• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

1,098 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I don't believe it, but talking Mrs. Prof into putting a few things on her Amazon wishlist wasn't so difficult. I don't know exactly what she's got online, but she'd be very grateful for anything you'd care to send.

Her Amazon account is at bjfnord@yahoo.com . Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it. Thank you very much, from both of us.

No trouble accessing it, but it isn't set to allow third party sellers access to your address, it seems. Could you fix that, please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

No trouble accessing it, but it isn't set to allow third party sellers access to your address, it seems. Could you fix that, please?

I'll get her to get on to that once she gets up. I'm on my weird sleep schedule again—it's 3:45 a.m. CDT here, and I'm waiting for pain medicine time. Mrs. Prof won't be getting up for several hours yet, and even then it'll take a while before her coffee kicks in to where she can figure out the setting (I wasn't even aware of it!).

Thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

No trouble accessing it, but it isn't set to allow third party sellers access to your address, it seems. Could you fix that, please?

It took some doing (she was still assimilating her morning coffee—it was like pulling tigers' teeth trying to walk her through the process), but the problem has been fixed. Also note that she should have only one wish list now, where she did have two.

Despite the above snark, she is very grateful, as am I for her. She deserves something for being my involuntary chauffeur/cook/maid/everything else during this ordeal. Our thanks go out in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

It took some doing (she was still assimilating her morning coffee—it was like pulling tigers' teeth trying to walk her through the process), but the problem has been fixed. Also note that she should have only one wish list now, where she did have two.

Despite the above snark, she is very grateful, as am I for her. She deserves something for being my involuntary chauffeur/cook/maid/everything else during this ordeal. Our thanks go out in advance!

That worked. I have now sent a little something Mrs. Prof's way. Incidentally, as a fellow cat lover (which my wife is, too) I highly approve of and admire her work!

ProfessorTomoe likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That worked. I have now sent a little something Mrs. Prof's way. Incidentally, as a fellow cat lover (which my wife is, too) I highly approve of and admire her work!

Wow! She's going to be so excited when it gets here. (I made sure to have her keep "spoilers" turned off. ^_^ ). Thank you! I'll make sure she gets the approval as well.

In other news, we're about to try and figure out how to get me in and out of this moon boot so that I can take a shower, along with how I can use the shower stool with my knees all banged up and with me having trouble standing. Got to be at the imaging place for the CT scan by 1:15 p.m., and it's currently 11:32 a.m. CDT. It'll be about a 45 minute drive, including time to drop off a prescription for more pain medication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, so his appendix is apparently enlarged, but not inflamed, and since his pain went down instead of up he was sent home. 

This kinda worries me. It's his appendix. We caught it earlier than we caught mine. Why leave it knowing it's bad and could get worse? 

Apparently, the reason he had to go to the children's hospital is because he had to get an ultrasound to check his innards, and the doctor didn't know how to give one to a 13-year-old and didn't want an incorrect reading. Never mind that he's five-foot-six and 170 pounds. He's too young. Ship him to the children's hospital. 

Also, why an ultrasound and not a CT scan? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4:39 a.m. CDT 20170514. Shower taken and CT scan done without problems. The one bit we did think would run smoothly turned out to be a real beech. That bit? Getting my hydrocodone refilled.

Quick refresher: I'd had my hydrocodone issued on April 18th. I'd taken 3x-a-day through May 2nd, with the exception of a 4th pill by doctor's orders on April 30th. On May 3rd, I was switched from 3x-a-day to 4x-a-day and given a new paper prescription, to be filled on May 13th. Well, we went to our CVS on that date (yesterday) on the way to the CT scan and tried to get it filled. No dice. They said the earliest I could get it filled was Monday the 15th.

I would have run out after one dose on the 14th. Unacceptable to Mrs. Prof. However, I had to be at the CT scan appointment. We told them to check with the insurance again and that we'd be back.

Well, we returned, and still no dice. Mrs. Prof decided to take them on. She dialed up the insurance company, who had no problem with the deal. CVS said it wasn't the insurance, it was state regulations and some arcane math involving how many days prior to when I'd run out that I was allowed to refill. She was fighting a losing battle. The pharmacist told her she could always go to another pharmacy and see if they'd fill it (always a bad sign). She finally came back over to me in the waiting area, where I told her to gather her stuff so that we could just go home.

I won't go into the details of what followed, other than to say her interpretation of the situation and mine were different in some areas. Go figure. I was exhausted and fell asleep.

Next thing I knew, the phone rang. She was at another pharmacy, getting the prescription filled, and would be home soon.

When she got home, she handed me my prescription along with a sheet of paper showing how many pills I was supposed to have taken. She came up with me running out on the 13th. According to her, she contacted the other pharmacist, explained the situation, explained her math, and got nothing but agreement from the pharmacist. That's what prompted her to go to the other pharmacy, (I just hope there were no provisions in the pain management forms I filled out about being forced to stick with one pharmacy).

I hate pharmacies. The worst are pure bureaucracy, with no real caring for their customers. Just fill what gets faxed, transmitted, or handed over, interpret it as an X number of days prescription no matter what, and do not flex from that calculation, especially if the medicine involved is a controlled substance. No listening to customer pleas allowed.

No medical plans for today or Monday, other than to make sure I don't take any of the pills on my pre-lumbar caudal injection "stop list." I can take a couple of days' rest.

Then things really get busy on Tuesday. Dear Lord, do they get busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I hate pharmacies. The worst are pure bureaucracy, with no real caring for their customers. Just fill what gets faxed, transmitted, or handed over, interpret it as an X number of days prescription no matter what, and do not flex from that calculation, especially if the medicine involved is a controlled substance. No listening to customer pleas allowed.

We have two near where I live and they are like day and night. One is swift, competent, customer friendly. In general, it takes like three to five minutes to get an order filled. The other was spawned somewhere on the slopes of Acheron. It spends almost half an hour on each order -- I measured this -- and the people there are rude, surly and hate helping customers. It is always insanely crowded in there, possibly to do with hours long waiting times, and since they have no idea what air conditioning is, somehow the place manages to be hot and humid even in winter. I do not understand how they are still in business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife handed me the CD containing the CT scan of my foot from yesterday. I was able to find several breaks, but not all of the ones the podiatrist pointed out. However, I found one that he wasn't sure was a break. It's in one of the small, round bones below the second bone of the big toe, called a sesamoid bone. He said it would be extremely unusual if it were fractured—more likely, there was an injury to the surrounding tissue.

If I read the CT scan correctly, the left sesamoid bone is broken clean in two. Yikes.

He's going to have hell fixing things Friday.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

My wife handed me the CD containing the CT scan of my foot from yesterday. I was able to find several breaks, but not all of the ones the podiatrist pointed out. However, I found one that he wasn't sure was a break. It's in one of the small, round bones below the second bone of the big toe, called a sesamoid bone. He said it would be extremely unusual if it were fractured—more likely, there was an injury to the surrounding tissue.

If I read the CT scan correctly, the left sesamoid bone is broken clean in two. Yikes.

He's going to have hell fixing things Friday.

*wince* I wish him and you good luck. Give my regards to Mrs. Prof.

ProfessorTomoe likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Prof, I hope your podiatrist is good at jigsaw puzzles...

I do, too. I wish there were some way I could post the images from the CT scan, but I don't have the software to convert it to something suitable for YouTube. From what I could see, there's only one or two complete dislocation fractures, but they haven't moved too far out of position. The nasty stuff is the way some of the bone split.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5:36 a.m. CDT 20170515. The anxiety-ridden waiting period begins, and I've got a head start. The only anti-anxiety medicine I can have is Ativan (lorazepam), and then only 0.5 mg per dose 4x a day. It's not doing its job at the moment. I keep thinking about being without any water and without any pain relief medicine from midnight tomorrow through the foot pre-op testing at 11:00 a.m. CDT until sometime after the lumbar caudal injection at 2:45 p.m. CDT. If the epidural injection procedure is anything like the last one I had, I won't even be put under—just sedated, a bit beyond mildly. Mrs. Prof is definitely bringing my hydrocodone with her so that I can take it once I'm out of the hospital, if they don't give me any pain relief after the procedure.

So what's there to be anxious about? [insert anxious laugh here]

I'm still trying to coordinate things for Friday's foot operation. I think there's something that the nurse is supposed to e-mail to me that I'm supposed to fill out, sign, then scan and e-mail back. I'm going to have to call about that today.

Had a slight medical not-too-niceness last night in conjunction with Mother's Day dinner. My son came over and made something I taught him to cook—"Full-Plate Nachos," we call it. Spiced queso dip with taco meat. He did a terrific job of it, too, but idiot that I am, I ate too much. Enough to give me what post-bariatric surgery patients call "dumping syndrome." I get it when I eat too much uncooked dairy sometimes, and he used milk to thin out the melted cheese (it's part of the recipe). I had another quotation mark syndrome—a "Zofran emergency." Zofran is an anti-nausea medicine, and I needed it a few minutes after finishing what I could eat of my serving.

Another anxiety-inducing moment, since I get nausea very easily in conjunction with hospital procedures. Even getting an IV administered can make me sick to my stomach. Hell, just typing about it is making me feel off my feed. What started off as a therapeutic post is turning into something that's making the situation worse. I'm going to have to wrap it up now.

Make it stop. Please, make it stop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Make it stop. Please, make it stop.

This too shall pass, old friend. Arm yourself with as much endurance and patience you can muster and remember that your friends and loved ones are rooting for you.

ProfessorTomoe likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This too shall pass, old friend.

Said the bowling ball to the tenpins. :)

I checked in with the podiatrist's nurse about the CT scan disc as to whether or not he wanted it. Turns out he doesn't. Instead, he wants the report from someone trained in reading CT scans, but hasn't received that yet (probably since it was done by a skeleton crew (pun intended) on a Saturday). Once he gets it, his nurse will e-mail something to me, which I've got to fill out, sign, scan back in to PDF format, and e-mail back today. Nuisance.

Nuisance - an inconvenience or annoyance. I wonder how that word got related to puissance, in the meaning of great power, influence, or prowess. They sort of look like antonyms, but not really. What's the relation, and what's the root language for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Said the bowling ball to the tenpins. :)

I checked in with the podiatrist's nurse about the CT scan disc as to whether or not he wanted it. Turns out he doesn't. Instead, he wants the report from someone trained in reading CT scans, but hasn't received that yet (probably since it was done by a skeleton crew (pun intended) on a Saturday). Once he gets it, his nurse will e-mail something to me, which I've got to fill out, sign, scan back in to PDF format, and e-mail back today. Nuisance.

Nuisance - an inconvenience or annoyance. I wonder how that word got related to puissance, in the meaning of great power, influence, or prowess. They sort of look like antonyms, but not really. What's the relation, and what's the root language for them?

According to the sage utterances of Google:

Nuisance: late Middle English (in the sense ‘injury, hurt’): from Old French, ‘hurt’, from the verb nuire, from Latin nocere ‘to harm’.

Puissance: late Middle English : from Old French, ‘power’, from puissant ‘having power’

A lot of Middle English can be blamed on the French.

ijuin and ProfessorTomoe like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs. Prof has received her present from her Amazon Wish List, and she is ecstatic! "Thank you thank you thank you!" is a direct quote from her.

"Now I've got to learn how to use it and play with it" is another. :)

I think she appreciates the gift. As do I. Thank you!

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Mrs. Prof has received her present from her Amazon Wish List, and she is ecstatic! "Thank you thank you thank you!" is a direct quote from her.

"Now I've got to learn how to use it and play with it" is another. :)

I think she appreciates the gift. As do I. Thank you!

She is very welcome! I received a letter from Amazon concerning it; I am taking the liberty of forwarding it to her e-mail. I am glad it was a success!

Incidentally, did it include a memory card? If it didn't, I need to get her one of these ASAP, it won't be much good without one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Said the bowling ball to the tenpins. :)

TOH isn't the bowling ball.  He's more the gizmo that collects the knocked-down pins and sets them upright again.

20 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

She is very welcome! I received a letter from Amazon concerning it; I am taking the liberty of forwarding it to her e-mail. I am glad it was a success!

Incidentally, did it include a memory card? If it didn't, I need to get her one of these ASAP, it won't be much good without one!

Or, you could let one of us have a turn and send her one....although she has quite an array of cat toys on her wish list now!

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Incidentally, did it include a memory card? If it didn't, I need to get her one of these ASAP, it won't be much good without one!

 

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Or, you could let one of us have a turn and send her one....

She said it didn't come with one, and she would very much appreciate it if someone sent one her way. She's still quite stunned over what she received, as am I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

 

She said it didn't come with one, and she would very much appreciate it if someone sent one her way. She's still quite stunned over what she received, as am I.

This is the sort of gadget where having more than one is useful. I'll send one and let someone else send another.

ETA: She may need to put them on her wish list. I'll check to see if it is necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

 

She said it didn't come with one, and she would very much appreciate it if someone sent one her way. She's still quite stunned over what she received, as am I.

Yeah, it looks like she needs to put the memory cards on the wish list. They aren't that expensive so it shouldn't be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Yeah, it looks like she needs to put the memory cards on the wish list. They aren't that expensive so it shouldn't be a problem.

May I ask "memory card for what?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vorlonagent said:

May I ask "memory card for what?"

A trail camera. It records when it senses movement. Useful for tracking various critters, such as feral cats you want to trap, vaccinate, fix and let back into the wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard those called "camera traps" as well. 

A quick google suggests that we want full-size SD cards same as most regular cameras.  Confirm? 

I buy class-10 or better SD cards for my picture-cameras so they can record video smoothly.  Many trail cameras record video and buying class-10 or better means the SD cards can be pressed into service in a picture camera if need be.

Amazon sez 64 GB cards run between $25 and $30 each, which seems a good price point to shop for.  How many are we talking about needing and does Mrs. prof have a preferred make and model?  Can Mrs. Prof's camera(s) use 64GB?  Do they need to be smaller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now