• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, February 25, 2020

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-126

Dan got this one up early for a Wednesday comic.

Dan talks about the cockles of his heart in his commentary, which brought to my mind this quote:

"...in a dark, cold winter, it warmed the cockles of the British heart "

That's from a speech Winston Churchill made on March 30, 1940 praising the crews of HMS Exeter and HMS Ajax for their part in the destruction of the German warship Admiral Graf Spee in an encounter known as the Battle of the River Platte. That battle had taken place the previous December off the coasts of Argentina and Uruguay. It was pretty much a gentleman's battle, more appropriate for the War of 1812 than 1939. Exeter, Ajax, and the New Zealand cruiser Achilles fought the much larger and more heavily armed German ship, got badly shot up, but managed to score a critical hit that meant the Spee would run out of usable fuel long before it could get back home to Germany or meet up with one of its disguised support ships. So Captain Langsdorff took his ship to Montevideo in Uruguay, hoping to make repairs there before the British brought in a heavier force. He should have gone to Buenos Aires instead; the Argentine government was much more friendly to Germany at that time. Forced out of the harbor after a few days, Langsdorff decided to scuttle his ship rather than lose more of his crew in what he thought would be a hopeless battle. Then he shot himself. His crew got to sit out the rest of the war in Argentina.

Ajax and Achilles both survived the war, and Achilles would serve in the Indian navy as the Delhi until 1978. Exeter was sunk by the Japanese in March, 1942, and about one-quarter of the survivors died in Japanese captivity. The Pacific was not a gentleman's war.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Justin is a Vampyre?

I had not considered that possibility, but it is not surprising...

Can't be, he is still alive after the great aberration kill off.

Probably a good way to put it is like this:

There are people who enjoy movies, many will talk about how good the actors were, and how well the story was told.

Then there are those who will talk about the special effects and music score.

And then there those who will dive into whether or not someone could survive an explosion or drop from 30 feet, and also look for other inconsistencies like prop placement, makeup blunders, and then take specific frames to make memes from.

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan talks about the cockles of his heart in his commentary, which brought to my mind this quote:

"...in a dark, cold winter, it warmed the cockles of the British heart "

That's from a speech Winston Churchill made on March 30, 1940 praising the crews of HMS Exeter and HMS Ajax for their part in the destruction of the German warship Admiral Graf Spee in an encounter known as the Battle of the River Platte. That battle had taken place the previous December off the coasts of Argentina and Uruguay. It was pretty much a gentleman's battle, more appropriate for the War of 1812 than 1939. Exeter, Ajax, and the New Zealand cruiser Achilles fought the much larger and more heavily armed German ship, got badly shot up, but managed to score a critical hit that meant the Spee would run out of usable fuel long before it could get back home to Germany or meet up with one of its disguised support ships. So Captain Langsdorff took his ship to Montevideo in Uruguay, hoping to make repairs there before the British brought in a heavier force. He should have gone to Buenos Aires instead; the Argentine government was much more friendly to Germany at that time. Forced out of the harbor after a few days, Langsdorff decided to scuttle his ship rather than lose more of his crew in what he thought would be a hopeless battle. Then he shot himself. His crew got to sit out the rest of the war in Argentina.

Ajax and Achilles both survived the war, and Achilles would serve in the Indian navy as the Delhi until 1978. Exeter was sunk by the Japanese in March, 1942, and about one-quarter of the survivors died in Japanese captivity. The Pacific was not a gentleman's war.

I accept this proof of your nerdiness.

12 hours ago, mlooney said:
12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Justin is a Vampyre?

I had not considered that possibility, but it is not surprising...

Can't be, he is still alive after the great aberration kill off.

I still find weird that noone noticed he awakened, but overlooking he became aberration would be really irresponsible.

And, like, when would that be? Because it's just few weeks since Pandora was standing over him and SHE would definitely notice.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Probably a good way to put it is like this:

There are people who enjoy movies, many will talk about how good the actors were, and how well the story was told.

Then there are those who will talk about the special effects and music score.

And then there those who will dive into whether or not someone could survive an explosion or drop from 30 feet, and also look for other inconsistencies like prop placement, makeup blunders, and then take specific frames to make memes from.

There are people talking about how good the main actors are. Then there are people talking about how good someone who had three sentences to say is and compare his performance with three other movies he had three sentences in.

There are people who talk about how great the special effects are. Then there are people talking about which of the special effect was prop and which CGI and how they should find someone else to do motion capture.

There are people ... ok, I wouldn't comment specifically about music, but I'm sure there are movie music nerds as well.

There are people who complain that the stuns were not realistic and that main hero wouldn't survive it. And then there are people who talk about HOW could someone survive an explosion or drop from 30 feet ... like, with supporting arguments based on difference in physical laws between universes or claiming that they found a vampire and/or superhero in action movie which wasn't supposed to have either.

And, obviously, sound shouldn't be hear in vacuum, unless you use laser microphones, and most movies gets inertia in space totally wrong and their spaceships turn like planes in air, and that character's wings were too small to fly without magic, ... wait, I think I lost my point ...

... oh. Right. The point is that it's not the TOPIC making the discussion nerdy. It's the DEPTH.

Also, there are people who enjoy movies. Then there are people who enjoy discussion about movies.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... oh. Right. The point is that it's not the TOPIC making the discussion nerdy. It's the DEPTH.

Right, there's different levels of detail that people can focus on, and you can have casual nerds, hardcore nerds, and anywhere in between. Diane's definition would probably cover the kind that are near the hardcore level but also have a "know it all" attitude, don't want to admit they're wrong or will beat you over the head if you happened to get a detail wrong.

Also these past few comics put a new light on Diane's reaction to Nanase warning her that liking to talk about and listen to others talk about movies was how nerds get started. Diane would be scared of becoming the kind of nerd that was a jerk about it, though Diane was already known to be a jerk about other things.

12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I believe the term "history buff" is more accurate. And that only because he is presumably not currently in a military. Actual military personnel study battles. It's like getting a certification for IT. Which classes you take and how well you do can count for promotion, in the US military they do, that directly affects your pay grade. Is it nerdy to want to get paid well?

What about Patton in North Africa? "Rommel, you magnificent bastard! I read your book!" (Literally true, and actually "literal" for a change.) Nerd is one epithet I've never heard applied to Patton.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 2/27/2020 at 3:05 AM, hkmaly said:

I believe the term "history buff" is more accurate. And that only because he is presumably not currently in a military.

Actually my point was that if that wasn't supposed to be proof of nerdiness, it wasn't relevant to the comics or the discussion.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:55 AM, Scotty said:
On 2/27/2020 at 3:05 AM, hkmaly said:

Right, there's different levels of detail that people can focus on, and you can have casual nerds, hardcore nerds, and anywhere in between. Diane's definition would probably cover the kind that are near the hardcore level but also have a "know it all" attitude, don't want to admit they're wrong or will beat you over the head if you happened to get a detail wrong.

It's "inanimate objects, normal people, casual nerds, hardcore nerds" ... and anywhere between, continuous scale.

... there MIGHT also be people who are so not interested in some subject they are not capable of the depth of discussion inanimate object can held ...

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's like getting a certification for IT. ... Is it nerdy to want to get paid well?

Well, no, but I can assure you that I can be IT nerd even when working in IT.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:55 AM, Scotty said:

Also these past few comics put a new light on Diane's reaction to Nanase warning her that liking to talk about and listen to others talk about movies was how nerds get started. Diane would be scared of becoming the kind of nerd that was a jerk about it, though Diane was already known to be a jerk about other things.

Yeah ... new light indeed, but still little hypocritical to be so afraid of this specific kind of jerk when, as you said, she was already jerk in other situations.

EDIT: Another good example: Some people play games which include putting buildings into map ... then there are people who compute how to use the available shape optimally to fit most building into it.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:15 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

What about Patton in North Africa? "Rommel, you magnificent bastard! I read your book!" (Literally true, and actually "literal" for a change.) Nerd is one epithet I've never heard applied to Patton.

Actually, the book in the movie never existed. Rommel did write a book on infantry tactics between the wars. If he'd survived the war, he probably would have written another book on tanks.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Actually, the book in the movie never existed. Rommel did write a book on infantry tactics between the wars. If he'd survived the war, he probably would have written another book on tanks.

You're right. He planned to write a book about tank tactics, but never got to it. So the movie scene is fiction; but Patton was well versed in the history of warfare.