• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

The supplied water at Pennsic is safe to drink, in that there isn't any pathogens in it, but has so much suspended iron in it that it will leave a pink stain on anything that gets in contact with it that isn't filtered first.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I would imagine you could taste that, and it would not be pleasant.

Yeah, it tastes like a rusty nail.  There is a reason why the household gets dozens of pallets of bottled water.  

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

They don’t sell the Throwback version in your area?

Not that I've seen recently.  Throwback was Pepsi and Mt Dew.  Dr Pepper was "Heritage".  Google shows that it's an expense option on Amazon.

Skim Milk can be useful if you are making your own cottage cheese.  It helps if you also have heavy cream and lots of salt to finish it off 

Otherwise, it is just water after someone cleans out their white paint brushes 

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Skim Milk can be useful if you are making your own cottage cheese.  It helps if you also have heavy cream and lots of salt to finish it off 

It wasn't bad on Rice Chexs, but I added 2 tea spoons of sugar.  I've got some powdered whole milk, I think I'm going to make a pitcher of it, being half powered and half skim milk.  See how it goes.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I used to keep powdered milk handy for when I ran out of milk. I have not seen it for sale in my area for around ten years.

I got it through Amazon.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:32 PM, mlooney said:

Skim milk may work in tea, I haven't tested that yet, but it's not a good glass of milk drink.

I regularly have cereal in skim milk for breakfast, and it's a pretty good combo. In my rather limited experience skim milk is also pretty good when cooking things that require milk if you want less fat.

On 9/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Except paint would (presumably) taste horrible. Skim milk just tastes bland.

That said, unless you need the calcium or don't have access to good drinking water, it probably is better to just drink water rather than skim milk.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I regularly have cereal in skim milk for breakfast, and it's a pretty good combo

I did that as well.  Not bad, but not great either.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Except paint would (presumably) taste horrible.

Supposedly, lead paint tastes sweet, which is why toddles eat the paint chips, which contributes to why they are dangerous.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I regularly have cereal in skim milk for breakfast, and it's a pretty good combo. In my rather limited experience skim milk is also pretty good when cooking things that require milk if you want less fat.

. . . Skim milk just tastes bland.

My mom always brought skimmed milk. It is what i was used to. Having options as an chronological adult, I do not use skimmed milk. Usually, I'll purchase 2%. It still tastes like real milk. If I am stuck using skimmed milk, maybe in coffee, it is tolerable. It would be my last choice over any milk and/or cream combo.

For cooking, I would want to stick with what the recipe calls for. I think a chowder made with skimmed milk would taste 'off'.

I'm so used to skim milk that non-skim milk tastes really rich to me (though 1% or 2% isn't too bad), almost indulgent. The thing is, I'm not a huge fan of the taste of milk, so I wouldn't bother buying whole milk just to "indulge".

As for using it in cooking, I haven't had any issues, but I don't cook anything with a complicated recipe. (Cooking anything much more complicated than boxed pasta or the like tends to take more spoons (figuratively speaking) than I have to spare.) My parents also usually use skim milk (and have since I was fairly young), though sometimes they'll get 2% or even whole milk when baking and/or making deserts.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If I am stuck using skimmed milk, maybe in coffee, it is tolerable.

In my tea it was just barely tolerable.  Didn't taste any where near right.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

In my tea it was just barely tolerable.  Didn't taste any where near right.

Ultimately, yeah. I've tried powdered milk, canned milks, long term cartonized storage milks (Dollar Tree had that for a while), fake milks . . . other than maybe outliers in the fake milks that I tried once and didn't like (maybe, because I did not try them a second time if I didn't like them, and I don't recall the tastes), skimmed milk ranks below them all.

I'm being asked to swallow something I don't like. 

For some reason listed only as an "Overage On My Ledger", I am getting a Ten Dollar discount on my rent for December.

Then starting in January, my rent goes up $44.00 per month.