• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Monday November 11, 2019

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If there is no memory, knowledge, or other advantage transferred from previous to current life, then reincarnation remains an abstract concept and not a useful ability

I am not sure I agree with that.

I think it might as well be a Dadaist concept.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I am not sure I agree with that.

I think it might as well be a Dadaist concept.

Why is there a Dadaist movement, but no Mamaist movement? (The article proposes an answer.)

Dada Artist: "I'm going to glue crap on other crap, and it's "Art" because I am an "Artist". If you glue crap on other crap, it's just stupid, because you're not an "Artist".

Critic: "Or maybe you're just too stupid to know you're stupid?"

I have to say I have more respect for someone who rejects modern materialism by farming old school or hand looming quilts than for someone who sticks flowers in a urinal and puts it in a gallery. I suppose it could be considered brilliant marketing, or the ultimate con.

Have I an inn? Have I a farming school? A urinal gallery? Material for flower sticks? Some old quilts looming at hand? Respect one, then; I could be considered brilliant, I suppose, marketing the ultimate con.

1 minute ago, The Old Hack said:

Everyone: "NOBODY CARES!"
(Everyone's a critic.)

No one cares that nobody cares.

So they held a Mass. Everyone came. Then it was a critical Mass.

Oh the deconstruction! The Mass hysteria!

"No bodies! Scares!"

"Luke, I am your Dada!"

"Noooo!"

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
On 11/24/2019 at 0:20 AM, hkmaly said:

Assuming, of course, that you REMEMBER your previous lives.

If there is no memory, knowledge, or other advantage transferred from previous to current life, then reincarnation remains an abstract concept and not a useful ability

Well, just because it's not useful as ability doesn't mean it's abstract. Obviously, what DOES transfer is the soul. (Not the music.)

Now, if you don't believe in existence of soul, or more specifically if you believe there is no part of you which wouldn't be encoded in physical connection of neurons, then you can't even describe what reincarnation IS.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Everyone: "NOBODY CARES!"

"What's worse: ignorance or apathy?" -  "I don't know and I don't care."

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Now, if you don't believe in existence of soul, or more specifically if you believe there is no part of you which wouldn't be encoded in physical connection of neurons, then you can't even describe what reincarnation IS.

I would say "soul" is an emergent self identity on the meatware. If it has existence beyond the host meatbot, then there must be an external agent hosting it in that state, it doesn't seem that it would self support any more than any other software would.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I would say "soul" is an emergent self identity on the meatware. If it has existence beyond the host meatbot, then there must be an external agent hosting it in that state, it doesn't seem that it would self support any more than any other software would.

Maybe a sort of spiritual Internet? The Astralnet? <scratches head>

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

But we do not know the question!

(Bloody Vogons)

... the computer was already compromised by all those useless people who crashed on the planet before.

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
On 11/25/2019 at 0:43 AM, hkmaly said:

Now, IF soul is just software, what would prevent copying it to another hardware? Which is what reincarnation IS, effectively. Except that it leaves the issue of how the copying itself happens ... on the other hand, losing much of memories in the process is suddenly completely believable: it was because the copying was transferring the data over unreliable medium.

(Meanwhile, copying state of neural net is actually quite complicated. Computer software and DNA are designed for easy copying. Brains aren't.)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Now, IF soul is just software, what would prevent copying it to another hardware? Which is what reincarnation IS, effectively. Except that it leaves the issue of how the copying itself happens ... on the other hand, losing much of memories in the process is suddenly completely believable: it was because the copying was transferring the data over unreliable medium.

(Meanwhile, copying state of neural net is actually quite complicated. Computer software and DNA are designed for easy copying. Brains aren't.)

It does copy itself, after a fashion. With our limited form of telepathy, know as "communication" we pass along ideas, lessons for our young folks. We also communicate by example, and sometimes make a more or less permanent record. Thus memetic entities take on a life of their own and compete in their meme space, as this very forum has often demonstrated. Oh, wait, we're doing it now.

20 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It does copy itself, after a fashion. With our limited form of telepathy, know as "communication" we pass along ideas, lessons for our young folks. We also communicate by example, and sometimes make a more or less permanent record. Thus memetic entities take on a life of their own and compete in their meme space, as this very forum has often demonstrated. Oh, wait, we're doing it now.

If copying state of neural net wouldn't be so complicated, I wouldn't need to remind that I said "complicated" not "impossible".

It's both slow and imprecise, with lot of errors happening on way. Well, usually ; it's true memes tend to be quite resistant in this regard.

12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It's both slow and imprecise, with lot of errors happening on way. Well, usually ; it's true memes tend to be quite resistant in this regard.

That's because most memes are themselves errors that are incredibly resilient and are often only stopped by being displaced by a faster spreading meme

34 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
49 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That's because most memes are themselves errors that are incredibly resilient and are often only stopped by being displaced by a faster spreading meme

Most memes are stopped when people start assuming everyone heard that one so many times it stopped being funny ... which, eventually, stops being true.