• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

English doesn't make much use of gender grammatically

In the languages that use grammatical gender, what is the gender of Glass, the material?  Glass the drinking vessel?  Glasses, the vision aide?

Since glass is amorphous until shaped, does this make it gender neutral until the final form is determined?

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

English doesn't make much use of gender grammatically

In the languages that use grammatical gender, what is the gender of Glass, the material?  Glass the drinking vessel?  Glasses, the vision aide?

Since glass is amorphous until shaped, does this make it gender neutral until the final form is determined?

French: window glass and eyeglasses are feminine, drinking glasses and bulletproof glass are masculine.

Spanish: eyeglasses are feminine, the others are masculine (but the window itself, the whole thing, is feminine).

I couldn't think of a way to ask about the condition of being an extremely-viscous liquid pretending to be a solid - window glass, lollipops, et cetera - that chemists and materials engineers refer to as "glass".

Schrödinger's glass: "A man is in a sealed container with a glass of beer. How much beer is in the glass? We don't know until we open the container. There is a superposition of states of the glass, from full to empty until we collapse the wave function by observing. All we know is that on the average, the glass is half full."

Some of the fey might not like that. If you are planning on being a fey thrall, you don't really want to [redacted] them off.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Some of the fey might not like that. If you are planning on being a fey thrall, you don't really want to [redacted] them off.

You could bring your cat.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

That may not be the best idea in the world.

The fairies agree with you. They don't like getting munched on.

What's with the numbers? Is that supposed to be an image?

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The fairies agree with you. They don't like getting munched on.

What's with the numbers? Is that supposed to be an image?

It's an image on Facebook for some one's ebay item.  It's not the cat eating faeries image I was looking for, but it was the first one I found.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

It's an image on Facebook for some one's ebay item.  It's not the cat eating faeries image I was looking for, but it was the first one I found.

Ah, I avoid Facebook, maybe that's why it's not rendering for me.

Vive Le Quatorze Juillet!

Send a bunch of pesants to storm the most heavily fortified building in the city.

Make them free the political prisoners, who are gone.

Then have them sieze the armory, which is empty.

If a revolution with a clumsy start like that can topple an old regiem, that regiem needed to be toppled.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Vive Le Quatorze Juillet!

Send a bunch of peasants to storm the most heavily fortified building in the city.

Make them free the political prisoners, who are gone.

Then have them seize the armory, which is empty.

If a revolution with a clumsy start like that can topple an old regiem, that regiem needed to be toppled.

In my mind, I picture Bugs ordering Yosemite Sam around to do this $#!%. Which seems inverted, Sam should represent the royalty.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

In a similar vein, 'La Marseillaise' has got to be one of the bloodiest national anthems.

We'll march until their impure blood waters our fields.

I'm sure the Danish Kingdom will adopt somthing even bloodier when marching across Hans Island to start their Canadian invasion.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There's nothing like a bit of ethnic cleansing to liven up your national theme song.

On 7/15/2022 at 2:59 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm sure the Danish Kingdom will adopt somthing even bloodier when marching across Hans Island to start their Canadian invasion.

We have a song about how our Hero King Christian the Fourth smote the Swede until his brow cracked in twain.

Which is an interesting interpretation of 'the King got his ass kicked by the Swedes, got blinded in one eye and dashed back home in mortal terror.'

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Meh.  Depends on you point of view I'm sure.

My point of view is not trusting the propagandists.

The 'Hero King' point of view was that of the King's apologists and monarchy supporters.

The 'ran home with tail between legs' point of view belongs to historians I actually have some faith in, none of which were even Swedish.