• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

3 Waffle Houses in the storm's path closed preemptively because they were in mandtory evacuation zones.

2 near St Petersburg closed due to storm surge.

And there are reports 1 was closed by a power failure, but I don't know where.

47 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

An open Waffle House is not necessarily all that great, either

The Waffle House in Hillsborough, NC, just off I-85, has been missing the W for years. Many consider this to be truth in advertising.

That said, I eat at Waffle House rarely, but the food is edible. What they do, they do OK.

We've been getting a lot of rain lately. I doubt it's related to the hurricane that Florida's dealing with, though. Considering that we're in western Montana.

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

An open Waffle House is not necessarily all that great, either

Yeah, I went to one on the way to Pennsic.  Really less than impressed with both the food and the staff.

4 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Yeah, I went to one on the way to Pennsic.  Really less than impressed with both the food and the staff.

The food is not great, anything from the grill tends toward greasy, and each place has its own cook with their own skill level. The few I've tried have been passable. The pancakes and waffles aren't bad. The home fries require some draining, but are very customizable in terms of toppings. The coffee is serviceable.

I think Ive had bacon and/or eggs there. I probably would avoid their meat.

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

We are supposed to be getting much rain from the hurricane as it works its way up the coast. Just checked, it hasn't hit yet.

It appears that we got some rain, but not as much as expected, and it has already passed us. Mild this time.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It appears that we got some rain, but not as much as expected, and it has already passed us. Mild this time.

Good.  You've only got ~10 days until peak of the season and 91 days until the end of season.  Hope you have a good rest of season.

I'm approx 2-3 hours inland. The coast gets chewed on every year. We get severe weather from them regularly, but it usually doesn't amount to much; some flooding (not all bad, we need the water as well), some trees down. Our soil is crap, all clay, so the trees are unstable. I thought it was weird how the older homes here have no trees near the house; learned quickly why. Every ten years or so, an hurricane blows though full force. Not fun.

Our area got hit by the edge of the remnants of Lee yesterday. It was a rainy, windy day. We nearly lost power twice, and did loose it around 10 PM; it was off most of the night, though it was back on by 8 AM this morning. I haven't surveyed the yard to see if there's any damage, but at least based on what I can see out the windows, everything seems fine (other than one large tree branch that fell on the lawn, but didn't hit anything).

We only had one windstorm strong enough to trigger the tornado alert system this year.  While peak tornado season is April - May, Kansas can get tornadoes year round. 

There is no state in the US that is not known to have tornadoes.

Frequency varies wildly, though.

I remember some years ago the state of Washington set a new mark, for the first time on record it had two tornadoes in the same day. That's, ah, rather ordinary in several states. (And the total reported damage: one confused horse and some discomfited fish.)

How many tornadoes has Kansas had in 2023?
Yearly Summary in Kansas
Year    # of Tornadoes   
2023    32    
2022    63    
2021    39    
2020    17    

2022 was busy.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

We had the opposite problem here in California—it was too hot to function on Thursday through Saturday.

This is our first real "cold" spell.  Got down to 37.  Fall is here

Beats the weather on the moon. "The weather is hot vacuum, turning to cold vacuum tonight. Tomorrow will be another day of hot vacuum." Points for consistency, though.

It stopped raining, however it's forecast to start having thunderstorms around 9:00 PM and rain lasting until roughly noon tomorrow.  Then rain again Friday morning lasting until Sunday, when it's supposed to clear off and drop the temperature to sub freezing for a few days.  I really have strong body aches right now, so I'm under covers with an electric blanket.  This week is going to suck weather wise 

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when it gets cold.  With windchill due to e-bike speed it was 31 (freedom units) [-1 rest of world]  I know I'm going to need better gloves and will need to wear 2 pair of socks.  Not looking forward to winter.

I have body aches.  Off to Weather Underground:

4:15 PM - 6:00 PM Moderate Rainfall 
6:00 PM - 6:15 PM Heavy Rainfall 
6:15 PM - 8:45 PM Moderate Rainfall 

Oh, that's why.  Gonna take an analgesic and get under my electric blanket.