• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

17 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

There's always that guy in the party, isn't there? Fit's his character's demographic, I suppose.

Sometimes the whole party is that way.

Thinking about it, based on Ellen/Elliot's experience in game mastering, she might not be ready for the "swarm of locust" style of gaming that some players get into.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Thinking about it, based on Ellen/Elliot's experience in game mastering, she might not be ready for the "swarm of locust" style of gaming that some players get into.

I don't think anyone could ever be ready for it without actually having experienced it. I remember playing in groups that would literally spend a whole week covering a dungeon inch by inch to make sure they had not missed something valuable, often smashing every single altar, chest or piece of furniture in the process and sorting through the splinters afterwards. (This practice did taper off somewhat after a DM I knew had had enough of it and the players found they had just smashed an invaluable set of crystal carafes as well as spilled several quarts of extremely powerful potions on the floor. He was nice enough to let the players find a single Potion of Longevity and one surviving crystal decanter worth 1000 gold, leaving them to wonder at the value of the remaining set now lying in a pile of fragmented remains strewn all over the flagstones.)

Of course, at least this time Ellen might be spared the trauma of watching an entire party erupt into murderous infighting over a ring they had just found. Some people do not manage their greed very well. Especially not if they allow their resentment to gradually build over time. (The ring was not even magical, but I don't think it mattered to the involved players. At that point it was the principle of the thing.)

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

There's always that guy in the party, isn't there? Fit's his character's demographic, I suppose.

But not his character, I think. This is George, he has reasons for whatever he does. Probably a more subtle plan than just wanting to destroy something he does not (yet) understand.

9 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

But not his character, I think. This is George, he has reasons for whatever he does. Probably a more subtle plan than just wanting to destroy something he does not (yet) understand.

I agree. He is dicking around with Ellen, trying for a reaction. If they tear up the hieroglyphs, she can't use them later. He's basically derailing a future train.

16 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I agree. He is dicking around with Ellen, trying for a reaction. If they tear up the hieroglyphs, she can't use them later. He's basically derailing a future train.

Thirded. I will say this, mind you. I feel George is the master of dicking around without actually being a dick.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Thirded. I will say this, mind you. I feel George is the master of dicking around without actually being a dick.

He does skirt around the edge of that crater . . .   I feel like there is a good back story for that, he got his fingers burned in the past and is now more cautious. Then there's the whole 'we've had several hints that he's gay' without anyone ever confirming it; one generally does not come out of that revelation unscathed, unfortunately. That can add fuel to the whole jaded view of humanity as a whole.

Several years ago a gay friend of my one daughter gave me a hug because I did not treat her like shit and question her sexuality. She was estranged from her father at the time. In between the desire to comfort and the hope for the health of her psyche, and the basic pleasure of friendship, there lurked a lingering dark cloud of 'what the hell have you been through? You don't deserve that!' - I'm fairly certain her story is nowhere in the ballpark of unique, especially in the Bible belt location where I live. Because, as I'm sure you know, "A young lawyer asked him (Jesus), 'Which is the greatest commandment?' And he replied, 'Hate the gays, and the second is like it, hate the transsexuals, and make sure they don't have access to their meds.'" <_< Or something like that.

I often wonder if there is intelligent life on Earth. Odds are, 'no'.

54 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The odds of intelligent life on Earth is a rounding error in the overall schema of things.  Of course given the vast number of stars, even the rounding error gives trillions of intelligent life sustaining planets in the universe. 

24 minutes ago, mlooney said:

The odds of intelligent life on Earth is a rounding error in the overall schema of things.  Of course given the vast number of stars, even the rounding error gives trillions of intelligent life sustaining planets in the universe. 

I present us as the counter-example:" If intelligent life arises, it's probably suicidal."

I checked in the mirror today, still did not see any signs of intelligent life here.

On 7/5/2023 at 2:18 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

Of course there is. We're called "cats".

I hear dolphins, elephants, corvids, octopi, and wolves are pretty smart too. (Domestic dogs as well, I suppose.)

(Of course there are also Chipanzees, Bonobos, and Gorrillas, but as the primary differences between them and humans are more fur and less ambition, I'm not sure they count for the purposes of this discussion.)

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Of course there are also Chipanzees, Bonobos, and Gorrillas, but as the primary differences between them and humans are more fur and less ambition

So you are saying that furries  are a sign of intelligent life then?  That would explain a lot.

“For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy