• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

Changing Medications (Level of Trust Required)

1,263 posts in this topic

Our office manager has a chronic cough, not nearly as bad as yours, and she finds that drinking hot water helps.  The original suggestion was hot tea, but she found that plain hot water works just as well.  Maybe why the soup helped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Good Lord :( Do take good care of yourself, Prof. And yes, I know that Mrs. Prof is looking out for you, which is a source of relief for me, but still. (Give her my regards and my thanks for the good job she is doing.)

I hope that bollocking tree pollen crap starts tapering off soon.

While I am a north of Prof. I just checked weather.com.  We _will_ have a thunderstorm and the pollen alerts for Friday and Saturday are "very high".  Weather.com uses rings to indicate the amount of pollen.  Friday and Saturday they are 100% full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Our office manager has a chronic cough, not nearly as bad as yours, and she finds that drinking hot water helps.  The original suggestion was hot tea, but she found that plain hot water works just as well.  Maybe why the soup helped?

I've been drinking that Jasmine Oolong. It seems to have a soothing effect, but I can only handle so much of it a day. Sounds like a good idea right now, though. BRB.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

While I am a north of Prof. I just checked weather.com.  We _will_ have a thunderstorm and the pollen alerts for Friday and Saturday are "very high".  Weather.com uses rings to indicate the amount of pollen.  Friday and Saturday they are 100% full.

Our storm just blew through (knocking out the power temporarily), and pollen.com says we'll only have a 4 out of 12 today. However, we're scheduled for high-to-mid 10s through the weekend, followed by an 11.4 on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going back to the doctor Friday.

The Ventolin inhaler isn't working anymore, and I don't think the Azelastine nose spray ever has. I seriously thought I was going to wind up in the emergency room Wednesday night. Today (Thursday), I got hit with a solid three-minute-long coughing fit while waiting for some tea to steep. Mrs. Prof was in another room when it happened. She came in with a less than happy look on her face and told me to call the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] doctor and make another appointment.

To her credit, she did come home from her cat T-N-R duties with a wide variety of soups (some of which only she would eat, but it's the thought that counts) and a Whataburger Monterrey Melt. (That's the weird part—I can eat/drink/sleep without coughing, but once I'm done, the coughing kicks back in.)

I'm just hoping that this doesn't screw with the spine doctor procedure that's scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm just hoping that this doesn't screw with the spine doctor procedure that's scheduled for this coming Tuesday.

Spine doctors tend to be overworked. Think of all the politicians that have their spines surgically removed. That is a lot of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

(That's the weird part—I can eat/drink/sleep without coughing, but once I'm done, the coughing kicks back in.)

I'm going to have to revise this. Shortly after 4:00 a.m. today (Friday), the coughing woke me up. Time for a hit from my Ventolin inhaler ... and probably some soup. Yeah. Soup is good. At four in the morning. Soup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ProfessorTomoe said:

I'm going to have to revise this. Shortly after 4:00 a.m. today (Friday), the coughing woke me up. Time for a hit from my Ventolin inhaler ... and probably some soup. Yeah. Soup is good. At four in the morning. Soup.

*sigh* I realise I have said this before, but even so. Go easy and take good care of yourself. And once again give our regards to the excellent Mrs. Prof and tell her how grateful we are to her for taking good care of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

*sigh* I realise I have said this before, but even so. Go easy and take good care of yourself. And once again give our regards to the excellent Mrs. Prof and tell her how grateful we are to her for taking good care of you.

I know I'm being a pain in the [insert least favorite body part here]. I apologize, and I thank you and everyone in the thread for your support. I do actually let Mrs. Prof know about your gratitude. It's just ... well ... things get scary sometimes. You folks are some of the only ones I feel who will really support me when I need it. I've grown to trust you (see the thread title—it's been earned), so I can share things here that I wouldn't elsewhere. I really, really appreciate that, from all of you. I'm sorry if I'm overusing the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I know I'm being a pain in the [insert least favorite body part here].

Codswallop. This thread and to a degree the entire Off Topic forum is meant as a venting post where you can let out frustrations in relative peace and safety. Anyone who doesn't feel like sharing doesn't have to read this thread. Those of us who do read it are generally adults who know what we are letting ourselves in for. So no apologies needed.

And yeah, I know a bit about things getting scary. None of us blame you, and we all root for you getting better.

HarJIT and Vorlonagent like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Codswallop. This thread and to a degree the entire Off Topic forum is meant as a venting post where you can let out frustrations in relative peace and safety. Anyone who doesn't feel like sharing doesn't have to read this thread. Those of us who do read it are generally adults who know what we are letting ourselves in for. So no apologies needed.

And yeah, I know a bit about things getting scary. None of us blame you, and we all root for you getting better.

You have my thanks, in abundance. I do appreciate it. Sincerely.

I'm back from the second appointment this week. The doctor said he's now hearing wheezing in my trachea, not my lungs. He gave me a nebulizer of something which helped briefly, along with a $50 prescription Combivent Respimat inhaler that's going to take time to kick in. He said to take it every 4-6 hours, even if that means setting an alarm and waking up in the middle of the night. Right now, I think that's going to be necessary.

One tiny bit of good news: the Topamax that I'm taking for my back pain is definitely helping me lose weight. I haven't been where I am in years. It caught the attention of the nurse, who asked me if I've been working on my weight. I told her that a side effect of the Topamax is anorexia.

Another couple of good things: the coughing won't interfere with my diagnostic spine procedure next Tuesday, and the cardiac monitor won't interfere with the physical therapy after my spine procedure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dude, get better.  /me wants to know if there is any body part that needs a pentagram or elder sign in The List.  Can't hurt :-)

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Codswallop.

I heard "codswallop" any number of times growing up.  Not exactly commonplace but enough that I got the gist of it as a synonym to "balderdash" or other colorful non-profane contradictory assertions.

What confused me was I heard "cod swallow" and could not make sense of how the one meant the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Dude, get better.  /me wants to know if there is any body part that needs a pentagram or elder sign in The List.  Can't hurt :-)

I don't know ... I'm afraid that if you put any more symbols on my page, it might spontaneously combust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vorlonagent said:

I heard "codswallop" any number of times growing up.  Not exactly commonplace but enough that I got the gist of it as a synonym to "balderdash" or other colorful non-profane contradictory assertions.

What confused me was I heard "cod swallow" and could not make sense of how the one meant the other.

Eh, I saw it the first time in a Harry Potter book and fell instantly in love with it. It is an advantage of English as a second language, you get to pick and choose between all the phrases from all the dialects and compose your very own.

...much like English itself, come to think of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

Eh, I saw it the first time in a Harry Potter book and fell instantly in love with it. It is an advantage of English as a second language, you get to pick and choose between all the phrases from all the dialects and compose your very own.

...much like English itself, come to think of it.

English's great advantage and disadvantage is it is a mongrel language. 

You can be very expressive and individual with it if people can figure out what the frell you're saying...

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mlooney said:

Dude, get better.  /me wants to know if there is any body part that needs a pentagram or elder sign in The List.  Can't hurt :-)

Or elder sign? The dishwasher wants to help? (Or was yours the refrigerator?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Don Edwards said:

Or elder sign? The dishwasher wants to help? (Or was yours the refrigerator?)

The refrigerator is down here. When my coughing woke me up last night, I went and got some soup from it, and I could swear that the thing was breathing. Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Or elder sign? The dishwasher wants to help? (Or was yours the refrigerator?)

 

4 hours ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

The refrigerator is down here. When my coughing woke me up last night, I went and got some soup from it, and I could swear that the thing was breathing. Seriously.

That is less than optimal.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to set my alarm so I can take my new inhaler every 4 hours around the clock. Shortly after my 4:30 a.m. dose, the refrigerator started sending rapid morse code again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

I have to set my alarm so I can take my new inhaler every 4 hours around the clock. Shortly after my 4:30 a.m. dose, the refrigerator started sending rapid morse code again.

Please tell us that the inhaler at least is working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Please tell us that the inhaler at least is working.

It's supposed to take a few days to kick in. I've only had five puffs of it so far (max 6 per 24-hour period). T minus 30 minutes and counting until puff number six.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Puff number six inhaled, 24-hour counter reset. Also had to take a (doctor-approved) hydrocodone tablet, due to me coughing so hard in the shower yesterday that I re-injured the right side of my back.

Ingested soup before taking my morning pills—Cream of Mushroom with Garlic. Helped some, but gave me gas ('twas to be expected). Phazyme softgel taken in revenge.

The Old Hack and mlooney like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ProfessorTomoe said:

Ingested soup before taking my morning pills—Cream of Mushroom with Garlic.

I see you have adopted my habit of thinking that what normal people think about what sort of food something is isn't what you follow.  For example, most people wouldn't eat soup with garlic for breakfast.  Sound great to me.  Might do that soonish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I see you have adopted my habit of thinking that what normal people think about what sort of food something is isn't what you follow.  For example, most people wouldn't eat soup with garlic for breakfast.  Sound great to me.  Might do that soonish.

Screw what other people think. I eat what I feel like when the time feels right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mlooney said:

I see you have adopted my habit of thinking that what normal people think about what sort of food something is isn't what you follow.  For example, most people wouldn't eat soup with garlic for breakfast.  Sound great to me.  Might do that soonish.

 

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Screw what other people think. I eat what I feel like when the time feels right.

My other choice would have been canned tomato bisque. I wasn't going to eat the other stuff Mrs. Prof bought (chicken and white beans? No thank you), so I went with a slightly butter-augmented mushroom/garlic soup from a can. Finished it off at my next puff time.

The Combivent Respimat (Respimat for short—I like it, it sounds like something out of Doctor Who) does indeed loosen things up for a while after administration. I still cough at first until things clear out, then I get a bit of rest from the hacking and wheezing attacks. I'm not complaining yet.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now