• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

NP Comic for Tuesday, Feb 22, 2022

54 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So someone in authority is able to restrain Grace longer than necessary?

I wonder who gave the order to stop asking questions & release her?

The nurse would be observing Grace for signs of a concussion. She would hold her in the nurse's office for some time to make sure, it would not be an instantaneous determination. Grace, being Grace, might give off an, 'I'm not exactly normal' vibe, that might lead the nurse to want to observe longer - alluded to in the comic with "I didn't know where the nurse's office was" (to be entirely fair, I didn't know where the nurse's office was in my High School either, I never had occasion to go there. I assume we had one), and "I wonder how the gym teacher knew that?" The nurse herself would be the person determining the necessity, (s)he would typically be the only medical authority on site. (S)he would also be used to kids using her to ditch classes, and consuming her time and office space needlessly, and would be motivated to not hold Grace longer than necessary.

In terms of authority to hold Grace there, I believe schools operate with the understanding that for the most part, the students in the school are minors in their custody for the duration of the school day; the nurse has, in effect delegated parental authority to make medical decisions on behalf of the student. Grace, being 18, could presumably have walked out any time she wanted to. Many of the seniors, those born in the first part of the year, would be turning 18 before graduation, so she is not alone in this (based on what I recall of US education timelines. The comic is based in a fictitious US, so that part is not off. I believe the graduation timeline is for the most part the same.)

Regarding Dan's commentary on the date:

02-22-2022 is mm-dd-yyyy, conventional in the US, and perhaps no where else? It is weirdly middle-endian. 2:20 AM would give two sets of four consecutive 2s, bracketed by zeros, with nice symmetry.

2022-02-22 is yyyy-mm-dd, this is most significant units to the left. I think I recall this as how dates are done in the US military. This pattern has a nice progression of the number of consecutive 2s ascending. 0:22:22 AM continues the pattern one more step.

22-02-2022, dd-mm-yyyy, (not mentioned), least significant first, is also commonly used throughout the world. This one has three groups of two consecutive 2s. A sequence of 22s. A 22 train. Best time would be 0:22 AM, for four consecutive 22s

It is also common to only show the last two digits (least significant) of the year. If you do that to the first one, you get 02-22-22, five consecutive 2s.

If you can hold out until 2222, you can have even more 2s.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

I don't suppose the volley counts as a canon ball....

It's definitely non-cannonical.

Huh, the game is badly named. A volley is multiple guns firing at the same time. To actually be 'volley' ball, there should be a line of servers each serving a ball in unison. Calvin, we need rules for this!

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Many of the seniors, those born in the first part of the year, would be turning 18 before graduation, so she is not alone in this (based on what I recall of US education timelines. The comic is based in a fictitious US, so that part is not off. I believe the graduation timeline is for the most part the same.)

Plus Grace is more or less a year older than the rest of the main 8.  She was "held back a year" due to her "home schooling" when Edward got her in school.  This wasn't explicitly stated, but it matches know facts.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

2022-02-22 is yyyy-mm-dd, this is most significant units to the left. I think I recall this as how dates are done in the US military. This pattern has a nice progression of the number of consecutive 2s ascending. 0:22:22 AM continues the pattern one more step.

I've long preferred this format when writing dates in numeral form. After all, when we write big numbers, the most significant digits are on the left, so it only makes sense to continue that line of big-to-small through month and day. Also, if you don't shorten the year, it greatly reduces the chance of confusion over which number represents what, as year-day-month isn't very popular (whereas month-day-year and day-month-year are both popular enough that you never know which you're going to encounter).

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If you can hold out until 2222, you can have even more 2s.

My favorite number is 4, so I'm looking forward to 4:44 AM on April 4, 4444.