• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Thursday, Jan 18, 2024

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm just over six feet tall and had to stoop in every midwest basement I've entered.  Just how large is the Verres house?

Is Tedd's lab a pocket dimension?

My folks house in Pa and my grandmother's house both had basements a 6" person could stand in comfortably. I think the ceilings were a little low, but not much. Other folks homes were similar. Significantly, grandma's house was built in the 1920s, so, we're not just talking about one era. I recall our church basement, where we had Sunday school, was also tall enough for the adults, but a bit shorter than an upstairs corridor.

During my short time at Wright Pat AFB in Ohio, we rented, and that house had a slab. Seems odd that far north. It was serviceable while we were there.

Based on what we have seen, the Verres’ basement is as tall as any typical residential room—no less than eight feet, based on the characters being unconcerned with head clearance even at 200% size (125% height).

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Based on what we have seen, the Verres’ basement is as tall as any typical residential room—no less than eight feet, based on the characters being unconcerned with head clearance even at 200% size (125% height).

Their basement looks finished. A finished ceiling is not typical, is usually added later, and would lower the clearance from the bare beams. If the basement with bare beams is made to stand up in, but with less emphasis on esthetics, you'd think 'over seven feet, but less than eight'. Then lop off a couple of inches for the ceiling, and a tiny bit for the flooring.

Theirs may be atypical. Maybe Edward anticipated the need for more room, or wanted a basement rec room, and had it built that way.

Also typically, you want to ensure your basement does not leak, so improvements beforehand are not a great idea. Spring thawing leads to excess ground water, which can seep in to a problematic basement and require remediation. You generally want to iron out these issues first. I had a friend whose dad had the contractors put pitch on the foundation, then assumed it would not leak, and it appeared he was right. Although, even then, they can leak from underneath.