• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

On 5/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, mlooney said:

I live in a small town in Kansas.  I suspect we don't have a "loud car" ordinance.  If they do it again soon I'll see about what I can do.

Generally, any round above 9mm is going to be powerful enough to damage the engine; or a .357 mag, which is 9 with a boost. If you really want to be sure, go .50 cal if you can afford it.

You'd be better off, though, with an EMP burst to take out the electronics. Just make sure you have your own gear in a Faraday cage.

If Thor is handy, calling down lightning would work.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

My Ford T laughs at your EMP! Ha!

I suspect that a Model T can't do what this van was doing wrt sound.

4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

My Ford T laughs at your EMP! Ha!

Well, OK, but the music problem is taken care of ... unless maybe if you have a vacuum tube amplifier.

The 'laugh' function on your Ford T is almost certainly on silicon. It's fried.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

No it isn't. It's hand cranked.

Yes! A Victrola!

My grandmother had one. Hers was electric, though, with a motor for the turn table. I don't think it had any electronics at all. Pretty amazing acoustic design that it worked as well as it did. Relatively fat steel needle, too.

So, I guess I scratch my head in puzzlement, "I think that old car might be laughing ... or it has asthma in it's carburetor."

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I suspect that a Model T can't do what this van was doing wrt sound.

I feel like you're slacking by not adding me to the list for ' "loud car" ordinance'. Is the cute feline distracting you?

I haven't ranted online in a while.  Stand by for a rant.

I'm on disability.  One of the things that the SSA likes for you to do is have a direct deposit of your check.  If you don't have a bank account, they have a system where you get a debit card and your check gets deposited in it automatically on the 3rd of the month.  Works well, aside from it's web site not really having enough beans to handle the load on the 3rd and 4th of the month most months.

That, however is not why I'm ranting today.

The card account is a government run card account that they know how to make a deposit to and have been for several years.  Until just recently I had no bank account, I didn't need one, as I had access to my money via the debit card.  The IRS didn't have my information on the "where is my covid-19 check website, so I assumed that they would get the information from the SSA and make a deposit once they had it, given that I have what amounts to a government run bank account.  Silly me.  Once they had it, they, instead of doing a direct deposit, like they said they would, they sent me a paper check.   Fortunately I have an account with the local credit union or I would have been up a creek with out a paddle dealing with that check as the banks in town have closed their lobbies.  So, in short I have a monthly direct deposit run by a branch of the federal government.  Another branch of the government needs to give me some money and they don't have access to any tax information because I don't have to file income taxes.  They get, from the other branch my mailing address and send me a check instead of getting my direct deposit information and making a deposit.  They added several steps to the process, both by them and for me for no good reason.  And they wonder why people think the government is part of most problems, not the answer to most problems.

17 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I feel like you're slacking by not adding me to the list for ' "loud car" ordinance'. Is the cute feline distracting you?

Sort, but not today, see my rant as to why.  But yeah, have a couple of stars on your page of The  List.  Try not to do that again.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I haven't ranted online in a while.  Stand by for a rant.

I'm on disability.  One of the things that the SSA likes for you to do is have a direct deposit of your check.  If you don't have a bank account, they have a system where you get a debit card and your check gets deposited in it automatically on the 3rd of the month.  Works well, aside from it's web site not really having enough beans to handle the load on the 3rd and 4th of the month most months.

That, however is not why I'm ranting today.

The card account is a government run card account that they know how to make a deposit to and have been for several years.  Until just recently I had no bank account, I didn't need one, as I had access to my money via the debit card.  The IRS didn't have my information on the "where is my covid-19 check website, so I assumed that they would get the information from the SSA and make a deposit once they had it, given that I have what amounts to a government run bank account.  Silly me.  Once they had it, they, instead of doing a direct deposit, like they said they would, they sent me a paper check.   Fortunately I have an account with the local credit union or I would have been up a creek with out a paddle dealing with that check as the banks in town have closed their lobbies.  So, in short I have a monthly direct deposit run by a branch of the federal government.  Another branch of the government needs to give me some money and they don't have access to any tax information because I don't have to file income taxes.  They get, from the other branch my mailing address and send me a check instead of getting my direct deposit information and making a deposit.  They added several steps to the process, both by them and for me for no good reason.  And they wonder why people think the government is part of most problems, not the answer to most problems.

I don't do banks if I can avoid it (USAA is an exception, because USAA is exceptional. You should be eligible, from your service. They have few facilities, but they are very used to dealing with extremely remote customers); but for the most part, every credit union I've been a member of pretty much works like one, without the screw you over mentality. (I grieve the deregulation of banks) Does yours not have direct deposit? It must. All you need is the routing number and your account number, should be on your share draft pseudochecks.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

Sort, but not today, see my rant as to why.  But yeah, have a couple of stars on your page of The  List.  Try not to do that again.

... but, I'm trying to collect the set ....

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

... but, I'm trying to collect the set ....

Well, given that you are a collector, I'll keep that in mind.  Hopefully I'll have full set of spoons to deal with it later...

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't do banks if I can avoid it (USAA is an exception, because USAA is exceptional. You should be eligible, from your service. They have few facilities, but they are very used to dealing with extremely remote customers); but for the most part, every credit union I've been a member of pretty much works like one, without the screw you over mentality. (I grieve the deregulation of banks) Does yours not have direct deposit? It must. All you need is the routing number and your account number, should be on your share draft pseudochecks.

I don't trust the SSA to correctly transfer from my existent card to the credit union.  My current system of getting my "check" sent to the debit card works and I normally don't have to deal with paper checks.  If the bill that was talking about $2000 per month for 6 months gets passed I might set up direct deposit into the credit union.  As it is right now I really don't have to deal with any thing else.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I don't trust the SSA to correctly transfer from my existent card to the credit union.  My current system of getting my "check" sent to the debit card works and I normally don't have to deal with paper checks.  If the bill that was talking about $2000 per month for 6 months gets passed I might set up direct deposit into the credit union.  As it is right now I really don't have to deal with any thing else.

I haven't ordered paper checks for my current address (nor the previous two. The last time I needed one, it was easy enough to get one counter check, and they are free at the credit union, unlike a bank.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I haven't ordered paper checks for my current address (nor the previous two. The last time I needed one, it was easy enough to get one counter check, and they are free at the credit union, unlike a bank.

I got paper checks because for several months my garbage company needed a paper check as they didn't have a pay via the web option.  They now do, so I have a whole box of checks that I have nothing to use them on.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I got paper checks because for several months my garbage company needed a paper check as they didn't have a pay via the web option.  They now do, so I have a whole box of checks that I have nothing to use them on.

My psychiatrist only accepts checks or cash. For some damned reason, Mrs. Prof ordered a big, huge register-style check binder that weighs a ton. I have to remember to tear off a check before I go in for an appointment, something I regularly forget to do. I usually wind up having to mail in a check after the appointment.

1 minute ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My psychiatrist only accepts checks or cash. For some damned reason, Mrs. Prof ordered a big, huge register-style check binder that weighs a ton. I have to remember to tear off a check before I go in for an appointment, something I regularly forget to do. I usually wind up having to mail in a check after the appointment.

I keep forgetting the my shrink's clinic only takes checks or cash.  When I remember before I go I hit an ATM before I go to her office.   

I do online payment through my credit union - if they can't do it electronically, THEY send a check. Saves me a stamp. Saves me going through a bunch of checks.

Catch is, I'm still out of checks, and occasionally (once or twice a year) I need one, but for some reason the credit union currently won't let me order online. Probably due to multiple changes of address since the last time I ordered any. Whatever; they want me to come in and order them. But their nearest branch is on the far side of the second state over...

The lawn people are out making noise and making the cat upset.   At least she isn't hiding in the kitchen like she normally  does when they come by, but she isn't a happy camper right now.

They are installing a new sink in the other side of the house.  Using power tools.  I have a mild headache that this is not helping.

19 minutes ago, mlooney said:

They are installing a new sink in the other side of the house.  Using power tools.  I have a mild headache that this is not helping.

The kitchen of the other side of the house is just the other side of the internal wall between my bed room and that side of the house.  Explorer has decided that she's going to hang out in my kitchen for a while.  Don't rightly blame her.

54 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Record it an play it back some night when they are trying to sleep. "It's the only time I could get a work crew to come over."

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Record it an play it back some night when they are trying to sleep. "It's the only time I could get a work crew to come over."

Well, these are hired workmen, not the tenant.  I was told that he (or she, could be either) will be moving in next week.  I'm glad because that means they will stop working on that side of the house once it's rented.  At least they should.