• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Power is still out at my home so i am posting this on the road

Any  estimates  on when power is coming back?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

ll told, for a high cat hurricane, that does not sound too bad. No flooding?

Manatee county was in the area where the winds were blowing out to sea as the storm made landfall.  Check out Ft Meyers for serious storm surge damage.  

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Any  estimates  on when power is coming back?

Maybe today.  Maybe tomorrow.  Maybe later.  Who knows?  The McD down the block has power

Please don't think I'm trying to minimize the impact.  100 plus mph gusts can be devestating even without surge.  Several of my neighbors took great damage.

I got lucky.  As a whole, my area came through A LOT better off than some other counties not too far away.  And the difference is where the storm turned to go inland.

Three days and about four hours later, the electricity is back on.  

About as long as i ever went w/o power in Michigan in a blizzard.  

What would it take to have burried cables, rather than overhead lines, everywhere?

2 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Three days and about four hours later, the electricity is back on.  

About as long as i ever went w/o power in Michigan in a blizzard.  

What would it take to have burried cables, rather than overhead lines, everywhere?

For the scope of damage, that does not seem like a shabby response time.

We get a hurricane in this far about once every ten years. In the time I've lived here, about thirty years, they've buried the utility lines, and it has cut outages tremendously.

Just for a twist....

Twice this summer I've been hit with a power outage because a tree landed on a power line - and didn't break it.

(The line repair crews would deliberately cut power to the line while removing the tree and doing any necessary repair. Can't say I blame them.)

Now the water is cut off all over the park where I live

Not due to weather

Some of my genius neighbors drove their golf carts off the streets last night and shattered a shallow water main by hitting a water meter for another trailer

And yes, the only way to service the water line is to turn off water to the whole park

Apparently the utilities take turns going down

Urgh.  I had a water main burst a  month of so ago.  Took them 8 hours to repair.  The main was rather deep, so I don't know what made it burst. 

10 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Just for a twist....

Twice this summer I've been hit with a power outage because a tree landed on a power line - and didn't break it.

(The line repair crews would deliberately cut power to the line while removing the tree and doing any necessary repair. Can't say I blame them.)

I saw one of those a couple of summers ago. Snapped one of the poles, but the lines appeared to be fine. It happened near a bridge, and they also blocked traffic until the tree was removed and the pole replaced.

42 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Now the water is cut off all over the park where I live

Not due to weather

Some of my genius neighbors drove their golf carts off the streets last night and shattered a shallow water main by hitting a water meter for another trailer

And yes, the only way to service the water line is to turn off water to the whole park

Apparently the utilities take turns going down

Never underestimate the power of aggregated stupid people.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I know it's fall when I need to turn on my space heaters for a couple hours in the morning.

1664638845-20221001.png

Already getting chilly here in NC, went from summer to autumn in one day, like a switch had been thrown.

Storm hit and power off Wednesday afternoon.  

Power on Saturday evening.

Water off Sundae morning.

Water on Sunday afternoon.

Barring any more disasters, this is actually one of the better times weather-wise to live in this area.  

October, in Florida, is like summer almost anywhere else in the country.

1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

October, in Florida, is like summer almost anywhere else in the country.

Hence the snowbird effect.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't like weather.  Spring and fall, rain storms causing body aches and/or migraines  Summer, rain AND heat.  Winter, cold.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:

Two days ago we had a cold snap going to 25 degrees.  Today it got up to 84.  Make up your mind.

Use Kelvin, it looks more consistent.