• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Wednesday, Jun 19, 2019

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I noticed, and Nurture was quick to talk about seeing Diane again instead of acknowledging it, it's more evidence that Susan's trying to bury what happened, rather than face it.

Maybe Susan is seeing that she had three years to learn how to fight, and didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I would say that this dialogue IS Susan thinking about it. And, again, Susan is only isolating herself because she lacks anyone to talk to who would be "safe" in terms of not risking talking about this. Compare to how eager Diane was to talk to Justin just to not think about Pandora. Susan already has lot of experience with isolating herself, that doesn't necessary mean she deals with it worse. Nor better, of course.

Diane was considering the reasons for Adrian to not have known about her being his daughter, that's a least a positive step. Susan was arguing with herself to stay convinced that she doesn't want to talk to anyone about the whole incident. That's not all that positive. Just because she's had experience isolating herself doesn't make it anymore healthy for her.

My point wasn't that it's healthy, it was that from all possible ways to not dealing with it properly isolating would be the most likely one she tries.

And seeing Diane IS counterargument to isolating herself.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I noticed, and Nurture was quick to talk about seeing Diane again instead of acknowledging it, it's more evidence that Susan's trying to bury what happened, rather than face it.

Just like Diane was quick to think about apologizing to "Jason" the moment she -

WAIT.

That's the difference.

Diane seems to be dealing little better with the part about Adrian Raven being her father. She totally buries Pandora being her grandmother, immortal, and dead.

Susan doesn't seem to deal better with ANY part of what happened, but it's actually possible there are parts she has no problems with. The part about Adrian Raven is NOT such part, though. She seems to have problem with Pandora being dead as well.

It's easy to see both of them trying to deal with very similar stuff and compare that, but they react differently to different PARTS of it and we didn't even SAW their reactions to some parts.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe Susan is seeing that she had three years to learn how to fight, and didn't.

I'm still finding it illogical. Really, she bought a sword ; I totally expected she will at least TRY to learn how to fight with it. On the other hand, her not processing it logically is sort of the point here.

Note that neither Diane nor Susan seem to think about the fact that just because most aberrations are dead they shouldn't skip ... wait, let's try again without triple negative. Despite most aberrations being dead, they should still get at least some fight training for case some aberration decides to kill them.

I wonder if they would consider training with Greg better than with Adrian Raven? Sure, Adrian is likely more qualified, but Greg is not related to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

And seeing Diane IS counterargument to isolating herself.

Only because her and Diane agreed to not talk about it, but Diane's probably closer to being able to talk about it than Susan is, which is why I think Diane's probably going to give Susan a kick in the arse about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note that neither Diane nor Susan seem to think about the fact that just because most aberrations are dead they shouldn't skip ... wait, let's try again without triple negative. Despite most aberrations being dead, they should still get at least some fight training for case some aberration decides to kill them.

Also because non-aberrations like Damien and not-Tengu are still out there, and are likely to become more common now that old magics have been restored.

I'm implying that what's really bothering Susan most is that she knows if she had trained with Nanase she might have saved Pandora.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Additional thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

She totally buries Pandora being her grandmother, immortal, and dead.

It's probably more than that, like I said before, she just found out that Pandora and Adrian are her biological relatives. Pandora being an Immortal probably means nothing to her compared to having just met your grandmother for the first time and then watching her technically die within minutes.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm still finding it illogical. Really, she bought a sword ; I totally expected she will at least TRY to learn how to fight with it. On the other hand, her not processing it logically is sort of the point here.

Maybe the sword was already a fixture in the house that Susan just tossed into the chest, she likely didn't expect to have to use it for more than intimidation at least until after she was done school and maybe had more time to learn how to fight. It could also have been a kneejerk reaction shortly after returning home but hadn't put any serious thought into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I wonder if they would consider training with Greg better than with Adrian Raven? Sure, Adrian is likely more qualified, but Greg is not related to them.

Greg would be good for training non-weapon fighting styles, but Adrian is the one who has the most experience with using blades, so Susan and Diane would probably want to get his guidance on learning to use their weapon-summoning ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe the sword was already a fixture in the house that Susan just tossed into the chest, she likely didn't expect to have to use it for more than intimidation at least until after she was done school and maybe had more time to learn how to fight. It could also have been a kneejerk reaction shortly after returning home but hadn't put any serious thought into it.

Susan brought out a sword way back in the second fight with the Goo in Sister. Greg asked her where she got it. But Susan didn't use it. She obviously got a lot of practice with hammers, but as far as we know never practiced with either one of her swords (she revealed she had two the night before she met Jerry).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Greg would be good for training non-weapon fighting styles,

And he would know where to find trainers for kendo and maybe fencing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Scotty said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And seeing Diane IS counterargument to isolating herself.

Only because her and Diane agreed to not talk about it, but Diane's probably closer to being able to talk about it than Susan is, which is why I think Diane's probably going to give Susan a kick in the arse about this.

Not talking about it is not healthy, but you can do plenty of not talking without isolating yourself.

42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Also because non-aberrations like Damien and not-Tengu are still out there, and are likely to become more common now that old magics have been restored.

THOSE however are not likely to specifically target people with weapon summoning talent. Granted, not being specifically targeted is not much consolation when you end up dead.

43 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I'm implying that what's really bothering Susan most is that she knows if she had trained with Nanase she might have saved Pandora.

No way.

I mean no way she would be able to save Pandora if she had trained with Nanase. Unless, in addition to learning how to fight, she would get some ranged weapons more effective than stun hammers and fairies.

Regarding the possibility of Susan being bothered by it ... ok that is definitely possible.

25 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

She totally buries Pandora being her grandmother, immortal, and dead.

It's probably more than that, like I said before, she just found out that Pandora and Adrian are her biological relatives. Pandora being an Immortal probably means nothing to her compared to having just met your grandmother for the first time and then watching her technically die within minutes.

The "grandmother" and "dead" parts are probably more important to her now, yes. I was just summarizing.

Note how Grace though about possibly being seen as monster by Rhoda: did Diane though about her being quarter immortal from this angle yet? We don't know. One possibility is that she though about it and rejected it as pointless worry. Another is that it's something she doesn't want to think about either.

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm still finding it illogical. Really, she bought a sword ; I totally expected she will at least TRY to learn how to fight with it. On the other hand, her not processing it logically is sort of the point here.

Maybe the sword was already a fixture in the house that Susan just tossed into the chest, she likely didn't expect to have to use it for more than intimidation at least until after she was done school and maybe had more time to learn how to fight. It could also have been a kneejerk reaction shortly after returning home but hadn't put any serious thought into it.

Maybe.

If it was fixture, it would mean she's risking her mother will notice it's missing. In any case, she enchanted the trunk, obtained the sword and put it into the trunk. That's some effort motivated either by logically evaluating she might be target, or by fear.

Not following it with any training is not logical. Understandable, but not logical.

7 minutes ago, ijuin said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I wonder if they would consider training with Greg better than with Adrian Raven? Sure, Adrian is likely more qualified, but Greg is not related to them.

Greg would be good for training non-weapon fighting styles, but Adrian is the one who has the most experience with using blades, so Susan and Diane would probably want to get his guidance on learning to use their weapon-summoning ability.

Greg MAY have some experience with weapon fighting we just didn't saw (black belt in three disciplines). Even if not, he can teach them something about fighting in general.

Sure, Adrian Raven would be more qualified, but Greg will still be better than nothing. And as I said, not relative.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

And he would know where to find trainers for kendo and maybe fencing.

Also this, yes. Even if he personally don't know kendo, he is likely to at least know someone who does.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan brought out a sword way back in the second fight with the Goo in Sister. Greg asked her where she got it. But Susan didn't use it. She obviously got a lot of practice with hammers, but as far as we know never practiced with either one of her swords (she revealed she had two the night before she met Jerry).

Yes. Also good point with her having "couple" of swords, which may mean even more than two ... which, of course, doesn't change the fact she could've steal some fixture.

To be fair, goo is hard to fight with sword even if you DO know how to fight with one. And, she did tried: it's hard to see but in second panel she is striking the goo with the sword.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

So far no one seems to have noticed the real surprise in this comic: Susan admitting that she wishes Raven was her father. 

That was surprising? It made so much sense to me I half expected Dan to link to a previous comic where it had already been established. I mean, he is an older male relative who is father to her "twin", and much of what she knows about him is positive, as opposed to her actual father who she has so many negative feelings about; it seems only natural she'd feel this way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
On 6/21/2019 at 0:18 AM, Tom Sewell said:

So far no one seems to have noticed the real surprise in this comic: Susan admitting that she wishes Raven was her father. 

That was surprising? It made so much sense to me I half expected Dan to link to a previous comic where it had already been established. I mean, he is an older male relative who is father to her "twin", and much of what she knows about him is positive, as opposed to her actual father who she has so many negative feelings about; it seems only natural she'd feel this way.

It's natural and not really surprising the feels this way.

The surprising part is admitting it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this