• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Howitzer

Story: Wednesday, April 6, 2016

8 hours ago, Wildcat said:

...ok, them being Pandora's kids would make things more interesting. Feasible if they're both adopted. The item summoning thing would probably come from the other parent. I'd expect some odd magic stuff that we haven't really seen if that was the case. They don't have the pointed ears though, and I think Raven has pronounced canines?

Their features would match 1/4 immortal, but although I don't count on it actually being impossible, I don't see it coming.

I know some cartoonists will give a person pronounced canines as part of a specific look they're trying to achieve, like a person showing anger. I've looked through the archives and the only evidence that I've found of Dan doing that has been Grace but I don't think I should count her because of her genetics (being part squirrel) and shape shifting ability, considering all the other fine adjustments she could do to herself, teeth wouldn't be a problem for her.

Any real chance of seeing evidence of Susan or Diane having pronounce canines would have been both when Susan awakened, and when Diane was fighting the rumour that Elliot was gay.

Just out of curiosity though, and this goes back to the Uryoum egg issue. But the shape shifting ability in Seyunolus, I can see that being a thing in the case of ones that have Uryuom DNA (greater chimeras like Grace, Vladia, Noah) or at the very least DNA that would normally not be compatible (in the case of lesser chimeras like Hedge and Gineas) and while there's probably too many variables to determine what Immortal, or elf DNA would result, what if the only DNA put in an egg is just from 2 human donors? It'd reasonable to assume that the resulting child wouldn't have Uryuom shape shifting ability because the egg wouldn't need to account for a secondary form.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Just out of curiosity though, and this goes back to the Uryoum egg issue. But the shape shifting ability in Seyunolus, I can see that being a thing in the case of ones that have Uryuom DNA (greater chimeras like Grace, Vladia, Noah) or at the very least DNA that would normally not be compatible (in the case of lesser chimeras like Hedge and Gineas) and while there's probably too many variables to determine what Immortal, or elf DNA would result, what if the only DNA put in an egg is just from 2 human donors? It'd reasonable to assume that the resulting child wouldn't have Uryuom shape shifting ability because the egg wouldn't need to account for a secondary form.

I agree. And all we really know about Hedge and Gunias's magic is that they can shapeshift with some difficulty.

InfiniteRemnant, I'm not trying to come up with a mathematical proof; I'm trying to speculate about the future storyline of a fantasy webcomic. Anyway, the Old Hack has stated much of what I would have said myself. Noriko has already abandoned a marriage and a child, so we have no evidence to assume that she would be willing to take over the rearing of Noah once his custodial parents were murdered. We know she wasn't a custodial parent, because Noah has said that his parents are dead. He was referring to the persons who were rearing him. Noriko being one of Noah's gene donors neatly explains how he ended up with Raven.

As for how Noriko could be one of Noah's gene donors, the possibilities are nigh endless. For example, a couple of blond greater chimera might have asked her, "Hey, we have this fine egg here and we would like to take a chance on creating the child of prophecy. A few badassed wizard genes could only help. What do you say?"

18 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I was born at 6.15 PM on March 14, 1966. According to my mother, anyway.

Indeed?  And what, pray tell, was that fine lady's maiden name?  Purely out of curiosity, of course!

(Hmm, no idea what your equivalent of the last four digits of your social security number would be....)

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I know some cartoonists will give a person pronounced canines as part of a specific look they're trying to achieve, like a person showing anger. I've looked through the archives and the only evidence that I've found of Dan doing that has been Grace but I don't think I should count her because of her genetics (being part squirrel) and shape shifting ability, considering all the other fine adjustments she could do to herself, teeth wouldn't be a problem for her.

Catalina has pronounced canines. But I think she has them always, not only when angry.

6 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

As for how Noriko could be one of Noah's gene donors, the possibilities are nigh endless. For example, a couple of blond greater chimera might have asked her, "Hey, we have this fine egg here and we would like to take a chance on creating the child of prophecy. A few badassed wizard genes could only help. What do you say?"

I don't think this would make her not care about the kid.

18 hours ago, Wildcat said:

...ok, them being Pandora's kids would make things more interesting. Feasible if they're both adopted. The item summoning thing would probably come from the other parent. I'd expect some odd magic stuff that we haven't really seen if that was the case. They don't have the pointed ears though, and I think Raven has pronounced canines?

Their features would match 1/4 immortal, but although I don't count on it actually being impossible, I don't see it coming.

Maybe the ears get longer the longer they live? Adrian Raven is much older. Or they may be under permanent transformation from Pandora - she DID transformed Adrian in Sister II, so it can't be THAT impossible.

Wait. Diane is in same school as Adrian. It doesn't seem likely he overlook her being part elf. This wasn't first time he saw her. Pity, it was nice theory. (This is even bigger plot hole for the "they are Adrian's kids" theory. He may not know about Susan, but Diane?)

19 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

The kids have been seen saving the day, it's shown up online and on tv, some of the incidents are weeks or months old at this point, DGB supposedly keeps tabs on them, and Susan has experience 'hunting' yet there hasn't been a peep in canon.

Maybe Edward insisted they must wait for them being 23 years old as per FBI rules, despite the bad situation?

Frankly, the situation doesn't seem to be THAT bad, unless they are much better in keeping incidents secret than in killing aberrations. Still, it seems obvious to me that DGB does plan to enlist them, with age being most likely reason they didn't already. They don't need to inform them about it years in advance.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Catalina has pronounced canines. But I think she has them always, not only when angry.

D'oh! Catalina would have been an obvious one to look at. Though Dan pretty much from her introduction wanted her to have cat-like appearance and personality so of course she'd have them.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think this would make her not care about the kid.

Maybe the ears get longer the longer they live? Adrian Raven is much older. Or they may be under permanent transformation from Pandora - she DID transformed Adrian in Sister II, so it can't be THAT impossible.

Wait. Diane is in same school as Adrian. It doesn't seem likely he overlook her being part elf. This wasn't first time he saw her. Pity, it was nice theory. (This is even bigger plot hole for the "they are Adrian's kids" theory. He may not know about Susan, but Diane?)

Maybe Edward insisted they must wait for them being 23 years old as per FBI rules, despite the bad situation?

Frankly, the situation doesn't seem to be THAT bad, unless they are much better in keeping incidents secret than in killing aberrations. Still, it seems obvious to me that DGB does plan to enlist them, with age being most likely reason they didn't already. They don't need to inform them about it years in advance.

We don't really know how much Noriko cares about her children. We have some idea that she thinks monster hunting is more important than rearing them, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about them at all. Tedd has been left with Edward, a responsible adult; and Noah, if he turns out to be her child, has been left with Raven, another responsible adult.

As for Diane and Susan being related to Raven, I can envision something like this: The mad scientists have a ready supply of Uryuom eggs through Mr. Guyur. They are trying to breed super assassins. One of them has the bright idea, "Hey, instead of making them part animal, let's make them part immortal."

"I don't know about you, but I'm not going to approach some guy who probably is half crazy and can turn me into a frog and ask if I can swab the insides of his cheeks."

"How about if we use an elf instead of a pure immortal? A quarter-immortal would probably be more controllable anyway."

"Half-immortals can't breed with humans."

"That's in the conventional way. I bet no one has ever tried it with an Uryuom egg. As far as I can tell, those things will mix together any DNA that gets put into them."

"Hmmm, you might have something there. That would be worth trying."

So through some subterfuge, Raven's DNA gets acquired and put into an Uryuom egg. The other donors might be one or more human beings. This would mean that Susan and Diane are lesser chimera. They won't have any Uryuom features. Because no animal DNA was put into the egg, they won't be able to change into an animal hybrid. As for expected hair color, who knows? The rules of the EGS universe, which has green, blue, and purple as genetic hair colors, don't follow our own.

When the egg is eventually opened, they find a pair of identical twin girls. To the mad scientists' disappointment, they don't appear to be anything special. They don't have pointed ears. They can't make their formula bottles levitate. They can't turn into flocks of crows to attack people who annoy them. Eventually, they are put up for adoption and are given to two different couples.

If the above is correct, Susan and Diane actually might be able to shape change to have elf-like features, but they don't know because they have never tried to do such an improbable thing.

15 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

"I don't know about you, but I'm not going to approach some guy who probably is half crazy and can turn me into a frog and ask if I can swab the insides of his cheeks."

I don't think Immortal would be allowed to do that ... but yes, I totally see scientist not realize it. In fact, the biggest problem with your scenario is that the scientist might not KNOW about immortals.

As far as I can tell, those things will mix together any DNA that gets put into them."

We don't know if Raven have any DNA. But definitely worth trying, yes.

If the above is correct, Susan and Diane actually might be able to shape change to have elf-like features, but they don't know because they have never tried to do such an improbable thing.

Susan trying to look like Vulcan doesn't seem so improbable.

But anyway, this doesn't explain how would Adrian overlook that Diane is part elf. He noticed Grace and Ellen first day they were in school. The reason he is in school is likely to find magical talents. He might overlook (or not care about) Diane's talent for summoning if she wouldn't have any magic to speak about, but to overlook her being partly immortal?

We really don't know how much being quarter (or less) immortal shows. Ellen was awakened, and Grace is an extremely powerful greater chimera. They might be quite a bit different from a partial immortal in terms of sense perception.

6 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

We really don't know how much being quarter (or less) immortal shows. Ellen was awakened, and Grace is an extremely powerful greater chimera. They might be quite a bit different from a partial immortal in terms of sense perception.

True. Noone knows, as they are not supposed to exists. I still expect them being recognizable. Yet Adrian didn't saw anything in Diane and Jerry didn't saw anything in Susan.

BTW, I'm not sure if Grace is extremely powerful. She may be normal for someone with Lespuko genes.

Yeah if Susan and Diane were even a small part Immortal, I would think another Immortal would notice, although I do wonder if Adrian did detect Diane's potential, but her attitude at the time prevented him from grouping her with Nanase and Justin, I do believe that has certainly changed though and we'll see Diane spending more time at the lunch table at school.

51 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Immortal would be allowed to do that ... but yes, I totally see scientist not realize it. In fact, the biggest problem with your scenario is that the scientist might not KNOW about immortals.

We don't know if Raven have any DNA. But definitely worth trying, yes.

Susan trying to look like Vulcan doesn't seem so improbable.

But anyway, this doesn't explain how would Adrian overlook that Diane is part elf. He noticed Grace and Ellen first day they were in school. The reason he is in school is likely to find magical talents. He might overlook (or not care about) Diane's talent for summoning if she wouldn't have any magic to speak about, but to overlook her being partly immortal?

He might not know to look, and it may not be particularly noticeable when their magic is effectively dormant. Jerry not noticing Susan being part immortal is harder to explain, but if Pandora is involved, she could be masking it. Pandora being involved in something like this seems likely.

5 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I can't get this thing to let me edit my posts.

If it's white-on-white text, click the "Source" button and you'll get to see and edit your text. (And actually you CAN edit it without seeing it, or you can highlight sections of the white-on-white to make them readable for a moment... but it's vastly easier to edit if you can actually see all that's going on.)

If it's something else, you'll have to tell us what.

On 4/11/2016 at 11:12 AM, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I'm trying to speculate about the future storyline of a fantasy webcomic.

It still doesn't make any sense. With the amount of information we have the blond 12 year old with the baseball cap who frequents the comic shop is just as likely as Noah.

...gets about as much screen time too...

4 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
On 04/11/2016 at 7:12 PM, Xenophon Hendrix said:

I'm trying to speculate about the future storyline of a fantasy webcomic.

It still doesn't make any sense. With the amount of information we have the blond 12 year old with the baseball cap who frequents the comic shop is just as likely as Noah.

I like this speculation. See, this is how you should do it. The age would certainly fit better.

2 hours ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

The kid with the baseball cap isn't being reared by Raven.

that character was ass-pulled at random, but what the hell. I'm sticking with it.

How is Raven in any way a necessity?

12 minutes ago, Xenophon Hendrix said:

The kid with the baseball cap isn't being reared by Raven.

You mean we didn't SAW him being reared by Raven.

5 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

that character was ass-pulled at random

There's not that many characters in correct age.

Based on http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=1450  compared to http://elgoonishshive.wikia.com/wiki/Nanase Duck has roughly the same face shape as nanase. (family resemblance? Admittedly we never see his eyes...)

Duck doesn't appear to be phased by the shenanigans Nanase, Justin, and Grace occasionally pull at the comic shop, (illusions, fairy dolls, grace's inconsistent appearance, etc) which would imply a certain degree of familiarity with magic.

Mismatched haircolor is easily explained away by Dye, Magic, Paternal hereditary traits, or a combination of the three.

Duck physically appears to be Jr high age, judging by the height gap between himself and the main cast while still being the same height as his friends. Which puts him in the correct age range based on the speculated gap between Ted and the unknown sibling.

Duck gets a surprising amount of screen time for an extra, showing up in multiple arcs.

It's entirely possible Duck lives with his father and has little to no contact with Noriko. It would fit her established MO.

37 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

It's entirely possible Duck lives with his father and has little to no contact with Noriko. It would fit her established MO.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that Noriko has an MO of marrying, having a kid, then taking off and repeating, I don't consider her a pathological deadbeat mom. If she does have other children she either was pregnant with Edward's second child before the divorce (possibly just a few weeks pregnant and Edward didn't know), or she remarried once and had a child with her new husband. I'm having a difficult time believing that she would ever remarry though so if she had another child and Edward's not the father then she either had a one night stand with someone, or she was artificially inseminated. I kinda get the feeling though that Noriko would be rather picky about who she'd have father her child though since she'd want to make sure that the child was worthy of being an apprentice. I'm not sure how she'd go about doing that though.

yeah, some of those are a bit of a stretch, but i didn't mean to imply she remarried. just that the child lives with their father because something didn't last. also while said father can be, he doesn't need to be the biological father, there are PLENTY of scenarios for both knowing and (if the dad is dumb enough, or the timing coincidental enough) not knowing the child isn't his.

for example, Noriko realizing after she left that she's pregnant, not wanting to go back to Edward out of a (possibly irrational) belief that the child will be like Tedd, so she gives them up and (insert nameless extra here) takes them in.

2 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I disagree. Duck is MORE likely than Noah is to be Noriko's child.

(But it's still a very low probability. The only way Noah makes sense is if someone got a sample of Noriko's DNA and put it into a Uryuom egg without her knowledge or consent - and that works exactly as well for Duck. Other options, Duck at least has a more plausible age difference as compared to Tedd, but still, why is Duck in Moperville rather than with Noriko?)