• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Discussion of Military, real or fictional

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You could be both.

Yeah, I know.  One of the knights in my SCA household is former USMC scout/sniper and former US army MP.  His dress uniform looked a bit odd.

Just an opinion, the performance of the Wagner Group and Blackwater are both serious indictments against governments employing mercenary groups. The callous disregard for the rights and welfare of noncombatants does not speak well of those that employ them, regardless of alleged 'results'. Holding territory is much harder than taking it, and fostering ill will and hostility makes it more certain that you will loose the ground you gained. Fear works just so far, then all you do is drive the opposition into hiding and covert actions.Just look at the widespread partisans fighting Germany in WWII.

(Notes for the uninformed: Wagner Group is currently employed by Russia. Blackwater was employed by the US in the Middle East)

No question the "private" military agencies are a bad idea. On the other hand the PRC uses a lot more than both Russia and the US do, they are just more secretive about it.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

the performance of the Wagner Group

I think it is time and past time that Putin switches to the lesser known Beethoven Group, which consists of deaf artillerists known for firing barrages to the tune of Beethoven's Fifth, or sometimes his Ninth. I hear he tried to get the Tchaikovsky Group famed for their mercenary marching bands but the Ukrainians got to them first and they are now accompanying the Ukrainians where they spend most of their time playing Marche Slava Ukraina.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The absolutely most hilarious example from the Iraq war was when a squad of hapless Iraqi surrendered to an Italian camera crew (which was of course unarmed.) Unhappily I do not recall whether they were placed in a POW camp run by Italian TV. At least they could be fairly sure of excellent pizza and pasta during their captivity.

Goats that float! New, advanced goat technology! "We have the best goats in the sea! No other country floats a goat as we do."

"Look, Ivan, they're finally supplying us with rations!"

The Ukraine really hasn't gotten into the massive "anti tank" static defenses like Russia has.  And when they have used them they keep them covered by infantry/vehicles that will fire on things trying to cross them, which is the standard NATO rule for obstacles.  This make stealing them a bit tricky.   There is a US army saying "an obstacle not covered by fire isn't an obstacle"  This goes for mine fields as well as anti-tank things.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The Ukraine really hasn't gotten into the massive "anti tank" static defenses like Russia has.  And when they have used them they keep them covered by infantry/vehicles that will fire on things trying to cross them, which is the standard NATO rule for obstacles.  This make stealing them a bit tricky.   There is a US army saying "an obstacle not covered by fire isn't an obstacle"  This goes for mine fields as well as anti-tank things.

Hopefully that can be accurately expanded out to "An obstacle that doesn't stop the enemy is not an obstacle, and an obstacle that is not covered by fire does not stop the enemy". That would make sense.

A passive barrier you can circumvent at you convenience is not likely to stop anyone determined to cross it. An unmanned but in some sense active barrier would be more difficult, but by no means insurmountable. At least until we foolishly crank out the Terminators that kill us all. I suppose you could consider them as 'manning'.