• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
mlooney

Comic for Friday, Jul 14, 2023

Ever since Pandora revealed that Tedd was a Wand Maker, Tedd has suspected that all the tech stuff has just been window dressing on wands.

But if a magic lacking human coppied the tech, then it is comprehendable tech, & some of Tedd's ambitions may still be achievable.

'Clone form' says she looks like someone. That could get messy. Do they have permission to use the resemblance to someone else's image? I could see this getting out of hand; identity difficult to verify.

29 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

'Clone form' says she looks like someone. That could get messy. Do they have permission to use the resemblance to someone else's image? I could see this getting out of hand; identity difficult to verify.

Let me quote Dan from the June 28, 2023 comic commentary

"Clone," but not necessarily a copy

To clarify, "clone forms" in this context refer to forms that always wind up identical regardless of who's transformed. They CAN be identical to actual people, but they don't have to be copies of anyone.

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/layers-018 

And really, if "Clone" forms could really only copy specific people, every Uryuom using Tedd's tech would look like Grace. 

Forgot to add . . . 

I suspect that the Clone form Lavender is using was customized just for her based on her default and projection preferences.  However, if another Uryuom was to access Lavender's clone form, that Uryuom would also end up looking like Lavender.

This has terrifying implications for Identity Theft.  Controlling Clone Form data might be the highest personal security responsibility for Uryuoms using them.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Oops

Given that altering their appearance is a way of life for Uryuoms, it is probable that they have long-ago developed non-appearance-based forms of identification. Something that scans brain wave patterns or personal aura patterns for example.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Ever since Pandora revealed that Tedd was a Wand Maker, Tedd has suspected that all the tech stuff has just been window dressing on wands.

But if a magic lacking human coppied the tech, then it is comprehendable tech, & some of Tedd's ambitions may still be achievable.

IIRC, the TF gun tech was given to Tedd by Will and Gill. Tedd's (not insignificant) contribution was a user interface that made it simple to create brand new forms. The computer program to to do that wouldn't be magic.

2 hours ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

IIRC, the TF gun tech was given to Tedd by Will and Gill. Tedd's (not insignificant) contribution was a user interface that made it simple to create brand new forms. The computer program to to do that wouldn't be magic.

This is a good point, he was, after all, quite young, and at that point his skill set included modding games. No real awareness of magic evidenced.

I would say around the time of “Sister II”, when Tedd learned that Elliot and Ellen had Awakened. Back during Grace’s birthday party, it was all gun-derived tech stuff, while by Hammerchlorians, Tedd was already experimenting with the watches as wand-like spell vessels.

7 hours ago, ijuin said:

I would say around the time of “Sister II”, when Tedd learned that Elliot and Ellen had Awakened. Back during Grace’s birthday party, it was all gun-derived tech stuff, while by Hammerchlorians, Tedd was already experimenting with the watches as wand-like spell vessels.

Yeah, that tracks. 

It doesn't surprise me Tedd is happy his work has helped others. It does surprise me this was his first reaction, particularly since it's not yet clear how much of Tedd's work Edward shared. A lot of the forms Tedd created tied in with his own tastes and interests (possibly even fetishes); I would expect the possibility that other people were seeing which forms he chose to create without his permission would be embarrassing or even mortifying.

There's also the fact that Tedd has the clone-form data for all his close friends, and that data was supposed to remain private.

I was going to say that hopefully Edward was careful about what data he shared, but that would imply at least Edward looked through Tedd's data without permission. Really, the only scenario I can see that doesn't involve a breach of Tedd's privacy would be if Tedd shared the data for the clone forms for Will and Gill with them, and Edward got a copy of that. (I was concerned that Dr. Germahn having copies of some of Tedd's notes and code was a sign that Edward had passed on more than the clone forms for Will and Gill, but looking through parts of Balance again I see that Tedd passed those notes on to Arthur with the knowledge it would be further passed on.)

...On the other hand, it occurs to me that living with a father who was the head of a secret government agency of the sort that acts like that agency should be the only ones allowed to keep secrets, it's possible Tedd may have a rather unusual sense of the concept of "privacy".

Edited by ChronosCat
Looked up how Dr. Germahn got Tedd's notes.

DGB doesn't necessarily need all of Tedd's data (e.g. his friends' clone forms), and there has been no statement by anyone which strongly implies that they got all of it.

Yes, they got Tedd's notes - but even a single clone form is likely to be vastly more data than a human can put into notes in one lifetime. Particularly if that lifetime is, to date, about 18 years.

If DGB got a set of devices - a scanner and a TFG - and any necessary software, they can build their own collection of data.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

DGB doesn't necessarily need all of Tedd's data (e.g. his friends' clone forms), and there has been no statement by anyone which strongly implies that they got all of it.

Yes, they got Tedd's notes - but even a single clone form is likely to be vastly more data than a human can put into notes in one lifetime. Particularly if that lifetime is, to date, about 18 years.

If DGB got a set of devices - a scanner and a TFG - and any necessary software, they can build their own collection of data.

Real world, plenty of people can already grab and misuse your image . . .

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Real world, plenty of people can already grab and misuse your image . . .

Yeah, deep fake is a thing.  Plus what ever Hollywood wants to do with actors that the actors went on strike for.