• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

There is not a native Anddroid app that lets you cut text out of unlocked PDF document.  A fully paid for version of PDF Reader by Adobe lets you export as a .DOCX file, and I have full Word on this tablet so it's not the end of the world as we know it.

Did find one that allows multiple PDF files to be opened with tabs, with is useful (Xodo being the app that has tabs.)

I am less than fully gruntled right now.

The problem with being ADHD is that if you take medication for it, yes, you can concentrate on a single task.  Lord help you if you get side tracked, however.  I've spent several hours trying to figure out why www.google.com takes 5 seconds to load, when other pages load up in less than a second.

Oh yes, I know about getting sidetracked. I try to keep myself on a single task and get annoyed at being pulled away from it because I know that it will be extremely difficult to get BACK onto that task once distracted.

I seem to recall, back in the dark days of dialup, that early morning was the best time to use the internet.

Not so now, if you have Cox Cable any way.  between 1:00 and 2:00, plus or minus 15 minutes on either end, speed go to crap and stays there.

How about web pages that can't even display plain text unless you unblock at least a couple third-party script sources... and the page references over a dozen of them.

7 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

How about web pages that can't even display plain text unless you unblock at least a couple third-party script sources... and the page references over a dozen of them.

Yeah, that sub optimal as well.

14 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

The NoScript button on my Firefox top bar gets a good workout almost daily because of this.

You want fun with NoScript? Go to Formula1.com on race day and try to follow the live timing and scoring. I've never seen so many IP addresses on one page.

It is way more difficult than it should be to find an image editor for Android that works on a tablet vs a phone, is made for adults, and has a simple "pencil/pen" functionality.  I have a Linux virtual machine that has Gimp loaded on it, but that's a bit of over kill for putting dots on a hex map.

Free WiFi at the laundromat being way slower than my maxed out internet at home.  That and visiting a Sam's Club without taking strong drugs first.  More the Sam's Club thing.

I went in to get the oil changed on the van (2012 Dodge Grand Caravan) and it turned out it was due for a transmission fluid and filter change as well so I said sure. They get working on it right away, about 15 minutes later I hear some grinding and thought that was odd, and 10 minutes after that the one mechanic is talking to the head mechanic (someone who's been there for at least as long as I've been taking vehicles there, we pretty much know each other by name now) who's flipping through various papers and telling the guy what needs to be done, and they're both poking around in the engine compartment. I'm a little concerned because it's sounds like the other mechanic had never done transmission work before so I go over and ask if there's a problem.

Turn's out it wasn't so much a problem, but just tedious work because apparently a number of car manufacturers are designing vehicles and engines in such a way to make it so that only dealerships would be able to service them, an example of this was the fact that there was no transmission fluid dipstick in my van so they had to use an aftermarket dipstick. The papers the head mechanic was going through were various engine/transmission specs because there were no labels to tell what was needed on the transmission itself and they had to use a special laser tool to measure the inside of the transmission to be able to know how much fluid was needes. The grinding earlier was because Dodge doesn't use gaskets on the transmission casing, instead they use a bead of silicon which had to be ground off and a new bead applied when the casing was put back together.

All in all, I'd still rather go to these guys because I can just drive up whenever and I can hop next door to the A&W and have lunch and they're usually done before I finish eating, if I had to go to the dealership to get it done, I'd have to first schedule an appointment, the dealership isn't in a location where I can go get lunch or do something to pass the time, and they take several hours to get it done.

Basically I'm being annoyed behalf of my oil change guys.

On 9/4/2016 at 9:21 AM, mlooney said:

I've been wondering why my apartment has had such weird swings in temperature. Turns out the thermostat was set to "off"

As the yellow man on the show I don't watch says "D'oh"

We fixed the air conditioner. But it still ends up at 80 degrees because people keep bumping the temperature up. What was the point of fixing air conditioner if you're not going to use it?

On 9/6/2016 at 8:42 AM, Don Edwards said:

I find it ridiculously annoying when I end up going to a picture/caption website for something like "20 bizarre Google Maps finds" or something...and instead of one or two pages with pictures and text below them, it's...

• Page 1: Intro.
  • Page 2: First picture.
  • Page 3: First picture, with text below it.
  • Page 4: Second picture.
  • Page 5: Second picture, with text.
  • Page 6: Third picture...

And so on. Sometimes there's two pages of text, usually like one sentence each. This turns what could be one or two pages into about thirty pages. Often with so many ads that it takes forever to load each page!

Speaking of ads: Wikia. While the Wikia layout itself is fine, the excessive ads make it very hard to even scroll down to the next paragraph. Ads sometimes expand or collapse when you're reading, resulting in all the text jumping up and down. The wiki has a series-relevant background image...that is rapidly overtaken by an ad for WoW or something. This could be a problem with my laptop (darn seven-year-old technology) and my terrible Wi-Fi signal, but still.

Ah, ads on game sites. I remember I had a problem with them that finally made me lose my patience and install ad blockers. But before I did, I had a singular experience: an ad window that insisted on showing full page ads compressed to a tiny two by three inch size. One of the ads it showed was for the expansion to the Conan MMO, which was called Rise of the Godslayer. It was so blurry that it took several attempts for me to read it properly, and for a while I was convinced it was actually called Rise of the Cosplayers.

It's too bad, really. If it had been the latter, I think I would have tried the game just to see that.

You can't run fakeroot inside a fakeroot.  You can't even update libfakeroot inside a fakeroot.

I want those 12 hours of my life back.

An error message, instead of just hanging would have been oh so nice.

On 9/14/2016 at 3:29 PM, The Old Hack said:

Ah, ads on game sites. I remember I had a problem with them that finally made me lose my patience and install ad blockers. But before I did, I had a singular experience: an ad window that insisted on showing full page ads compressed to a tiny two by three inch size. One of the ads it showed was for the expansion to the Conan MMO, which was called Rise of the Godslayer. It was so blurry that it took several attempts for me to read it properly, and for a while I was convinced it was actually called Rise of the Cosplayers.

It's too bad, really. If it had been the latter, I think I would have tried the game just to see that.

Yeah, I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but the main reason I started used ad blockers was because there was a period of time when the ad servers didn't really curate what ads it displayed so it was possible to get malware and viruses from false ads. I'm still not convinced that it's been fixed so I keep the blocker on.

I have tried to unblock Twitch.tv a few times, but they seem to have an issue with ads that are supposed to be 20-30 seconds long taking 5-10 minutes to play because it'd play it at 1-2 frames ever few seconds, some streamers that I've watched had it set to auto run ads every 15 minutes so it's a real pain to get through one ad only to have another play a few minutes later, there's no way I could watch streamers that I like with that happening.

17 minutes ago, Stature said:

100 days of Christmas starts now. And I am not really happy about that.

You do know that the "12 Days of Christmas" start on the 25th, not end on the 25th right?  At least for the Western Rite, the Eastern branch shifts the start back a bit, to Jan 7th, but even then the 12 days start with Christmas, not end with it.

Of, and congratulations on being my first target of my "church calendar" rant for 2016.  Unless I stay off the internet for the next 3 months or so, you will not be the last.* Here, have a gold star.

*And I get grumper and grumpier about it as the season progresses.

Edited by mlooney
Facts, really bad spelling errors, normal clean up...

7 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Of, and congratulations on being my first target of my "church calendar" rant for 2016.  Unless I stay off the internet for the next 3 months or so, you will not be the last.* Here, have a gold star.

*And I get grumper and grumpier about it as the season progresses.

BAH! HUMBUG!

Just now, mlooney said:

At least he knew when the start date was.

And he spoke a to my mind eternal truth.

Here's another:

Christmas time is here, by golly; disapproval would be folly, deck the halls with boughs of holly, fill the cups and don't say when

Kill the turkeys, ducks and chickens; fill the punch bowl, draaaaaag out the Dickens, even though the prospect sickens, brother here we go again...

Cox Cable1, just in general.  Pushing the make you mad zone.

#1stworldproblem
#geekproblem

Also music on hold loud enough to trigger the anti-feed back feature of a mobile phone on speaker mode. Really bad idea.

1This ASCII art will be called figure 1 in later posts that need it. Please note for your records.

I don't own a microwave (or a TV, but that's separate rant) and really don't have space for one.  I barely have space for the rice maker.  The only real downside, other than it being a pain to heat the legacy frozen dinners I have, is that when a cup of tea or coffee gets cold, there isn't much I can do about it.  Cold tea isn't a problem, but I'm not one of those people that think that coffee is a drink that can be served other than hot.  Most of Starbuck's menu is, at best, meh, and at worse, an affront to all things Lawful Good.

#1stworldproblems