• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

There's a lightbulb burned out in my hallway and I have no idea how many people like me (or indeed what kind of people) I'll need to change it.

My first major web based forum was Television With Out Pity.  One of the rules there was you will read all the comments before you make your own.  Failing to do so could get you banned.

Why am I bringing this up?

Two things.

1. Konami Code
  2. Grrl Power comic comments.

In the current story arc there are a series of banners, one of which has the #$&+#@@! Code on it.  Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.  It gets mentioned at least two and more likely five or six times for each page that it shows up on. And each poster acts like they are the first person to see it. In the history of the comic.  The damn thing has been in about half of the last two months of real time comics and people are just now noticing it??? WTF

I don't play video games, but I know that a series of arrows pointing up, down,left,right etc, followed by A B or other low order letters is normally some sort of computer game reference smile a bit and read the content of whatever it was I found this in and don't feel a need to be the nth person to say something about it, when I can plainly see that someone before me has seen it and commented on it.

This applies to a larger set of things than just the konami code, but in general.  Pointing out something that other people have pointed out means that you didn't read their comments so why should I read what you posted?

I know I not perfect on this, but at least I try, which seems to be more than a lot of posters do.

Snap, snarl, grunt, growl, etc.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

My first major web based forum was Television With Out Pity.  One of the rules there was you will read all the comments before you make your own.  Failing to do so could get you banned.

Why am I bringing this up?

Two things.

1. Konami Code
  2. Grrl Power comic comments.

In the current story arc there are a series of banners, one of which has the #$&+#@@! Code on it.  Sometimes right, sometimes wrong.  It gets mentioned at least two and more likely five or six times for each page that it shows up on. And each poster acts like they are the first person to see it. In the history of the comic.  The damn thing has been in about half of the last two months of real time comics and people are just now noticing it??? WTF

I don't play video games, but I know that a series of arrows pointing up, down,left,right etc, followed by A B or other low order letters is normally some sort of computer game reference smile a bit and read the content of whatever it was I found this in and don't feel a need to be the nth person to say something about it, when I can plainly see that someone before me has seen it and commented on it.

This applies to a larger set of things than just the konami code, but in general.  Pointing out something that other people have pointed out means that you didn't read their comments so why should I read what you posted?

I know I not perfect on this, but at least I try, which seems to be more than a lot of posters do.

Snap, snarl, grunt, growl, etc.

Ok, for one, I went back several pages, and now just see the banner, I guess I was too focused on the action to notice it before and Krona's appearance shifted that focus. Also now that I look at it again, the banner does show "up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right, bee, A, gunshot" I understand maybe some liberties taken with the "B" and "start" but...wait a moment, it was "left, right, left, right" in previous pages, so either Dave Barrack goofed with the latest one, or had Krona mess with the order herself off panel.

So anyway, my theory, comic tunnel vision mixed with change blindness.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

So anyway, my theory, comic tunnel vision mixed with change blindness.

It's the fact that 4 or 5 people per comic that it's in DON'T READ THE OTHER COMMENTS then post "hey, did you see the $!@% code?  It's wrong!!! or words to that effect.  We here at least say "ninjaed" if two people make the same comment.  Not so much else were.

My brother and I were going to go out last night and have a cider or two.  We didn't but somehow my body didn't get the notification.  Feeling more than slightly hungover right now.  Drinking a liter or so of water.

Cleaning an oven that had a small grease fire in it, plus fire extinguisher leftovers and unburnt grease without oven cleaner is not really something you can do.

14 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Do you have pneumonia-like symptoms?
Or are you taking cheap shots at the language of my Scottish ancestors?

I always did wonder at Sean Connery being of Egyptian origin in Highlander. And armed with a katana. So he was actually your ancestor?

5 hours ago, PSadlon said:

To be fair I did trace some of my ancestors to Glasgow.

Tough people, the Glaswegians. Any descendant of a Glaswegian romance is likely to have a skull hard enough to casually shrug off a wrecking ball. I hear that some American visitors to Glasgow mistook a local performance of Romeo and Juliet for a chapter of the World Wrestling Federation, possibly in part due to the first kiss.

For reasons, I went on Youtube, looking for a heavy metal version of "Angel of the Morning".

The problem with being old enough to be a functional adult in the late 70's early 80's is that you remember the song, granted mainly the cover by Juice Newton.  At least a third of the videos that YT pulls up mention Deadpool.  Yes, I know it was an awesome opening scene, but come the freaking on.  I want all you punk [redacted] kids off my lawn.

22 minutes ago, mlooney said:

For reasons, I went on Youtube, looking for a heavy metal version of "Angel of the Morning".

The problem with being old enough to be a functional adult in the late 70's early 80's is that you remember the song, granted mainly the cover by Juice Newton.

Juice Newton?

No, Merrilee Rush.

Part of that is the way YouTube has taking to curating results. A lot of people are upset about it, particularly YouTubers who have to put out more content more often to remain relevant. It's causing a shitload of creative burnout with the independent YouTubers and favoring the commercial venues more.

25 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Juice Newton?

No, Merrilee Rush.

I am aware of that.  I was basing my statement on which one got the most airplay and charted.  Given a choice, however, my preference is for The Pretenders, but that might be that it's a toss up between Chrissie Hynde and Joan Jett as to who my rocker girlfriend is.

And there was the "version" I listen to way to freaking much in my "do tech support in a strip club" years.  While not exactly the same, it's close freaking enough for rock and roll.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

The problem with being old enough to be a functional adult in the late 70's early 80's is that you remember the song, granted mainly the cover by Juice Newton.  

1 hour ago, Don Edwards said:

Juice Newton?

No, Merrilee Rush.

The only version I knew was Olivia Newton-John.

Windblows 10 decided to swtich my default browser to Microsoft Edge because Google Chrome "caused a problem"... no explanation beyond that... no do you want to choose another browser... no by your leave.

1 hour ago, PSadlon said:

Windblows 10 decided to swtich my default browser to Microsoft Edge because Google Chrome "caused a problem"... no explanation beyond that... no do you want to choose another browser... no by your leave.

I am SO glad I resisted all the nagware trying to get me to 'upgrade' my Windows 7 to that crap.

I dropped my old pair of glasses and broke the frame.  2 minutes later, I dropped a gallon of milk, breaking it at the handle.  I'm glad I have a low to the ground bed to sleep in.

I work at a tech company that sells products to consumers and we're building a specialized pool of testing PCs that ideally should look like a subset of what our customers are using.

I have a spreadsheet of raw customer hardware data to work from.  It's just what hardware customers use and how many.  I decided to ask Marketing for help deciding what systems to buy/build and CCed my manager on my query e-mail.

My manager actually asked me what help I expected from them...

I have a cold.  At least, I hope it's just a cold.  Several people at work have had a cold recently, but one receptionist also had the fever and body aches that make me think flu instead of cold.

My sister had a kidney transplant, so she's vulnerable to infection, and I worry about exposing her if it's a flu.

There's also snow sceduled for this weekend, when I'm supposed to be driving down to visit my family.  I'm starting to wonder if someone's trying to tell me something....

ETA: Huh.  A line of text I did a cut-and-paste on while composing the post is showing up with a white background instead of lavendar, making it appear highlighted in the post and invisible in edit mode.