• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Saturday, Jan 13, 2024

NP Comic for Saturday, Jan 13, 2024

Aw, @#$%&, Oh, goody, another comic featuring Scrappy Kevin, my favorite piece of firewood stick character in the EGS comic. I need a laugh track device that I can play whenever I read his lines, to take the edge off.

Someone mentioned characters that were a stand-in for Dan. Kevin. Not the only one, not even the main one, but that's really his only purpose.

Gadzooks - I was guessing verb noun, but no, possessive plural noun. Also explains why you never see singular Gadzook.

So, since WoD is WoG for the comic, Kevin could have said, "Danzooks" (except, presumably, Dan has never been crucified, at least not physically).

Since there is no nail count involved, 'Danzook' should be sufficient.

There is the answer to your 2nd panel question, Ashley.

Also, Ashley, you forgot to mention to Kevin, the Stick of Instruction, that Tedd's device uses uryuom tech that is outside of his bailiwick, not that it really matters for his exposition.

I think the comic is missing out by not making more use of Kevin for comedy relief. I could see this as a sub-genre, 'How can we abuse Kevin this week?' I think making use of Kevin's single outstanding physical feature, he's a stick, while he's 'sleeping' could add so much. Tedd needs to stir cake batter, Kevin is handy. Oops, Kevin has cake batter all over him, run him through the dish washer. Susan gets a puppy. Let's play Fetch! Nanase and Ellen are babysitting Akiko, and they give Kevin a makeover with pain and glitter and glue on googly eyes, so he looks more like Clippy, another beloved character from a different genre. During a camping trip, beavers abduct Kevin and he becomes a part of their dwelling.

Such a delightful character.

At some point in the recent past, Dan heard or read the interjection "Gadzooks" and was determined to incorporate it into the comic.

Check that one off the list.  Still waiting on "Howdy Pardner" & "Great Caesar's Ghost".

This does seem to support the idea that magical disguises are used far more often than most people want to think.

How can we be certain of the identity of anyone?

How can I be sure that I am really me?  Could I be a spy working for the Snuffy Smith fan forums?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

How can I be sure that I am really me?

As in, "I'm not myself today"?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Could I be a spy working for the Snuffy Smith fan forums?

My mind is now sufficiently boggled, thank you. I will attempt to list similar groups.

Andy Capp fans.

Gasoline Ally fans.

Nancy fans. (Is noted for the efficiency of its art, neither over nor under represents concepts.)

Smokey Stover fans. (Have not seen in ages; I recall that the numerous background gags were often better than the comic.)

Henry fans

Ferdinand fans

Alley Oop fans

45 minutes ago, mlooney said:

That's far too modern.

It was Velma's expression of surprise on Scooby Doo, which was released in . . . ("Scooby Dooby Doo, when are you? . . .) 1969. (Hmm, I would have guessed around 1971.) I'd guesstimate it was used about once or twice per episode, always by Velma.

I'm fairly certain the expression is much older than Scooby Doo, perhaps archaic. When I heard it on Scooby Doo, it was odd, something people don't normally say, but not entirely unfamiliar. Jinkies! Jinkies! 1930s, per those articles. Might be a regional thing.

Still too modern?