• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Sketchbook: Thursday, April 14, 2016

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, Crusade didn't really grab my attention like B5 did.

B5 took the first season to set the stage, then it got really good. 

Crusade was still doing groundwork, it probably would have improved just like B5. 

a lot of shows that are intended to have continuous plot lines and multiple seasons have pacing problems due to setting introduction, establishment of the status quo, and character introduction, in the first season. that's pretty normal and it's hardly fair to judge a series' merits on that alone. It's one of the reasons why I usually wait for a show's 2nd season to start before I watch any of it.

You know, I was going to say that the main reason I didn't get into it was because it felt like the show was jumping back and forth so much that nothing made sense. I just looked at the wiki page for Crusade and the broadcast order is just nuts.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

You know, I was going to say that the main reason I didn't get into it was because it felt like the show was jumping back and forth so much that nothing made sense. I just looked at the wiki page for Crusade and the broadcast order is just nuts.

Yup, I don't think any other show have FIVE incompatible orderings. Also, the network interfered with the production. Either in misguided attempt to make the show more popular, or in attempt to kill it and get out of the contract. Or possibly first the first and then the second.

Wait wait wait... wikipedia has a chronological order and a separate canonical order?!
So, there is a CANON chronological discontinuity on top of being filmed in the wrong order, AND being shown in an entirely different order than it was filmed or scripted?

I take back what I said about first season growing pains, I didn't know that show was THIS messed up...

How do you even do that short of deliberate sabotage?

Who says it wasn't deliberate sabotage?  One of the main theories is that TNT wanted out of their contract, so they deliberately interfered with the show until it was, well, a mess, and then argued JMS hadn't delivered what was cintracted.

Agreed about the people running cable networks.  The "Sci-Fi Channel" seemed to make a habit of cancelling their second-most-popular show every year or two for a while there.  Said they were too expensive to make because of all the special effects.  That's right, people running a science fiction channel were opposed to their shows having special effects.  It got so bad that for a while they were showing WWF/WWE "professional wrestling" shows, which granted would fit the 'fiction' part of the name, but 'science'?

10 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

How do you even do that short of deliberate sabotage?

9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It's not easy. Not everyone has what it takes to be a network CEO.

Monty Python, I believe, put it best.

Reg: You do a lot of this sort of thing, do you?

BBC Man: Quite a lot yes, quite a lot. I'm mainly in comedy. I'd like to be in Programming Planning actually, but unfortunately I've got a degree.

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/jokesales.php