• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Fluffy

NP Comic for Tuesday, Aug 8, 2023

NP Comic for Tuesday, Aug 8, 2023

Like all amazing things, after you see them a couple of times, they become mundane. Cheerleadra should be old news by now, no?

George has quite the skill at overthinking a situation. I wonder if he could be a future pundit on the EGS universe's version of Fox News?

In the last panel, it is a good thing that George did not say, "I can't pull my finger on it . . .", because that idea really stinks.If he did, Ellen would be choking, not whistling.And her eyes would be watering, which is probably difficult to draw.

Do you wonder what Ellen is whistling? There are not very many clues. There is no staff, but the notes appear to be a note, a half note down, and then return to the first note. They are three equal half notes, one with the free floating flag, and two with the tied together notation. That should not matter, the lengths should be the same. And that's all, just a bit of a remembered song.

Dan is missing an opportunity, He could have a much more elaborate whistling tune, the title of which could be an additional punchline. We could speculate endlessly.

So what's weird about Ellen? That she just showed up one day and took Elliot's slot on Nanase's dance card?  Was it something that Justin inadvertently let slip? Does she look a little too much like her brother?

George thinks Ellen is weird, and is Elliot. She is fairly mundane most of the time. He has seen Tedd's hair color change within minutes, but that's not a concern? He works with Grace, and she can't help being weird. Priorities! What's wrong with you, man?

The thing about Ellen that is the most suspicious is that she is a “twin” of Elliot who suddenly came out of nowhere, with nobody even hinting at her existence before. This simply screams “fabricated identity”. Plus, Ellen’s real origin is even weirder than George suspects—she is a copy of a female Elliot, as opposed to being Elliot herself.

Aside from sex, Elliot and Ellen really look like identical twins. Which is weird. Yeah it could happen naturally... each child would have to inherit the *same* chromosome from each of the mother's 23 pairs, and from 22 of the father's (the other one being the sex chromosome pair, where they obviously have to *not* inherit the same one). So it would happen once per 2^45 (approximately 32 trillion) sets of twins.

(And that's an overestimate, because it doesn't take recombination - where the two chromosomes in a pair swap parts between them - into account. But I'm going to ignore that.)

The total number of humans who have ever lived is (estimated) only 117 billion, and most of them weren't twins. Even if all of them were twins, there'd be only about 1 chance in 550 that a pair of so-close-to-identical twins has ever yet existed; and if one had, there'd only be about a 7% chance they'd be alive now.

Aye, but if everyone in Moperville has grown up together with “Elliot and Ellen, the opposite-sex identical twins” for the last nineteen years since birth, then they would think it merely an odd coincidence, or at worst some odd genetic engineering program. It is the fact that nobody had ever had even a hint of her existence before February of last year, and then suddenly she is there, with a bunch of friends who do not question it and who act  far more familiar with her than they should be.

This would only seem odd to people that knew Elliot prior to Ellen being created. And they've taken steps to avoid the obvious; separate schools. Neighbors should have noticed. Also people at any regularly attended social functions. George? Probably not. He only knew Elliot visits Justin at the store, and not very often, recall Elliot was not well versed in comics. He probably knows nothing of Elliot's family, so having a twin sister appear would be a little odd, but not unheard of.

It is reasonable for him to suspect she might also have some weird power since he knows Elliot is Cheerleadra. But he also knows about Justin kicking the fire monster. He might reasonably suspect the crew hangs out because they have weird powers, kind of like in the comic books they sell.

On 8/9/2023 at 5:31 PM, Don Edwards said:

Aside from sex, Elliot and Ellen really look like identical twins. Which is weird. Yeah it could happen naturally... each child would have to inherit the *same* chromosome from each of the mother's 23 pairs, and from 22 of the father's (the other one being the sex chromosome pair, where they obviously have to *not* inherit the same one). So it would happen once per 2^45 (approximately 32 trillion) sets of twins.

People don't have to be genetically identical to appear extremely similar; sometimes nearly-identical people aren't even all that closely related. And with Elliot and Ellen being different heights and having different frames, they don't really appear identical even if they have a lot of similar traits.