• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

A "salad" that consists of assorted cold cuts, onions, peppers, cheese, vinegar and oil.
I was eating for five minutes before I hit lettuce.

Just remember, veggies is what food eats.

Weird hard eastern European semi smoked sausages, a kaiser roll, some strong horseradish mustard and a pair of dill pickle wedges.

Now that's supper.

Right now, a packet of sliced turkey from Trader Joe's.  Shortly before that, a couple of cinnamon crumpets, also from Trader Joe's.  Before that, watermelon spears and pomegranate arils, both from Trader Joe's.  Soon to be washed down with some Hanson's diet ginger ale, which is what I went into TJ's for in the first place, but needs some time in the fridge to chill properly.

Is a kaiser roll with nutella in it cheating on the "no candy" rule?

I say nope, because it's my rule and I'm out of carrots.

My brother David and I went to "Eritrean & Ethiopian Cafe" (yes, that is the name, not a descriptor) for lunch. I got "Gored Gored" and asked for it to be cooked medium. It's cubes of steak in a ghee/pepper sauce. It came closer to what I would call "rare". What I didn't know, until I got home and looked it up, is that it's supposed to raw. It was some where between 8 and 12 oz of steak cubes. The chunks near the top of the bowl "had a little kick to it", but not bad. As you got lower in the bowl, where the ghee and spices were it got progressively hotter, almost reaching "white boy don't eat this" level of hot. I brought back about 4oz that I'm going to have with a least one glass of milk handy.

Also, no silverware. Comes on a huge piece of thin bread that you tear a chunk off with and grab the meat with. If you are a carnivore that likes spicy food in the Tulsa metro area, check them out.
6934 S Lewis Ave

15 hours ago, mlooney said:

My brother David and I went to "Eritrean & Ethiopian Cafe" (yes, that is the name, not a descriptor) for lunch.

Also, no silverware. Comes on a huge piece of thin bread that you tear a chunk off with and grab the meat with. If you are a carnivore that likes spicy food in the Tulsa metro area, check them out.

I loved when the local Ethnic Dining SIG went to an Eritrean restaurant!  The bread is actually more of a sourdough pancake, made out of Teff, which is the smallest grain on the planet.  We had a big platter for each table, with six different stews in little piles so we could sample some of each one.  I even liked the coffee they served after, and I don't even like coffee!  Unfortunately, the place seems to have closed so I can't recommend that individual restaurant, but the genre definitely gets a thumbs up here!

4oz of meat cubes isn't really that much of a meal, even if it spicy as hell.  So, thinking about it, I dumped my left over gored gored into the rice maker along with 1 cup of rice and 1 1/3 cups water.  Magic rice machine did it's thing.  I added a couple of dashes of Maggi sauce.

Found out something very interesting.  The beef was no longer spicy.  The rice, on the other hand, was.  Not "white boy don't it this" level but noticeable.  I suspect that before the water washed off the spices off the meat, and as the water was evaporated/absorbed by the rice, the spices ended up as part of the rice.  Ended up damn good.  Good enough for me to deliberately order gored gored again, with the intention of taking half of it home for the rice.

Trying to decide between making one of these tonight:

• Chile con queso with tortilla chips.
  • German cream herb chicken with potatoes.

Both are good, but I'd have to stand at the oven longer for the queso and my back has been killing me today.

I came very close to doing the impossible. I almost used too much Cavender’s Greek Seasoning on something.
2 cups cooked rice, about a tablespoon worth of Cavender's about 3 tables spoons of parmesan cheese and 3 dashes of Maggi sauce.

I'm strongly thinking about making another bowl.

Does making a 2nd bowl of something count as an extra meal or just seconds? I mean I have to clean up, then cook again. If so that means I'll have 4 meals today, or 2 meals and one big one. I think the Adderall "I'm not hungry" effect has worn off.

[edit]  Seem the word doesn't want me to do that right now.  I has a disappointment

Edited by mlooney
Crap. Magic Rice machine is not working. Going to do a total dismantal and clean in the morning.

Ramen, while not quite as good as rice is a good flavor neutral base, at least for savory stuff. I might try my sugar and jam thing with it, but I'm not quite sure how that would work. However if's gross the jam would be the expensive part.

On 23/07/2016 at 5:13 AM, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm, I don't think that's how we spelled that one in my family, but now I'm thinking too hard about it and am not sure how we *do* spell it....

Musing: If it's a romanisation, there often isn't one system of romanisation, and if we were sticking with ISO standards we would end up with such spellings as "ninzya" (ninja).

Looks it up

Hmmm… no, actually, it seems to be a which-country-are-you-using-the-spelling-of thing.  WP appears to use mostly Goulash, but gives gulyás as the original Hungarian, gullash as Albanian, gulaš as Croatian, guláš as Czech and Slovak, Gulasch as German (there you are), gulasz as Polish, golaž as Slovene.

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Isn't Goulash (however you may spell it) any stew with too much just barely enough paprika?

There, fixed it for you.