• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Just got back from a Remembrance Day dinner at the Royal Canadian Legion hall in town with the family. We had roast beef which was cut in half inch thick slices and was fall apart tender, mashed potatoes and gravy that was actually made from the roast juices, not some powered or canned stuff that they try to pass as gravy, mixed beans and carrots and turnip puff. For desert there was chocolate and vanilla cake that was made to congratulate my Grandfather who had recently received the Ushakov Medal from the Russian Ambassador for his participation in the Arctic Allied Convoys during WW2.

It was.  Three things you don't normally think of when "smokey" is used in the context of food, all nicely working together.  Good thing is I still have enough of all of the above to do it again.  I think I'm going to name this my "not BBQ, but close" meal

14 minutes ago, mlooney said:

It was.  Three things you don't normally think of when "smokey" is used in the context of food, all nicely working together.  Good thing is I still have enough of all of the above to do it again.  I think I'm going to name this my "not BBQ, but close" meal

I've have smoked gouda and smoked salami before, good stuff. Smoked tea I haven't had, though I'm not really a tea person, too bitter, and most of the teas I've tried don't taste any better sweetened, except for a summer berry tea in which case the berry flavour works with sugar added. Ice tea as well but that's also sweetened.

Just now, Scotty said:

I've have smoked gouda and smoked salami before, good stuff. Smoked tea I haven't had, though I'm not really a tea person, too bitter, and most of the teas I've tried don't taste any better sweetened, except for a summer berry tea in which case the berry flavour works with sugar added. Ice tea as well but that's also sweetened.

Lapsang souchong smells more smokey than it tastes, but it does have a nice smokey after tone.  As to tea being bitter, you are steeping it too long.  3 minutes max, I don't care what the box says.  Also there is a reason why "classic" UK and Irish tea has a bit of milk in it.  I normally put about 2 tea spoons of sugar in hot tea and about 3 table spoons of milk/cream in it.  You might try that, but if you aren't a tea drinker, I will not hold it against you.  Much.

2 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Lapsang souchong smells more smokey than it tastes, but it does have a nice smokey after tone.  As to tea being bitter, you are steeping it too long.  3 minutes max, I don't care what the box says.  Also there is a reason why "classic" UK and Irish tea has a bit of milk in it.  I normally put about 2 tea spoons of sugar in hot tea and about 3 table spoons of milk/cream in it.  You might try that, but if you aren't a tea drinker, I will not hold it against you.  Much.

3 minutes? I only usually have the bag in as I pour the water, then squash the bag with the back of the spoon a couple times then take the bag out...hehe, maybe I'll stick with the summer berry tea.

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

then squash the bag with the back of the spoon a couple times

Well, there is your problem.  That insures that you will get some nasty tannin in the tea.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Just got back from a Remembrance Day dinner at the Royal Canadian Legion hall in town with the family. We had roast beef which was cut in half inch thick slices and was fall apart tender, mashed potatoes and gravy that was actually made from the roast juices, not some powered or canned stuff that they try to pass as gravy, mixed beans and carrots and turnip puff. For desert there was chocolate and vanilla cake that was made to congratulate my Grandfather who had recently received the Ushakov Medal from the Russian Ambassador for his participation in the Arctic Allied Convoys during WW2.

Awesome meal!

It's been a while for me to go to a bar.  I forgot the which was which, a "snakebite" or a "black velvet" and ordered a snakebite.   I fixed it with the 2nd one.

A snakebite is a lager/cider mix and black velvet is a cider/stout mix, in case any one isn't up on cider/beer mixed drinks.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's been a while for me to go to a bar.  I forgot the which was which, a "snakebite" or a "black velvet" and ordered a snakebite.   I fixed it with the 2nd one.

A snakebite is a lager/cider mix and black velvet is a cider/stout mix, in case any one isn't up on cider/beer mixed drinks.

Hm. My wife says that in the part of the Northeast of the US where she is from, a Black Velvet is a mix of stout and sparkling wine. She has never heard of a 'Snakebite' up there, mind. But then I seem to remember that there's a different parlance for these things in various regions of the US? *scratches head*

Venomous snakes in the USA are generally native to southern latitudes (being cold-blooded, they don't survive frosty winters very well), so the likelihood of anything invented in the Northeast being called a "Snakebite" is kind of low.

Grits with butter and raspberry jam.  I know I said that breakfast cereal can be improved with raspberry jam, but use caution when putting it on shredded wheat.   It's not a taste thing, but a texture thing.  Too much and the last few bites are more than a little slimy.

Now doing the smoked stuff meal.  The tea at this time of night would be a Bad Idea, but I have a mild migraine and I took my mid level OTC drug for that which has caffeine so I'm going to be up for a while any way.

6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Now doing the smoked stuff meal.  The tea at this time of night would be a Bad Idea, but I have a mild migraine and I took my mid level OTC drug for that which has caffeine so I'm going to be up for a while any way.

Tea does have caffeine, but it has other components which have a calming and relaxing effect.  You could try green or white tea, which have less caffeine (white has the least) and more antioxidants (white tea has the most).

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

You could try green or white tea, which have less caffeine (white has the least) and more antioxidants (white tea has the most).

I do drink green, in the "gun powder" form or the "Genmaicha" (green tea with toasted rice) form, but black teas are where my heart goes. 

White tea is

1. Too expensive
  2. At least to me, fairly tasteless

I don't drink tea for health reasons, so the level of antioxidants falls in the "yeah, that's nice" zone, which is one step up from the "meh" zone ;)

Right now I have a cup of PGtip tea and am in the processes of cooking some bratwurst.

Brewing a nice mug of white chai tea, which I tend to drink with honey but without any milk.  Expecting to have a sausage and mushroom calzone shortly.  I suspect pizza places do a brisk business the day after Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Japanese beef curry rice was awesome. My son has the recipe nailed.

Butterscotch pie was very butterscotch-y. Not a repeater (I made it), but glad to have tasted it.

Nigiri sake digestif (can't remember the brand name) went wonderfully with both, somehow. I like the unfiltered sake type for some reason.

Now drinking tea.