• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Who in the cast has met an immortal?

The current arc, Hope visiting Justin's store, has me curious which cast members have met immortals. I'm only counting the young cast; if the older cast has met immortals, it happened off screen. (I imagine Edward is aware that Adrian is an elf, a hybrid son of an immortal).

Susan and Nanase met the couple, Helena and Demetrius.

Grace, Susan, and Sarah have met Jeremy (now rebooted as Zeus).

Diane met Zeus, but was not aware if who he was. Zeus sends messages to Susan. I don't recall her meeting him.

Several have been marked by Pandora in secret. Several met Pandora in a mall survey guise. Sarah talked with Pandora in her bedroom more than once. Tedd talked to Pandora in his basement. Susan and Diane had a brief conversation with Pandora at the mall. She was materialized in a public place, it is possible many people saw her (briefly).

Magus had extensive interaction with Pandora in the spirit realm, and seems to know quite a bit about immortals, which is a bit weird, because he is from a different universe, and based on the griffin universe, the universes seem to have different rules for immortals.

As with Pandora's mall appearance, Voltaire appeared in public at the mall. He met Ashley in a particularly unhelpful way, and then harassed Elliot (as Cheerleadra) at the lower level. Helena appeared and refuted his claims, then Helena and Demetrius assisted Elliot (as Cheerleadra) and Ashley in escaping the crowd. A large crowd saw and heard Voltaire.

In the non-Canon NP arc, Goonmanji 2, Hanma interacts with Susan, Rhoda, Catalina, and Ashley. Though it is non-canon, Hanma has appeared in the main story line, for instance, when the immortals are listening to Voltaire rant about changing immortal law. It does not seem that Rhoda and Catalina have much awareness of a magic community beyond themselves. (This is also odd, wouldn't someone with magic wonder if anyone else did?) Probably actually non-canon . . . ?

Awareness of Adrian as a half-immortal elf seems to be fairly well known in the main cast. A few have witnessed this, and they talk. Also Diane's partial elf status, though even she seems to be unaware of her own sometimes pointed ears. Tedd has noticed she has elf magic sensing ability. Susan is apparently distant enough that these things do not manifest.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Fix error

12 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Zeus sends messages to Susan. I don't recall her meeting him.

She did, briefly at the mall right before the vampire attacks started.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:36 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

In the non-Canon NP arc, Goonmanji 2, Hanma interacts with Susan, Rhoda, Catalina, and Ashley. Though it is non-canon, Hanma has appeared in the main story line, for instance, when the immortals are listening to Voltaire rant about changing immortal law. It does not seem that Rhoda and Catalina have much awareness of a magic community beyond themselves. (This is also odd, wouldn't someone with magic wonder if anyone else did?) Probably actually non-canon . . . ?

Also in Goonmanji 2, Hanma implies that in a future canon story it will be revealed that she met Liz and Ashley at an anime convention.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

We can add Justin to this list, he just doesn't know it (yet)

And now Luke. He should know something is up, not specifically what. If he talks about it to Justin, Justin might figure it out.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Also in Goonmanji 2, Hanma implies that in a future canon story it will be revealed that she met Liz and Ashley at an anime convention.

In the linked comic, she is meeting Liz in the same non-canon arc as Susan, Rhoda, Catalina, and Ashley. Liz, though not having magic, is aware of it.

Liz is a good character, I hope she gets more face time.

Of course, there is the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

No matter how old or sick or injured a person may become, there will always be a version of that person who just fails to die.

All of them are, potentially, immortal.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

No matter how old or sick or injured a person may become, there will always be a version of that person who just fails to die.

While I like the idea of Many Worlds, I don't think that particular idea holds up. It assumes that either no matter the situation a person finds themselves in there is a chance they won't die, and/or that any situation where death is inevitable is avoidable. Now that might be true for the majority of things that can kill a person (though on the other hand there are so many things that can kill a person that it would be extremely unlikely to find oneself surviving far beyond one's life expectancy), but there are various deadly situations that a human simply can't survive, and various health issues that can't be avoided and modern medicine doesn't have an answer to. Also, while there may be some worlds out there with people already centuries or more old, and medical technology is advancing rapidly enough these days that it's not unreasonable to think some people living today could live to see life expediencies start rising faster than people can die of "old age", without the ability to travel back in time or between worlds everybody must die eventually --- after all, the universe itself will eventually end (or at least wind up uninhabitable).

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Of course, there is the Many Worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.

All of them are, potentially, immortal.

That is interesting, I never though of it like that. Your example applies to real life. So, if the Many Worlds interpretation is correct, everyone should have a branching path in which they never die. Observation says this is not the case; so the branches are either negligibly unlikely, or the Many Worlds interpretation is wrong - or sort of both, the odds of some events are so negligibly small that you can't tell if they ever happen or not.

Some years ago I read an estimate that if we eliminated all contagious, genetic, and lifestyle diseases, plus the debilitating effects of old age, human life expectancy at birth would be... um... I can't recall if it was 600 years, or 800. Due to accidents, murders, and suicides.

Rather short of eternal life.

Imagine, though, with this many-worlds theory, a world where nobody dies. In our world, out of every human that has ever lived, somewhere under 1 out of 10 are alive today - exactly how far under depends on exactly how one defines "human" and thereby which species other than H.sapiens are included. Does this "nobody" include chimpanzees, whales, cattle, ants? Could be a rather crowded world.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Imagine, though, with this many-worlds theory, a world where nobody dies. In our world, out of every human that has ever lived, somewhere under 1 out of 10 are alive today - exactly how far under depends on exactly how one defines "human" and thereby which species other than H.sapiens are included. Does this "nobody" include chimpanzees, whales, cattle, ants? Could be a rather crowded world.

I heard it was closer to one in eighteen—counting from the beginning of anatomically modern Homo Sapiens (i.e. no other hominids like Neanderthals, etc.), there have been an estimated 125-130 billion humans, and there are approximately 8 billion currently.

Including other species in the “don’t die” list becomes problematic because of predation. What did the carnivores eat if their prey all survived? And what did the prey eat if their numbers were not culled? They would produce so many offspring that they would eat all of the plants and then starve. Come to think of it, what would 130 billion humans eat on a planet that can probably only produce enough edible vegetation for 30-40 billion with pre-industrial farming methods even if all land becomes farms and all fresh water is used to irrigate them?

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And now Luke

Luke hasn't met an immortal yet, he's just been in the same room with one.

On 1/5/2024 at 2:40 PM, Don Edwards said:

Some years ago I read an estimate that if we eliminated all contagious, genetic, and lifestyle diseases, plus the debilitating effects of old age, human life expectancy at birth would be... um... I can't recall if it was 600 years, or 800. Due to accidents, murders, and suicides.

Young people, manly males, die of accidents,murder and suicide more than any other causes.  In the top 10 only about 9% are disease related.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/top-causes-of-death-for-ages-15-24-2223960