?

I would think so. Muscle memory is really more a mental thing than actual muscles.

Uryuomtech transformations and most self-transformation spells include muscle memory adaptation.

That said, more so than muscle memory, Conan will be dealing with spatial misjudgments because of having less height and shorter arms than before—where memory and habit will say that a ball 90 cm from his eyes is within reach, he will find that his arm is shorter than that.

Hadn't thought about the size differential all that much.  Yeah, being shorter than you think you are might effect athletics in general.

The “being smaller affects physical stuff” issue was brought up in a couple of Ranma Saotome’s fights in Ranma 1/2, which was a relative bit of seriousness in what was otherwise primarily a comedy.

There’s that, plus being away from the ground—many typical martial arts maneuvers involve pushing off of the ground, or pinning/pressing/slamming an opponent against the ground. Mid-air combat, by contrast, involves maneuvers in which the only solid masses are the combatants themselves.

Elliot was overwhelming to the school bullies he would beat up years ago, but he had them outclassed from the beginning

Elliot was one of the best students in Sensei Greg's dojo, but that was under controlled conditions against other students he knew well.  And they were confident that they would not attack to kill, maim, or otherwise seriously injure each other.

But in real fights against opponents with real combat experience, Elliot frequently ends up second best or worse.  And that is in any form.

On 5/11/2022 at 2:33 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But in real fights against opponents with real combat experience, Elliot frequently ends up second best or worse.  And that is in any form.

You mean in real combat fighting unarmed and without armor against magical monsters? Go figure. He should have gone to a dojo that trained against fantasy creatures.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Like an Anime Style dojo?

Nah, something like a dwarven or elven style dojo.  Maybe a Rider of Rohan style one.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Like an Anime Style dojo?

Well, they did, but only because the creatures showed up. It was not within the intended training.

48 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well, they did, but only because the creatures showed up. It was not within the intended training.

Which is why they need a Dwarvish Style dojo.  Dwarves are familiar with fighting a wide variety of things, as are elves.  Plus, bonus, weapon training.  Susan should look into that.