• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Thursday, Oct 20, 2022

Here is.

So Ellen has given Rich a valid and good in game reason for his paladin to want to find out more about Nanase.  And Rich is actively trying to not get excited about.  Seems on form for him.

I question the wisdom of giving Rich this quest through Divine contact rather than a mortal intermediary (oracle, auger, soothsayer, prophet, priest, or paladin commander).  When a god speaks directly to a mortal, the results are often unpleasant.

Panel one, Rich is unable to separate fantasy and role playing from reality. Her refers to Nanase as 'Ellen's girlfriend' and not as her character.

It is unclear, to me anyway, why 'his god is confused' and 'his paladin is confused' would appeal to Rich. Perhaps Ellen is hitting the nail on the head, due to being the author's voice in the circumstances. It could be that Rich's misogyny is a defensive response to a personal confusion that feels threatening. Hmm. This could get ... interesting.

Last panel, Rich may not be consciously aware that he's doing that, but at least just below the surface, if not overtly, Rich knows he's a phony.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I question the wisdom of giving Rich this quest through Divine contact rather than a mortal intermediary (oracle, auger, soothsayer, prophet, priest, or paladin commander).

You make a good point. That applies to the comic as well. Rather than pulling Rich aside for a dialog about the railroad she's building for him, Ellen could have had him role play meeting said source of enlightenment.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When a god speaks directly to a mortal, the results are often unpleasant.

When a mortal claims that a god spoke directly to him or her, the claim is dubious. Odds are good that they are just delusional, and yes, unpleasantness abounds.

53 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Rather than pulling Rich aside for a dialog about the railroad she's building for him, Ellen could have had him role play meeting said source of enlightenment.

While role playing the meeting with his god might have been fun, it still needed to be in secret as that information wasn't supposed to be known to the rest of the party.  As a practical matter, doing a role play of this would have taken several strips and this arc is starting to get long and The Dan is trying (sorta) to not have 100's of strips long arcs any more.

4 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

On the other hand, Rich is about to get hyped no matter what he tells himself.

Yeah, the mere fact you thought "don't get hyped, don't get hyped" means that you are going to be hyped.

14 hours ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, the mere fact you thought "don't get hyped, don't get hyped" means that you are going to be hyped.

Yeah, "Don't imagine the hype in the room." ... "W'sup?"