• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Ooooh, yeah, the party has officially begun ....

Not until Ashley arrives. At this point, it looks to be a party of seven; no definite sign Susan or Diane are coming. However, I might point out that Elliot and Ellen's car, small as it is, seats four.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not until Ashley arrives. At this point, it looks to be a party of seven; no definite sign Susan or Diane are coming. However, I might point out that Elliot and Ellen's car, small as it is, seats four.

Noteworthy, Sarah and Justin are already there, no sign of Luke nor Sam. So it looks like it's not going to extend beyond Ashley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

jacket or a vest. 

Since you're in Florida, which is technically in the same country as California, we probably think of a vest as a sleeveless outer garment. A Brit would call this a "waistcoat" and pronounce it as "weskit". A "vest" would be underwear, often for a girl.

We might see Dan work with Britspeak after Van shows up again.

I cut down trees, I wear high heels
Suspendies and a bra

--The Lumberjack Song

"Suspendies" or "suspenders" are garters in Britain. A gentleman holds up his trousers with braces, thank you very much.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, I might point out that Elliot and Ellen's car, small as it is, seats four.

I'm pretty sure they could get 3 in the back seat. But it's obvious now they weren't picking up Nanase (which I thought they might do which would give Ellen more reason to want to take the back seat aside from "your girlfriend can sit up front with you."  That means Justin probably picked up Nanase, if Susan does come to the party, she does have her own car and I can see her pleasantly surprising everyone.

 

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Noteworthy, Sarah and Justin are already there, no sign of Luke nor Sam. So it looks like it's not going to extend beyond Ashley.

I wasn't expecting Sam or Luke to show up anyway because they wouldn't be cleared by Edward, and I don't think Sam would be eager to attend a party at a house who's owner does background checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Not until Ashley arrives. At this point, it looks to be a party of seven; no definite sign Susan or Diane are coming. However, I might point out that Elliot and Ellen's car, small as it is, seats four.

Noteworthy, Sarah and Justin are already there, no sign of Luke nor Sam. So it looks like it's not going to extend beyond Ashley.

Already there: Grace, Sarah, Nanase, Justin ; In car: Elliot, Ellen, Ashley. Not sure where Tedd is, but he will definitely be there, so I'm counting eight.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Justin and Sarah

I can almost imagine them choosing between cliché personality traits for the day the way the rest of us might chose between wearing a jacket or a vest. 

... Elliot has a spell for that :)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm pretty sure they could get 3 in the back seat.

Question is if there are three seatbelts in back. BTW, Ashley doesn't have seatbelt yet ... I hope they are still staying.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Noteworthy, Sarah and Justin are already there, no sign of Luke nor Sam. So it looks like it's not going to extend beyond Ashley.

I wasn't expecting Sam or Luke to show up anyway because they wouldn't be cleared by Edward, and I don't think Sam would be eager to attend a party at a house who's owner does background checks.

I'm not sure Luke would either. In fact, I'm not sure they told Ashley ... of course, HER check likely happened before Sister 3.

(That might be interesting conversation ... Elliot: "Wait, you didn't do background check on Ashley did you?" ; Edward: "Let's change topic.")

... actually, it's get funny thinking about when the background checks happened. Like, when Edward did background check on Susan? We KNOW he did, but what tipped him it might be necessary? The fact she seemed to be getting better with Jeremy?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I cut down trees, I wear high heels

 

Suspendies and a bra

--The Lumberjack Song

Canuckistani, I believe. (In spite of the source.)

 

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Suspendies" or "suspenders" are garters in Britain. A gentleman holds up his trousers with braces, thank you very much.

Much of the world has belt technology.

 

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wasn't expecting Sam or Luke to show up anyway because they wouldn't be cleared by Edward, and I don't think Sam would be eager to attend a party at a house who's owner does background checks.

If Sarah informed him.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I wasn't expecting Sam or Luke to show up anyway because they wouldn't be cleared by Edward, and I don't think Sam would be eager to attend a party at a house who's owner does background checks.

If Sarah informed him.

It's not like NOT attending the party would save him ; I mean, Sarah might not realize it, but I think his background check is already in progress. Just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

Question is if there are three seatbelts in back. BTW, Ashley doesn't have seatbelt yet ... I hope they are still staying.

Most cars I've been in have had enough seatbelts for 3 in the back, the two side ones typically went over the shoulder like in the front driver and passenger seats, and the middle was just a lap belt.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure they told Ashley ... of course, HER check likely happened before Sister 3.

It probably happened after the mall incident with the griffons, at the very least, Arthur might have done one himself while he was deciding whether or not to let Ashley have Kevin.

Just now, hkmaly said:

(That might be interesting conversation ... Elliot: "Wait, you didn't do background check on Ashley did you?" ; Edward: "Let's change topic.")

I'm pretty sure Elliot expects background checks for anyone that could possibly wind up becoming friends with Tedd, Ashley would fall under that by being Elliot's girlfriend.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... actually, it's get funny thinking about when the background checks happened. Like, when Edward did background check on Susan? We KNOW he did, but what tipped him it might be necessary? The fact she seemed to be getting better with Jeremy?

I'm still expecting the shoe that states that Edward's known Susan's parents for a while to drop, and that as far as he was concerned, Susan was good. But maybe he knew about Susan from her experience with Nanase during the France trip.

 

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Canuckistani, I believe. (In spite of the source.)

Can confirm. ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Canuckistani, I believe. (In spite of the source.)

Michael Palin does a lot of travel shows, and one of them he went to British Columbia to a lumberjack jamboree. A quote: "I sang a song about a lumberjack..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

It's not like NOT attending the party would save him ; I mean, Sarah might not realize it, but I think his background check is already in progress. Just in case.

I dunno if Edward is aware of Sam yet, Sarah hasn't mentioned Sam while Edward was around, and I still don't believe Edward's got the house rigged to eavesdrop on everything Tedd and his friends do there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Question is if there are three seatbelts in back.

I believe that's still the norm in our world, at least. I've been in cars where the middle rear seat was distinctly uncomfortable, but they had a third belt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Scotty said:

(background checks) ... Arthur might have done one himself while he was deciding whether or not to let Ashley have Kevin.

Arthur might have done a cursory check of available data; a real background check takes a while and involves interviewing people that know you.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Question is if there are three seatbelts in back. BTW, Ashley doesn't have seatbelt yet ... I hope they are still staying.

Most cars I've been in have had enough seatbelts for 3 in the back, the two side ones typically went over the shoulder like in the front driver and passenger seats, and the middle was just a lap belt.

I have same experience, but I'm not going to make assumption about american cars based on european ones.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

(That might be interesting conversation ... Elliot: "Wait, you didn't do background check on Ashley did you?" ; Edward: "Let's change topic.")

I'm pretty sure Elliot expects background checks for anyone that could possibly wind up becoming friends with Tedd, Ashley would fall under that by being Elliot's girlfriend.

Forgot that bit. Yeah, seems Elliot is already aware. Possibly his belief in law enforcement prevented him from realizing some people might not like that.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... actually, it's get funny thinking about when the background checks happened. Like, when Edward did background check on Susan? We KNOW he did, but what tipped him it might be necessary? The fact she seemed to be getting better with Jeremy?

I'm still expecting the shoe that states that Edward's known Susan's parents for a while to drop, and that as far as he was concerned, Susan was good. But maybe he knew about Susan from her experience with Nanase during the France trip.

... right. Just because they tried to keep it secret and neither got counseling doesn't mean Edward didn't found out what happened.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's not like NOT attending the party would save him ; I mean, Sarah might not realize it, but I think his background check is already in progress. Just in case.

I dunno if Edward is aware of Sam yet, Sarah hasn't mentioned Sam while Edward was around, and I still don't believe Edward's got the house rigged to eavesdrop on everything Tedd and his friends do there.

I do. And Sarah suspect it as well. Although she didn't realized Edward can read the phones as well ...

... come on. Sure the main eight are trying to keep stuff secret from him, but they aren't any better at it than Nanase when she was hiding her magic from her mother, and we know how well THAT worked. And she's not even secret agent! Or at least not active one. As far as we know.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

(background checks) ... Arthur might have done one himself while he was deciding whether or not to let Ashley have Kevin.

Arthur might have done a cursory check of available data; a real background check takes a while and involves interviewing people that know you.

They MIGHT somehow sidestep the need of interviews but it will definitely takes some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

I have same experience, but I'm not going to make assumption about american cars based on european ones.

I think the only visible difference between American and Canadian cars is what's shown on the dashboard, miles vs kilometers.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I do. And Sarah suspect it as well. Although she didn't realized Edward can read the phones as well ...

Edward's home, so of course Sarah wouldn't want to talk about her spell with him around, that's not proof towards the house being bugged, also if Edward really does have the phones bugged, why hasn't he confronted them about that message? The only time I can recall seeing any mention of phones being bugged has been when Tedd called Elliot when Grace first showed up and it was Edward being paranoid that Elliot's phone was bugged by someone else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Since you're in Florida, which is technically in the same country as California...

Country?  From what I can tell, both California and Florida have only the most tenuous connection to what reasonable human beings call "Reality".

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Country?  From what I can tell, both California and Florida have only the most tenuous connection to what most reasonable human beings call "Reality".

You may have sharks on light rail, but we have militant nudists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I think the only visible difference between American and Canadian cars is what's shown on the dashboard, miles vs kilometers.

 

Back in the day, US cars were made for the US market with miles only, iirc. I haven't seen that for years, most are dual marked. I imagine they are still produced with a local primary marking for sale.

I have (rarely) seen signs in the US marked also in km to: or kmph. I imagine that is more common close to borders.

 

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Country?  From what I can tell, both California and Florida have only the most tenuous connection to what reasonable human beings call "Reality".

It's a different tenuous connection. I wouldn't call the attitudes similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I do. And Sarah suspect it as well. Although she didn't realized Edward can read the phones as well ...

Edward's home, so of course Sarah wouldn't want to talk about her spell with him around, that's not proof towards the house being bugged, also if Edward really does have the phones bugged, why hasn't he confronted them about that message? The only time I can recall seeing any mention of phones being bugged has been when Tedd called Elliot when Grace first showed up and it was Edward being paranoid that Elliot's phone was bugged by someone else.

Because he doesn't want to attract attention to the fact he has them bugged until it will be more worth it?

And yes I remember that mention. And I also remember lot of later cases when they discussed secret stuff on their smartphones completely freely, even WITH Edward.

My theory for that is that Edward obtained and gave the main cast special phones which can't be bugged by anyone else. Same phones the DGB agents themselves are using, probably.

Also, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. At least not in clinical sense, although I saw it being called "professional paranoia". Edward is professional and has good reason for his suspicion.

(Reminds me the joke: "How do we know Saddam has weapons of mass destruction? We looked at the receipt.")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figure that the teens avoid discussing things on their phones which they want to avoid Edward and Arthur from learning about (e.g. Pandora, Sam), but are fine with using the phones for stuff that is "secret but not something they want to keep from Edward", like talking about their magic that Edward already knows about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two panels reminded me of a scene from Moana....

"Are you just trying to get me to talk about myself? Because if you are.... I will gladly do so! In song form!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 3:57 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Since you're in Florida, which is technically in the same country as California, we probably think of a vest as a sleeveless outer garment. A Brit would call this a "waistcoat" and pronounce it as "weskit". A "vest" would be underwear, often for a girl.

"Suspendies" or "suspenders" are garters in Britain. A gentleman holds up his trousers with braces, thank you very much.

Yes, and in America "braces" are what goes on your teeth to straighten them, which is called just a "brace" in Britain, which would be something you put on a weak leg to help it hold your weight in America....

On 7/31/2019 at 3:57 PM, Tom Sewell said:

We might see Dan work with Britspeak after Van shows up again.

Hmm, true.  Might be cute or might be annoying, depending how it's handled and how often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this