• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Task Avoidance Thread

As if this Forum isn't dedicated to task avoidance in the first place...anyway.

This thread is strictly for avoiding whatever tasks you've been assigned or have been needing to do. Post something, anything, that will get you out of doing it.

I'll start.

0-90b9cc657c562f0f3052dac6dc60fe69.jpeg

I could have used this thread earlier; instead I listened to music. That might have been for the best though, as the music actually helped me gather the energy to do what I needed to do.

I remember being fascinated by the kids' version of this book when I was in fourth grade. Enough so that I caused a minor uprising during the math portion of classes when I whipped out its rules and beat the snot out of everyone else who was using conventional "new math"  rules in speed challenges. The teacher finally had to basically beg me to learn math the "wrong way" so that the rest of the class didn't feel left behind.

The book is the Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics. It's been superseded by computers, but in its day it was dynamite for doing math in your head. I've forgotten most of it now, sad to say, and the more complex last half of the book was always over my head. However, the first part is killer for quick computations. Check it out.

https://archive.org/details/TheTrachtenbergSpeedSystemOfBasicMathematics_201803/mode/2up

Make this the Sleep Avoidance Thread, because every time I sit down, I almost (or do) fall asleep.

I'm having hell trying to stay awake. Don't know if it's my medications or what. I've been falling asleep at the wheel, so to speak, with my computer mouse in my hand off and on for hours now. I'll get up and walk around to try and wake myself up, but when I sit down and resume computing, I fall back asleep. The only way I can stay awake to type this is to sit straight up, with my back far away from the back of the recliner chair, and with my legs up beneath me at an odd angle so that I don't get comfortable, and I'm still fighting it then. Caffeine isn't helping, in cola or coffee forms. Food isn't helping - hell, I've fallen asleep in mid-mouthful and had to clean up the remnants afterwards. I don't know what to do.

It's 8:26 a.m., and I'm dreading the coming of 9:30 a.m. - I know that as soon as Mrs. Prof finishes getting my morning cefepime IV started, I'm going to be out like a light. I know that some of you would probably say, "you're sick, you need the rest," but I've had so much sleep over the past days it's not funny. It's time for me to wake up, damn it to hell and back. Crap, I almost fell asleep just pausing my typing here a bit.

Help.

If I were in your shoes, I don't think I'd want to add 'medicate staying awake' to what you already deal with. Does walking help and is it an option?

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Does walking help and is it an option?

See below:

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'll get up and walk around to try and wake myself up, but when I sit down and resume computing, I fall back asleep.

And now, the IV antibiotics have begun. I'm pretty much stuck to the recliner for the next couple of hours, with exceptions for getting up to go to the bathroom.

I've hauled out the medium-sized guns and called the home health care nurse hotline. They're all in a meeting, so I'm waiting on a call back from one of them now.

They didn't. They told me to sleep, which I eventually did, damn it all. I'll probably sleep again, thanks to the fact that I'm still sleeping in a recliner and still taking a whole pharmacy twice a day.

Posted (edited)

Yep, it's happening again. I'm trying to read a Dorico help file, and I keep finding myself fading out on some of the most important sections. AAUUGGHH

That AAUUGGHH at the end is literal - it's a primal scream that is about the only thing that will wake me up and keep me awake for a few minutes more. Fortunately, Mrs. Prof isn't here at the moment, and the three cats don't seem to mind me doing it.

Add to it something that ought to be keeping me awake, and that's my Tunnelling PICC line to my heart. The damned thing itches where it comes out through my skin, right where they've got it covered up by a clear medical dressing. I can't scratch the thing enough to satisfy the itch.

AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH

Edited by ProfessorTomoe
AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH

You might have an allergy to the adhesive. I get a rash from off-brand adhesive bandages that aren't Band-Aid. I think it's a sensitivity to latex. Might be something to mention to your healthcare providers, they can use hypoallergenic tape.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You might have an allergy to the adhesive. I get a rash from off-brand adhesive bandages that aren't Band-Aid. I think it's a sensitivity to latex. Might be something to mention to your healthcare providers, they can use hypoallergenic tape.

Yeah. My lady has to use the clear bandaids. The regular ones cause a rash after an hour or two.

Well, whatever it was, it was somewhat alleviated by reseating the dressing. The nurse had put it on in a sideways orientation. I had her put it on in the more conventional top-to-bottom orientation, and I felt immediate relief. It still itches a little bit just by being there, but not nearly as much as before.

The sleep situation is still there, albeit not as bad. I guess. I've been asleep most of today. We shall see what the night brings.

Tomorrow is going to be interesting as well. We're doing a "down-and-back" to the Georgetown area to finally have family Christmas with the rest of Mrs. Prof's kinfolk. We'll be driving in excess of 3 hours down and 3 hours up, plus we'll have the party at one of her brothers' homes, so who knows how I'll respond. One thing is for certain - I'll be doing an IV infusion while we're in transit on the road, since the cefepime plus the vancomycin usually takes about 3 hours to infuse. My morning infusion is scheduled for sometime between 9:30 am and 10 am, so we'll probably have to pull over down just north of Waco to get it started. My nighttime infusion starts 12 hours later, so I'll most likely be home before we start it up.

No, it's not TMI, I'm just planning for myself. Gotta get this crap laid out in my head before we leave. Besides, if I get back and find the house ransacked, I'll know to whom I should point the cops at. B)

1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Tomorrow is going to be interesting as well.

Actually...no. Saturday is going to be interesting. Tomorrow (Friday) is just going to be me getting some labs re-drawn by the home health nurse and getting a haircut later in the day. The trip takes place on Saturday.