• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Drive too far.

A baloon shaped like a cartoon character is being pulled by dozens of department store employees while floating through Herald Square.

Eat obscene ammounts of food.

Argue politics, religon & 50 year old family scandals.

Pass out.

Watch the Lions loose.

. . . . .

This is what the Puritains wanted.

Happy Thanksgiving.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Drive too far.

I hope you at least make it to the green, so you can put your way to the hole.

A balloon shaped like a cartoon character is being pulled by dozens of department store employees while floating through Herald Square.

It would be more entertaining if they used too few employees, and the entire thing took off. WW I flying ace, indeed.

Eat obscene amounts of food.

I plan to not do that. Have been there, done that, though. For me, buffets are worse.

Argue politics, religion & 50 year old family scandals.

That is on point; the holidays bring together family who are often distant in more ways than one. Invariably, they have different views on controversial topics. The only way to avoid this is to never associate. Better? <shrug> Sometimes, that happens; people avoid family gatherings because they know beforehand that there will be disagreement.

Pass out.

Thanksgiving does that. People push themselves too far, driving, cooking, etc. They tend to eat a lot, as you said. The turkey is a good source of tryptophan, which tends to put you to sleep. Mitigates the previous issue.

Watch the Lions lose.

It can be a big day for ('Mercin) football. Bigger for school games, no? So there will be many followed, winners and losers. I plan to not watch any. I can follow and enjoy football, but it's rarely my thing to do; I generally have better options. I will sit around and talk, then hope to play some games with folks.

. . . . .

Yeah, a lot of that . . .

This is what the Puritans wanted.

The European participants at the original event were Pilgrims. The Puritans came later in large numbers and took over the colony.

Both were dicks to the Native Americans, for whom this is "We Missed Our Opportunity" day. They had a good start, between the Vikings and Roanoke, but they were bound to fail to keep the infection out at some point. So here we are.

FWIW, the Puritans would not have approved. They are well known for not approving.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Indeed. Make the best of it you can. Enjoy those who allow it. It is an opportunity, not a guarantee.

Are you traveling to see kids, or will you be in Florida?

I am avoiding a family event to avoid the drama, and hanging out with friends.

My Thanksgiving gathering has been postponed until Friday due to an illness in the family (for once, not mine). This will interfere with the viewing of the Texas vs. Texas Tech football game, which will leave me somewhat miffed. I am a Texas fan, if you haven't figured that out by now, having attended The University of Texas at Austin for two years (ran out of money, couldn't finish, still got some benefits). I met my wife there, so that's good enough for me.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The European participants at the original event were Pilgrims. The Puritans came later in large numbers and took over the colony.

Both were dicks to the Native Americans

To be fair, the Puritans were dicks to everybody. Including each other, on the slightest excuse.

The Pilgrims came for freedom of religion (or at least of various forms of Christianity - don't know if they went further than that). The Puritans had just lost a war over which version of Christianity would be mandatory for everyone in England, then learned that being refugees in Holland didn't give them the power to make their version mandatory there, and came to North America to establish a place where they could dictate everyone's religion.

The first European settlers in at least two states adjacent to Massachusetts were people escaping from the Puritan regime.

(I still don't understand how anyone can take seriously a cleric who preaches hatred in the name of a loving God.)

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

To be fair, the Puritans were dicks to everybody. Including each other, on the slightest excuse.

The Pilgrims came for freedom of religion (or at least of various forms of Christianity - don't know if they went further than that). The Puritans had just lost a war over which version of Christianity would be mandatory for everyone in England, then learned that being refugees in Holland didn't give them the power to make their version mandatory there, and came to North America to establish a place where they could dictate everyone's religion.

The first European settlers in at least two states adjacent to Massachusetts were people escaping from the Puritan regime.

(I still don't understand how anyone can take seriously a cleric who preaches hatred in the name of a loving God.)

Many preachers still preach hatred.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Due to an unexpected absence, i wound up working a double shift thursday.  My T-Day dinner was a McRib sandwich.

That's kind of a treat; that's the sandwich that is rarely on the menu, and gets brought back occasionally due to demand. Still, a shame you had to work.

I drove home around 8:30 last night. Was nice to see almost no one was open; even the big box groceries were closed. Some gas stations were open, and the 24 hr McDonalds where hwy 54 & 55 cross was open, and appeared like they had customers. I would have been curious to see a Waffle House, but didn't drive by one. They never close, to the point were they are a metric for the seriousness of a hurricane or similar disaster. (Google 'Waffle House Index.)

I know that "Harry's" the dinner with in walking distance of me was open, but I didn't want to encourage places to stay open on holidays.  I make an exception to this on Christmas and will get food from the local mom and pop Pho place, given it's not a holiday for them.  Thanksgiving is a secular holiday about family so I don't really approve of places, any sort, being open then.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

(Google 'Waffle House Index.)

It's not an official index. However, it is used, in part because it's a very easy and quick test - one brief phone call per Waffle House store in the affected area.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

I know that "Harry's" the dinner with in walking distance of me was open, but I didn't want to encourage places to stay open on holidays.  I make an exception to this on Christmas and will get food from the local mom and pop Pho place, given it's not a holiday for them.  Thanksgiving is a secular holiday about family so I don't really approve of places, any sort, being open then.

I hear you, but, honestly, if there were no gas stations open, a lot of folks would strand themselves.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It's not an official index.

It is presented on US government websites. While it is informal, I think it gets some actual notice within disaster relief circles. At the very least, 'source of food' vs 'source of food not available'.

Friday's family Thanksgiving get-together was ruined - for me, anyway - by an acute lower gastrointestinal upset. No need for a spoiler tag or anything, since no bathroom trips ensued. I was just in pain. Things were in good shape through dinner and shortly afterward, then it set in. Urgh. We were forced to leave about an hour or two early. Still, what time we did have there was enjoyable. The food was good,  the libations were interesting and conversation-worthy (always fun), and once we got home things resolved without too much fuss. (Okay, one bathroom trip. No details.) That, plus The University of Texas kicked the holy living shiat out of Texas Tech, so yeah, fun was had.

Oh, one other thing - Mrs. Prof strode out of the computer area Saturday afternoon and pronounced, "Someone loves me, and it isn't you," with a grin on her face. She then showed me a pair of silly-looking cat slippers that someone for whom she had done a favor had sent her as a gift. Nice, comfy looking. Still, not a challenge one should allow to go by if at all possible, and in this case, I had a retort. You see, I had ordered her a birthday gift - a pair of lab-grown diamond earrings (small diamonds, but that's all I could afford) - and I'd hoped to give them to her at Friday's family Thanksgiving get-together. Well, UPS thwarted that with late delivery, but they did deliver while she was out running a cat errand Saturday morning. I'd opened up the package and was ready to spring it on her at the proper time, and wouldn't you know it, she presented the proper time with her little "someone loves me" remark.

So, after letting a few comedy beats pass for effect, I went and retrieved the Zales box and brought it over to her. I then pronounced, "Someone loves you, and it's me," and handed her the box. The look on her face was priceless. She appreciated the gift very much, especially after I reassured her that I didn't break the bank in purchasing them (they were $59 plus tax - like I said, they were small). I had her try them on, and she looked lovely in them. Mission accomplished, on both fronts.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

I forgot to say "Thank You" to ProfessorTomoe for his gift of linen pants.  I've been out of sorts. 

You're welcome, and Merry Christmas. Sorry we forgot to get anything for Explorer - it completely slipped our minds.