• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
partner555

Things That Make You Happy

Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

He must be on the cutting Edge of sound innovation, then.

/me gets out the list.  Adds a star to your page.

That's right on the edge of being transphobic, and colonial.  Just because the native in question is white is no reason to make fun of traditional dress.  And calling it indecent really is Not Good.

A significant portion of comedy does not age well

On the other manipulator, humor that is a little offensive can be the first clue for some in the so-called mainstream that a problem even exists

So while we probably don't need the worst of Bugs Bunny's WWII Anti-Japanese propaganda cartoons in heavy rotation on Cartoon Network, many classic cartoons can have their place.  Especially if presented in context with appropriate commentary

Bugs said "It's not a pair of pants but it will do", so it's not the lack of underwear that was the issue.  I may be reading to much into a old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

That's right on the edge of being transphobic, and colonial.  Just because the native in question is white is no reason to make fun of traditional dress.  And calling it indecent really is Not Good.

Ah, the death of my heros. Fist Dr. Seuss, now Bugs.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

“Indecent” might also be referring to the common belief that kilts are worn without a loincloth or other genitalia-covering undergarment.

I've been so informed. The saying in my Ren Faire group is "If there's underwear, it's a skirt." Are you saying it isn't true?

27 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Bugs said "It's not a pair of pants but it will do", so it's not the lack of underwear that was the issue.  I may be reading to much into a old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Honestly, you're probably not.

While not 100% make me happy, I just got a piece of mail from the Social Security people that wasn't a "We want to review your status" message, just one telling me what my benefits for the year is.  Also glad that I see that the Post Office is still forwarding my mail.

The only US military site I routinely visit has 2 warning that pop up when you visit it.  One is telling you that the information on the site is not classified and one is "We use cookies".  Their cookies are discarded once you close your browser.  I like the fact that the US Army isn't keeping tracking cookies on my machine.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Depending on the subject, your homing pigeons & semaphore flags may be a more urgent concern to them

Oh, come on.  The US Army hasn't used pigeons since <looks a Wikipedia> 1957.  I'm surprised it was that late.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Pigeon_Service

Just now, mlooney said:

Oh, come on.  The US Army hasn't used pigeons since <looks a Wikipedia> 1957.  I'm surprised it was that late.

They might still need to be on the lookout for hostile pigeons. Just because the US is no longer using a technology does not mean it can't be dangerous. You can still be shot dead by a M-1 Garand, for example. Therefore, DHS could very well be scanning pigeons for hammer and sickle decals, or possibly swastikas.

Do not underestimate Nazi and Commie pigeons. They invariably have fowl intentions.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

They tried, but the pigeons couldn't take the jet engines being strapped to them.

They were used to test windshields. Oh, wait, that was chickens.

Just now, mlooney said:

Thawed chicken. Granted it took the MythBusters 3 tries to find out that.

I must have missed that episode. I heard (before Mythbusters was a thing) that the Brits asked to use it, and broke several windshields. Then it was explained to them, "Thaw first".

I visited the the facility long ago. I don't recall why, likely a conference. I don't remember seeing the chicken cannon; if I did, it was not being operated that day.

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Well, how would you simulate a large bird striking your vehicle or aircraft at high speed?

If I only wanted to simulate it, I'd develop a computer model.

If I wanted to directly test it, I'd use a chicken cannon.

Why do you ask?

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Please remember that a "chicken cannon" is a very different concept than "horse artillery"

You have seen Monty Python and The Holy Grail, right? Cows instead of horses, but in the size range.