• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

Well it's saying that we have a thunderstorm and it will last 91 minutes, (yes it claims that level of accuracy) AND we get more this afternoon and tonight!  The weather service alert says eastern Tulsa.  For as far south as I am, I'm about as far west as you can get in the populated parts of town.  Granted I am just getting a light rain and the thunderstorm seem to be active more to the east.

It still breaks my brain to think of any weather other than burning, searing, spontaneously-catch-fire-from-the-heat occurring during summer time.

13 minutes ago, ijuin said:

It still breaks my brain to think of any weather other than burning, searing, spontaneously-catch-fire-from-the-heat occurring during summer time.

Oh, we get that also.  Normally starting in the last 2 weeks of July and running to the end of August.  Oklahoma does hold the record for the hottest month ever recorded in the US after all.  July, 2011

More like May till early October here...then again, this is the state that contains a place called Death Valley, renowned for the hottest weather ever recorded on Earth.

Not even going to try edit mode.

Doing a little link following, it seems our 2011 record for the hottest state record beat the old record set in 1954, by, ah Oklahoma.

Keep in mind these records are based on daily average temperature, not highest day time temperature.  Even though it did break 110 for several days running in July 2011 here in Tulsa, which is in the cooler part of the state.

Seems like any place people go to get away from one or more seasons, will make them pay dearly.  Move where there's no real winter, and you swelter in summer far longer and hotter.  Go where it never breaks 85°F, and you get mountains of snow and/or bitter cold.  Go to Seattle to avoid both real winter and real summer, and you get dull depressing drizzles.

Go to San Diego, where the weather is darn near perfect (as long as no one's screwing with the boundaries of science), and you get fires and earthquakes.

54 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Go to San Diego, where the weather is darn near perfect (as long as no one's screwing with the boundaries of science), and you get fires and earthquakes.

And worst of all: San Diego Con. :danshiftyeyes:

AccuWeather is predicting rain in 23 minutes, unless you believe the headline, which says we have a light rain right now.
87°

Still claiming another thunderstorm this evening.

I am going to see if I can find a better weather application for Android. And I found one. The Weather Channel had one that works with out GPS, which is new, I think. Also the base station it's using for my location via wifi is almost within stone throwing distance. Would be in line of sight if I was on the west side of the building and about 100 trees were not in the way. It also says thunderstorms tonight and for the weekend. 60% tonight, 40% for the weekend.

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

And worst of all: San Diego Con. :danshiftyeyes:

I have a few fond memories of ComicCon.  A bunch of us from a particular fandom got together in 2001 to go as a group.  Now, most of the best memories related more to the fact that the show in question was produced in San Diego, and what was originally a little pre-con set tour slowly expanded to include seeing sets, props, and scripts not yet aired; meeting the entire cast and crew for a few minutes; hanging out in the show's mad scientist's lab; getting to see part of an episode filming; and finally being asked to join everyone for a good hour at Craft Services for some quite yummy food and conversation with cast and crew.  ComicCon itself played host to our show's autograph line expanding from one to four hours and snaking through half the exhibit hall, getting to meet the writer of many of my favorite episodes and getting one of my scripts signed with what he said was his first autograph, and an excellent Q&A panel with, again, the show's entire cast and much of its important crew.

That said, in 2001 ComicCon was big.  I'd been to GenCon many times in Milwaukee, so it wasn't completely new to me, but it did seem like things were too far apart and too long a line for everything, too big a crowd trying to get in to top panels.  I only enjoyed it because I didn't come in with any specific expectations beyond the one show.  I probably spent more time in the dealers' room than at panels, and enjoyed doing so.  After fifteen years further growth, it sounds like ComicCon has gotten far, far too big, and likely disappoints far too many people who had their hearts set on particular events which they couldn't get into.

Right now, I think it would be great to go to Dragon*Con, which sounds like it's getting close to being too big but isn't there yet.  I kinda feel pressure to go see it soon, before it does cross that threshhold, but so far trying to get a hotel room and/or roommates, tickets, etc. and get the right time off has not all come together at once.  Maybe the proverbial next year?

San Diego Comic Con gets like 120-150k people. Anybody here care to try Comiket, in Tokyo, which gets over half a million? The    dealer space alone fills four buildings the size of airliner hangers, covering more than ten hectares indoors.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

I probably have Stockholm Syndrome with respect to California government.

I have Copenhagen Syndrome with respect to the Danish Parliament.

It manifests itself in an urge to purchase a gasoline-powered chainsaw and charge inside while Parliament is in session, and not stop while anything in there is still moving. So far, I have been able to keep this urge in check. Barely.

46 minutes ago, mlooney said:

83° F

Yay!  No more thunderstorms predicted for at least a week!

Boo! Going to break 100° F most of next week.

Does the forecast mention the likelihood of Elder Gods appearing to devour the countryside?

8 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Nope.  And that's a good thing!

I was about to comment on forecast services omitting essential information, but thinking more closely about it, I am compelled to agree. :icon_eek:

(This reminds me of a horrible forecast I once saw in a Danish tech magazine. It featured a bugged forecast page which had placed a nonexistent extra day between Sunday and Monday. According to the forecast, this hypothetical day featured weather such as a constant temperature of 99 degrees Celsius throughout the day (210 degrees Fahrenheit) and an average windspeed of 999 meters/second (1092 yards/second). Near as I could figure out, if that day had actually happened, there would be nothing manmade left standing atop Danish soil afterwards. Possibly buried nuclear bunkers might survive it -- I don't know if we have any of these.)

On 7/22/2016 at 5:56 PM, Scotty said:

A few clouds

A few clouds

32°C

Feels like 40

Blarg.

We were in Glasgow, Scotland one summer when the heat in Chicago was literally killing people (mostly elderly, infirm people with no access to air-conditioning), a Scotsman who was complaining about the 32 °C temperature asked me about how hot it was back home. When I said 40 °C  (104 °F), he exclaimed, "I finally understand why Americans always want ice in their drinks!"

2 minutes ago, Amiable Dorsai said:

We were in Glasgow, Scotland one summer when the heat in Chicago was literally killing people (mostly elderly, infirm people with no access to air-conditioning), a Scotsman who was complaining about the 32 °C temperature asked me about how hot it was back home. When I said 40 °C  (104 °F), he exclaimed, "I finally understand why Americans always want ice in their drinks!"

I've had some Americans comment when I mention being in Canada that it must be nice being somewhere cooler. Southwestern Ontario can be pretty darned hot and comparable to many southern states in the summer, we got the great lakes that, when you have a system come across lake Huron, makes things really humid and sticky. There are days when it'd be preferable to be in Arizona because at least it's a dry heat over there.

Just to remind every one, Oklahoma holds the record for hottest average temperature for a calendar month, and has held it from 1954 (with a reset on the number is 2011).  And we don't, repeat DO NOT, have a dry heat.

Tulsa, OK as of 11:05 am CDT

86°

Partly Cloudy

feels like 95°

H 90° / L 75°

Wind NNE 13 mph

Humidity 67%

Dew Point 74°

Pressure 30.01 in

Visibility10.0 mi

UV Index 5 of 10

Compared to Thursday through Saturday, it is sweater weather.

11 hours ago, mlooney said:

Just to remind every one, Oklahoma holds the record for hottest average temperature for a calendar month, and has held it from 1954 (with a reset on the number is 2011).  And we don't, repeat DO NOT, have a dry heat.

It's all these Elder Gods. Typically they come from nightmarish dark tropical hothouse worlds so they raise the humidity so they can feel more at home.

In the wintertime, of course, you mostly have to worry about Mi-Go.

90°
Cloudy
feels like 100°
H - L 75°
Partly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low around 75F. Winds light and variable.

Possible, my ass, I can hear it right now.  Please, just don't let the power blink until my compile is done.

I have got to get a UPS, and don't mean guys in brown.

Mostly cloudy, 88F coming off a high of 93, 37% humidity and effectively no wind.

No rain likely thank the gods.

What are you compiling?