• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Lack of sleep, like barely 4 hours.....

Civ VI struck hard, was playing with some friends, was like "Oh I'll quit at 2am and it'll be fine, don't have to work tomorrow"

Then Brazil (my empire) got war decced by by the Aztecs, then England and then Arabia (who was friends with me up until they decided they didn't like me spreading my Bananabread religion to other cities, though they were throwing apostles all over spreading Islam).

Next thing I know, I've conquered the Aztecs (Montezuma got MY revenge) and Queen Victoria's England (She was apparently hated by EVERYONE on the map) and had both made peace with Arabia for a bit, then he declared war on me again because I just would not let Islam take hold in my cities (we are the Bananabread Republic after all!), and it was shortly after 6am....

So I tried to get some sleep, but I've stated before how hard that could be for someone that lives on a fairly heavy traffic street.

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Lack of sleep, like barely 4 hours.....

Civ VI struck hard, was playing with some friends, was like "Oh I'll quit at 2am and it'll be fine, don't have to work tomorrow"

This brings back memories of first getting Civilization. The first one. In 1991. One More Turn syndrome set in HARD, and suddenly I noticed sunlight streaming in through the window. I had started my game early in the evening.

Mind you, it also brings back memories of playing Civ 4. Specifically, the religion bit. I tried to introduce Christianity to Washington D.C. and failed miserably. I couldn't help but wonder if the game was trying to tell me something.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

This brings back memories of first getting Civilization. The first one. In 1991. One More Turn syndrome set in HARD, and suddenly I noticed sunlight streaming in through the window. I had started my game early in the evening.

Mind you, it also brings back memories of playing Civ 4. Specifically, the religion bit. I tried to introduce Christianity to Washington D.C. and failed miserably. I couldn't help but wonder if the game was trying to tell me something.

Yeah, my first experience was with Civ II, someone had installed it on the library computers at the Highschool, so I pretty much played it for half an hour before classes in the morning and then during my lunch period, I only once accidentally missed a class because of it.

Ooh, Civilization. Only three more days until Steam finishes downloading it onto my computer. Yeah, I have a really slow connection--sometimes I am lucky to get one megabit from it.

yay (tm Fluffershy)  My cable from China got here.  Damn good thing I found one in my big box of cables or I would have spent a lot of time glaring at my useless 21 vertical monitor.  Important note, when ordering from Newegg, make sure the product is shipped from Newegg.  They are fast and reliable about tracking.  Some of their suppliers, not so much.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

Ooh, Civilization. Only three more days until Steam finishes downloading it onto my computer. Yeah, I have a really slow connection--sometimes I am lucky to get one megabit from it.

Yeesh, I have a 6 megabit connection and it took 2 hours to download, though I downloaded Elder Scrolls Online a while back and it took 2 days lol

Back in the 80s, I used to live on a half-acre tract south of Austin (technically in the city of Kyle, but really just out in Hays county). We developed an official fire ant "infestation," as defined by the State of Texas at the time. I went out and bought some Amdro pellets and some Orthene powdered insecticide, both recommended by county extension agents. I spent almost a whole day walking my land, first scattering Amdro pellets with a hand-cranked distributor, then repeated the path, powdering the top of each fire ant bed I could find. It was a long day, but I got it done and our fire ant infestation quickly went away.

I am becoming much less gruntled by Dropbox.  Their latest version for OS X Does Not Play Well With Others.  It also loses it's happy little mind if you do a hard reset of the machine, because, for example, Adobe Flash takes Firefox down, which makes the whole machine have the speed of an original IBM AT running Windows 2.0.   I would say that I'm less than happy about Adobe Flash, but that's a given. 

I'm also less than fully gruntled by Adobe Creative Files for the same reason.  Also a trivial reason to be annoyed with ACF is that unlike every other thing that lives in the upper right corner of the screen on OS X, it doesn't respond to a right click, only a left click.  This is annoying because the 4 of the other 5 cloud clients I use only respond to a right click.

This is sort of my own fault, due to both Dropbox and ACF both looking at the some of same files (via symlinks in Dropbox's case).  It also may be that Apple System 21.6's1 file arbitration isn't working the way I expect a Unix like OS to work.

1OS X was named that because it was the 10th version of an operating system for Mac's.  Each dot release after that should, in fact be a new number, and would be in a rational world, but the reality distortion field that Apple generates makes that impossible.  The version I'm running is 10.11.6, which to any body else would be 21.6.  And I say System because until version 6 or 7 they didn't say "OS", they said "System".  So, keeping with their original naming scheme, "OS X 10.11.6" should be System 21.6.

On 10/23/2016 at 2:22 AM, Don Edwards said:

My understanding is that fire ants are often considerably more than just annoying.

Meanwhile, the next board with new messages is The Weather... which is just annoying.

Quite but they aren't that bad as of yet.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Adobe

There your problem right there. Seriously though, they gotten a bit too full of themselves and it's been being reflected in things like that & the travesty Flash has become.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

This is sort of my own fault, due to both Dropbox and ACF both looking at the some of same files (via symlinks in Dropbox's case).  It also may be that Apple System 21.6's1 file arbitration isn't working the way I expect a Unix like OS to work.

1OS X was named that because it was the 10th version of an operating system for Mac's.  Each dot release after that should, in fact be a new number, and would be in a rational world, but the reality distortion field that Apple generates makes that impossible.  The version I'm running is 10.11.6, which to any body else would be 21.6.  And I say System because until version 6 or 7 they didn't say "OS", they said "System".  So, keeping with their original naming scheme, "OS X 10.11.6" should be System 21.6.

Then of course joy of joy they are confusing the issue even more next version by making it macOS (10.12.1) instead of Mac OS X.

Apple's reality distortion field is so powerful that it has convinced Microsoft to adopt a similar version naming/numbering scheme, what with the "Windows 10 will be the name of all editions of Windows for the forseeable future" stuff.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Apple's reality distortion field is so powerful that it has convinced Microsoft to adopt a similar version naming/numbering scheme, what with the "Windows 10 will be the name of all editions of Windows for the forseeable future" stuff.

Microsoft has always had a weird numbering thing.   At least three versions didn't have a number attached.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

Microsoft has always had a weird numbering thing.   At least three versions didn't have a number attached.

And how Windows 95/98/98SE/ME were Version 4 and 2000/XP were Version 5 and Vista/7/8/8.1 were Version 6 while 10 is Version 10 (in no small part due to the fact that if they used Version 7, 8, or 9 software would actually have broken because of the way compatibility check are run on Windows causing thing to confuse Version 7 with Windows 7, Version 8 with Windows 8 Version 9 with Windows 9x).

Then there's the issue of service packs

That said I find how Mozilla & Chrome jump a whole version for their Browser on the slightest excuse every bit as annoying as you find Apple 10.x thing. As little as Chrome has changed there is no excuse for them to be up to version 54 already.

God, I wish I could use Arch Linux for everything I do, including running my current software.

/* runs off to try and convince Cakewalk, Native Instruments, and Waves to create Linux ports of their programs and plugins */

6 hours ago, PSadlon said:

And how Windows 95/98/98SE/ME were Version 4 and 2000/XP were Version 5 and Vista/7/8/8.1 were Version 6 while 10 is Version 10

Are you talking about what you get when you open a command line and type 'ver' (or call the underlining API for that)?  That shows what version of command.com / cmd.exe you are running and tells you what "features" you can expect from the batch language.   Roughly the same as --version, -v, or -V on Unix like programs.

6 hours ago, PSadlon said:

That said I find how Mozilla & Chrome jump a whole version for their Browser on the slightest excuse every bit as annoying as you find Apple 10.x thing. As little as Chrome has changed there is no excuse for them to be up to version 54 already.

Firefox ESR for the win.  Or SeaMonkey.  Both of those avoid the version number upgrades every 45 days loop.

The underlying API. Most humans have a far easier time making sense of the info retrieved by it than the apps running on Windows do (even those made by Microsoft).

Well I did mention Mozilla (who make Firefox and SeaMonkey) and many of the times the changes in those 45 day cycles don't rate a full version either. Thank god most of the plugin makers decided to not set max version compatibility flags anymore.

Another annoying thing is because it IS a military transmitter annex they can't put cell towers near it or directed towards it. Six years ago they removed 11 of the 12 antennas from it and there is talk of the city taking it over but as you can imagine cell reception around it is utter crap. Did I mention I live a block away?

People that make statements, that have legal ramification, about their text, referencing capitalized and italic text, then use a completely non standard font for the text in question, making it almost impossible to make a good faith decision as to what is or is not capitalized or italic.

The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0: Ultramodern5, all proper nouns, capitalized terms, italicized terms, artwork, maps, symbols, depictions, and illustrations, except such elements that already appear in the System Reference Document or have been released as Open Content

Snarl, etc.

Every other time I've checked the webcam just outside Wrigley after a game, the big marquee's message section had either the score, or an announcement of "CUBS WIN!"  Usually alternating between the two.

Tonight, there's been nothing but a succession of ads.  A health insurance company, an energy drink, a restaurant...the closest they've gotten to anything related to the game is requests to "Like" them on facebook and follow their twitter account.

A lot of people come to the front of the stadium after a big game to get their picture taken in front of that famous sign.  You would think they could spare at least one image in ten for the score so people could show what game they were celebrating!

On 03/11/2016 at 11:46 PM, mlooney said:

Spam, in general, but those that I can't even start to read, in that they aren't using a western alphabet is even more so.

Ah, so spammers are embracing globalisation and diversity. Too bad they haven't researched their target market and have more targeted email campaigns.