• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Story Friday April 3rd 2020

1 hour ago, detrius said:

Elliot seems to have a bit of a "There's a name for that?" moment.

Elliot's term is clearer. It is ambiguous, to me, anyway, if agender would mean mental or physical like intersexed. It's clear her from context, but in general, not so much. Not likely to be a thing IRL, as it is not really applicable unless you have Elliot's options.

5 hours ago, detrius said:

That was my firs thought, but it didn't quite make sense to me - he knows that many variations on gender exist (including gender fluid) so why would he be surprised that there was a name for his exact variation?

Then I read the commentary, and realized Elliot's surprise is due to Susan's second word balloon. Look at the phrasing: she doesn't know yet that the "change" (such as it was) already happened!

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Then I read the commentary, and realized Elliot's surprise is due to Susan's second word balloon. Look at the phrasing: she doesn't know yet that the "change" (such as it was) already happened!

I'm not sure about that.  It's not really clear that her "not thinking about it" implies that she didn't know it had changed.  I can see it going both ways.

Just now, detrius said:

Elliot's reaction could also be in regard's to Susan's comment about trying to not think about magic changing, reminding Elliot that Susan originally didn't want to come to the party because she might feel forced to talk about what happened to her. Elliot might be like "Oh no, is talking about my feelings making her feel obligated to talk about hers before she's ready to?"

Like how Grace had to quickly change the subject when talking to Sarah before.

Just now, ChronosCat said:

I think she was aware of the possibility, I'm pretty sure they all talked about it in the week leading up to the incident, Sarah told Susan about her spell, is there any reason to think that she didn't also tell Susan that she was asked to use it frequently and why?

OH, I just found confirmation, it was mentioned when Justin and Susan were talking about her upcoming meeting with Diane.

22 minutes ago, Scotty said:

OH, I just found confirmation, it was mentioned when Justin and Susan were talking about her upcoming meeting with Diane.

And the fact that there was a change to magic was shared with Elliot and Ashley here, where Ellen got the info from Nanase.  It's possible that that detail was passed on during the brief conversation that Elliot and Susan had.

3 minutes ago, mlooney said:

And the fact that there was a change to magic was shared with Elliot and Ashley here, where Ellen got the info from Nanase.  It's possible that that detail was passed on during the brief conversation that Elliot and Susan had.

Even if Elliot never told Susan about the magic "not change" before, Susan's already heard it mention in regards to Grace being able to do new things earlier in this party. But all that basically amounts to is "magic kinda changed, but as far as we can tell it's made it easier for Grace to use magic"

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

But there's another change in the offing. Not a general rules change, but a change specific to Moperville: at some point the local pool of magical energy will be depleted enough that it's safe to remove the clog, and then low-power magic-users will not be able to do high-power magic (as they already can't, outside of the Moperville area). We know Sarah is - or was at last report - an instance of that. Some of the others are unclear.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

I'm not sure about that.  It's not really clear that her "not thinking about it" implies that she didn't know it had changed.  I can see it going both ways.

It could go either way, which is why I missed it at first. However, her not knowing would explain both Elliot's look of surprise and Dan's commentary. If you don't think Dan is talking about Susan not knowing there's no longer a threat of a change to magic, then do you have an alternate explanation for what he's talking about?

58 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think she was aware of the possibility, I'm pretty sure they all talked about it in the week leading up to the incident, Sarah told Susan about her spell, is there any reason to think that she didn't also tell Susan that she was asked to use it frequently and why?

She obviously knew it was possible magic would change; that's (presumably) the reason she was worried about loosing access to her fairies. What I'm proposing is that she doesn't know that the threat is passed.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Even if Elliot never told Susan about the magic "not change" before, Susan's already heard it mention in regards to Grace being able to do new things earlier in this party. But all that basically amounts to is "magic kinda changed, but as far as we can tell it's made it easier for Grace to use magic"

Susan heard that Grace has gained new abilities, but unless I missed something while speed re-reading, no said outright on panel that Grace's new abilities have to do with magic changing. So there's no reason for Susan to have connected it with the magic change everyone was worried about.

56 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

We know Sarah is - or was at last report - an instance of that.

When the focus was on her, she was practicing like crazy. That should help her mitigate the loss of ambient power. I assume at some point Pandora's reboot will show up to continue training her; will likely provide some sort of artificial boost, if need be.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:
8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Well, as a source of Elliot's surprise it makes more sense than the "agender" term. However, I have another idea: does Elliot even know that Susan can summon fairies?

Seriously, recapping is totally necessary and we should have more of it because there is LOT of stuff which might've been missed in "synchronization" of info between main eight.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Elliot's reaction could also be in regard's to Susan's comment about trying to not think about magic changing, reminding Elliot that Susan originally didn't want to come to the party because she might feel forced to talk about what happened to her. Elliot might be like "Oh no, is talking about my feelings making her feel obligated to talk about hers before she's ready to?"

Like how Grace had to quickly change the subject when talking to Sarah before.

I don't think so, because unlike in Sarah's case, Elliot is not aware WHY would that be related.

7 hours ago, mlooney said:

It's interesting that despite being next to the reason WHY magic changed, Susan may not know that it happened. Assuming she's not looking at her book again, because she would be unlikely to not notice something changed with them :)

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

But there's another change in the offing. Not a general rules change, but a change specific to Moperville: at some point the local pool of magical energy will be depleted enough that it's safe to remove the clog, and then low-power magic-users will not be able to do high-power magic (as they already can't, outside of the Moperville area). We know Sarah is - or was at last report - an instance of that. Some of the others are unclear.

Not really. Susan has magic for long time and the fairies don't look as that hard spell. I think that from main eight, Sarah is only one who might be in problems. Outside from main eight, maybe Ashley? She's wizard, but has extremely low talent, she may get into problems without ambient magic.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

We know Sarah is - or was at last report - an instance of that.

When the focus was on her, she was practicing like crazy. That should help her mitigate the loss of ambient power. I assume at some point Pandora's reboot will show up to continue training her; will likely provide some sort of artificial boost, if need be.

If you reread the instruction Pandora gave her, she was actually practicing so much she was over the point of optimal training. The training is only happening when she's using her own magic. When she uses mostly ambient magic because her own didn't replenished yet, it's not effective.

I think she may be still risking losing access to her spell if the clog would be unclogged now ... but, well, it wouldn't. Noone is currently working on that and it can take weeks before someone will, giving her more time for training.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think so, because unlike in Sarah's case, Elliot is not aware WHY would that be related.

Elliot knows there's something that happened to Susan that she hasn't been willing to talk about yet, her tone could be enough to give Elliot a reason to think the conversation is getting to close to.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Elliot knows there's something that happened to Susan that she hasn't been willing to talk about yet, her tone could be enough to give Elliot a reason to think the conversation is getting to close to.

Hmmm, tone, ... that would obviously be hard to say from visual medium.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The way she hesitates and then trails trails off when she says "I'd...miss my fairies..." could be taken as "I'm getting into territory in which she'll be talking about her feelings, and Sarah mentioned that she was having a hard time dealing with feelings, so maybe I should back off?"

6 minutes ago, Scotty said:
15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The way she hesitates and then trails trails off when she says "I'd...miss my fairies..." could be taken as "I'm getting into territory in which she'll be talking about her feelings, and Sarah mentioned that she was having a hard time dealing with feelings, so maybe I should back off?"

Hmmmm ... I still think the reaction is too strong to be that, but we will see next comix. Hopefully.

PS: Totally agree with Tedd. I don't think Diane needs to fear there will be any critical analysis going on, at least if the one opening the door will be actually man. Also, seems that Diane is really enjoying it.

Of course, we may still somehow get this girl instead, despite the fact that she SHOULD be at least in different state unless Magus is really lazy.

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Of course, we may still somehow get this girl instead,

ARRGGHH!

This is EGS written by The Dan who almost always creates a new character if that is what would happen in real life.  If, and it's a big if, the pizza delivery person is a woman or girl it will be some one we have not seen before.  Likewise if it's a man or boy...

Growl, grrr, snap, bark, etc.

Susan is very close to openly discussing her feelings
Extreme care must be taken
If you push her, she may go silent altogether

As for Diane, when she becomes a Supervillain, she will either be the most dangerous mastermind or the most deluded lacky ever

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect that Elliot could push Susan more than a random person could.  But I also think Elliot is the person least likely to do so.

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for Diane, when she becomes a Supervillain, she will either be the most dangerous mastermind or the most deluded lacky ever

Why not both?  :-)

25 minutes ago, mlooney said:
32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I suspect that Elliot could push Susan more than a random person could.  But I also think Elliot is the person least likely to do so.

... deliberately.

34 minutes ago, mlooney said:

This is EGS written by The Dan who almost always creates a new character if that is what would happen in real life.  If, and it's a big if, the pizza delivery person is a woman or girl it will be some one we have not seen before.  Likewise if it's a man or boy...

Hmmmm ... true, but didn't he complained about it somewhere claiming he tries to change that?

Just now, hkmaly said:

Hmmmm ... true, but didn't he complained about it somewhere claiming he tries to change that?

Not that I've noticed.  But I don't read all of his tweets, so it's possible.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not that I've noticed.  But I don't read all of his tweets, so it's possible.

In any case, him using existing characters when it IS possible did happened in past. (See also commentary.)
But I agree that in case of the pizza girl it would be suspicious.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Of course, we may still somehow get this girl instead, despite the fact that she SHOULD be at least in different state unless Magus is really lazy.

She should at least be in a different part of town or from a pizza shop other than the one they normally order from as we haven't seen her before. But Magus does not seem to need distance, his is a powerful magic user and has masked the room he's in where the doorway does not exist unless he wants it. He might well still be local, especially if he feels he still owes apologies and favors.

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
1 hour ago, mlooney said:

... deliberately.

I concur. Elliot could easily do so without thinking. He misses details sometimes that the other characters get.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, as a source of Elliot's surprise it makes more sense than the "agender" term. However, I have another idea: does Elliot even know that Susan can summon fairies?

Seriously, recapping is totally necessary and we should have more of it because there is LOT of stuff which might've been missed in "synchronization" of info between main eight.

"Playing With Dolls" happened three weeks ago, so Elliot might not know yet that Susan has faeries other than Little Na'se.