• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Not even close to my part of the world.  Damn it.

You can see a partial. Pinhole projection viewer is easy to make; watch the projected image, not the sun.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Oct 14 2023 Annular Solar Eclipse

Visible in Oregon in the morning, through Texas around noon - I've lived along the path of this twice, no where near it now.

Prof, this will pass over San Antonio, but not Austin. You're the closest that I know of.

We won't see the "Ring of Fire" annular eclipse from where I am, but we will get an 81% partial eclipse. We've bought pairs of ISO-approved sun-view glasses so we can look at it, and so we can look at the Big One coming up in April of next year (since we're right on its path).

I don't recall ever being in the path of totality.  Every partial I've seen has been obscured by clouds.  And I only saw an annular once where the dark disk & bright ring were fully apparent to me.

But as I often work at night, I have seen several Lunar eclipses.  Many people insist the moon takes on the colour of blood at these events. The moon usually looks copper coloured to me.

Am I looking at the wrong satilite?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Many people insist the moon takes on the colour of blood at these events. The moon usually looks copper coloured to me.

The moon normally looks orangish-brown to me.

We're very carefully avoiding being too close to the path of totality for a few days before & after - just at the time of year when we're heading south for the winter.

In western Utah, sites I found recommended being based no further north than Salt Lake - that's if you DO want to see the eclipse - so we're spending the weekend about 50 miles north of Salt Lake and some distance off the freeway and into the mountains.

Our normal migration pattern, we would have been spending tonight & tomorrow night pretty much dead center for totality - those being the two nights it would be most difficult to find a space in an RV park, and that being the absolute least likely area to find one.

Monday night should be a lot easier.

If we could have scheduled the whole thing, maybe three months ago, we might have taken a different approach. But there are reasons that wasn't feasible for us.