• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

A legitimate journalist and politician before turning to sensationalism. 

He was one of the one of the big steps that television took away from the era of chain smoking middle aged white men in three piece suits blandly talking about anything without passion or conviction.

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He was one of the one of the big steps that television took away from the era of chain smoking middle aged white men in three piece suits blandly talking about anything without passion or conviction.

Other than the chain smoking, I'd almost rather have that back for news.  Screaming talking heads give me a headache.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Harold George Bellanfanti Jr.
Harry Belafonte
March 1, 1927 - April 25, 2023 

The daylight came, and he has gone home 

He turned the world around 

"I'm sad to say, he's on his way, won't be back for many a day ..."

Sad, but not unexpected, he was 96. Pretty active until the end.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Other than the chain smoking, I'd almost rather have that back for news.  Screaming talking heads give me a headache.

I'd rather have actual news, which may be why I listen to BBC news on Public Radio a lot.

I learned yesterday, listening to NPR, that Tony Bennett has passed. July 21, 2023. I've heard him sing on TV and probably on the radio, he was a good singer, not of my generation, but authentic. I knew of his collaboration with Lady Gaga, and have seen him on YouTube, where due to his Alzheimer's he barely knew where he was, but once he hit the stage, he was in full control of his singing and lyrics.

I learned a lot about him in the last less than 24 hours.

He was a vet. Born in 1926, he was drafted near the end of WW II and was sent as one of many replacements after the Battle of the Bulge. He participated in the invasion of Germany, often fighting house to house. He said his experiences in the war made him a pacifist.

He participated in the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery.

He struggled with addiction and managing his finances. Fortunately, one of his children became his capable manager.

He was also an accomplished artist and painter, several of his works are on permanent display.

He is currently the record holder for oldest person to release an album of new material, age 95.

At the 2016 Macy's Thanksiving Parade, Tony Bennet was on a float with Muppets, singing a duet with Miss Piggy.  At one point Bennet started to fall & Miss Piggy was seen holding him up.

Why do I suspect a lot of younger performers would let the old guy fall?

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why do I suspect a lot of younger performers would let the old guy fall?

Because you hate young people?

I have friends among millennials and even a couple Zoomers. They are better than the media would make them. They have been taught the hard way that supporting one another is important. Mostly in the form of getting none from older politicians who are supposed to care about their future. If they did, the planet would be in better shape and schools in America being shooting galleries wouldn't be responded to with 'thoughts and prayers.'