• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

22 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

Specifically he sensed something that was highly unnatural. There are likely to be other beings that have such an unnatural signature, but it would surely help to narrow down potential targets. That with cross-referencing and other legwork would help confirm whether or not a given target is an elf. Not with 100% certainty without something like a direct confrontation or getting really lucky, but likely close enough to move forward in maneuvering. Elves are likely rare, so it would take a lot of money and time to find one to take, but if the body snatcher wants an extremely long-lived and powerful host, the cost would certainly be worth it.

Sounds like a pretty complicated, high-risk, low-yield endeavor.  Sirleck was having a hard enough time finding a regular human host to transfer his ill-gotten gains to and take over.  Seeking out an elf to possess would likely be too difficult to be worth it.  Having the identity of an elf handed to him on a silver platter, right at a time when he is in need of a new host, on the other hand, well, that would be awfully tempting.

22 minutes ago, Drasvin said:

There is also the fact that the elf's immortal parents might keep an eye on their progeny. Pandora certainly does, and while she's not the best example of normal immortal behavior, it shows that such an emotional attachment is possible. Maybe such an emotional attachment is the norm among immortals that make half-mortal children, and Sirleck hopes to use that to further distract Helena and Demetrius from Elliot to give Magus a chance to do the thing he needs to do so Sirleck can steal Magus's body.

Yes, but most Immortals reset every couple of hundred years.  That close emotional tie would be replaced with a more academic knowledge that this person is technically their offspring.  I suspect that Pandora keeps a much closer eye on Adrian than most Immortal parents do by the time they're a few hundred years old.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

We're not even sure if Sirleck can possess Adrian, his Immortal side could make him immune to possessions by bodysnatchers, either that or Adrian is able to sense aberrations nearby and has the same desire to destroy them as Immortals do

Well, sure, we're not sure that Adrian doesn't spend his weekends doing Elfquest cosplay, either.  You can speculate all sorts of things into existence.  Has there been any indication in-comic that elves can resist or sense body-snatchers?

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

and because Sirleck's an aberration, Adrian shouldn't be bound by his restrictions.

That's quite true, and the self-defense clause would also come into play.

1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

Well, sure, we're not sure that Adrian doesn't spend his weekends doing Elfquest cosplay, either.  You can speculate all sorts of things into existence.  Has there been any indication in-comic that elves can resist or sense body-snatchers?

No, but by that same logic, we shouldn't assume that Sirleck just decided that he wants to possess Adrian.

3 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

...I can almost imagine him doing that...almost.

He would likely be able to sense body-snatchers if he's in his elven form, as he has stated his magic senses are sharper in that form (His ears can taste magic). In his old man form, it's more debatable. His passive magic sense in that form is sharp enough to know when an immortal is impersonating Agent Wolf, due to the fact that Wolf is one of the most powerful wizards in the mid-western United States and immortal magic cannot be sensed at all. So he might be able to sense Sirleck, but maybe not well enough to identify the threat.

17 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

14 minutes ago, Scotty said:

No, but by that same logic, we shouldn't assume that Sirleck just decided that he wants to possess Adrian.

I wasn't assuming, I was speculating.  Just seemed like everyone was ganging up on what I'd thought was a pretty cool speculation.  Besides, once it occurred to me, I just couldn't resist sharing the mental image of young-looking Elf Adrian wearing low-slung breeches, riding a wolf and weilding a crescent moon short-sword with a feral grin on his face. ;-)

42 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I wasn't assuming, I was speculating.  Just seemed like everyone was ganging up on what I'd thought was a pretty cool speculation.  Besides, once it occurred to me, I just couldn't resist sharing the mental image of young-looking Elf Adrian wearing low-slung breeches, riding a wolf and weilding a crescent moon short-sword with a feral grin on his face. ;-)

Everyone tearing to tear apart the speculation is likely out of fear or something similar. At least I know I'm concerned of what would happen if Sirleck managed to get ahold of Adrian. Mr. Raven is one of the lifelines for the main group if things start to go sour. Losing him has dire prospects for down the road. There's been no mention of how easy or difficult it would be to remove a body snatcher from a host that isn't brain dead. It could be possible that the only way to separate them without harming the host would be to convince the snatcher to detach. Hopefully it wouldn't be that dire, but I can certainly see that as a desirable quality that a body snatcher would cultivate in order to discourage those that would seek to destroy them. 

Also if anything happened to Adrian, Pandora would flip. Her son appears to be the only tenuous link of morality she has left. If something happens to him, what's going to stop her from going on a rampage and destroying as much stuff as she can before the other immortals manage to wrestle her down? Of course, even if Sirleck isn't planning on possessing Adrian, whatever he does is likely to anger Pandora, and she can throw some massive tantrums.

Edited by Drasvin

51 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I didn't mean you specifically, it's just that it seemed like a bunch of people had jumped on the idea that Sirleck now wants to possess Adrian that I felt the need to point out that we don't know if it's possible.

I still thinks it's more likely that Sirleck would think that Adrian could be used as bait to distract Helena and Demetrius, which is very likely what Voltaire expects.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If that's the train of thought here than we also shouldn't assume he plans to posses Magus. Yeah, he might not try, but without some exposition stating why he won't than it's pretty darn likely.

But there's more motivation for Sirleck to possess Magus, Magus essentially gave Sirleck an open invitation for possession by stating that he's a nobody in this world, there'd be no friends or family to suspect that something is wrong with Magus, and Sirleck would probably be able to get away with a lot before government agencies started taking notice. Attempting to possess Adrian would likely attract Pandora's attention almost immediately , at the very least she'll notice the next time she goes to check on Adrian. It'd be way too risky to do.

I think there's two very interesting points to note about what Voltaire told Sirleck:

1) He implied that Adrian Raven is the son of either Helena or Demetrius, both of whom have reset recently. But the way he phrased it makes me wonder if Sirleck would know about Pandora loosely watching Elliot as well. If he doesn't know she is, he could be in for a very big shock. 

2) He says Adrian isn't a kid, but that could imply any age from 18 on up, and for some, "teen" (meaning 13+) counts as "not a kid." Given society's current tendency to google various things (including teachers), if Sirleck googles Raven's name and finds out he's (apparently) a human somewhere in his 50's-60's, would he lose interest, or still pay Mr Raven a visit at some point? 

For that latter, since Sirleck didn't know half-immortals were possible until just now, would he even know to assume Mr Raven is a wizard/can use magic? We can always go, "pft, he's half immortal, he has to have magic powers!", but look at Tedd! 

And now I have to wonder just what Mr Raven can do, if Sirleck chooses to seek him out/take him over. We have no idea whether Mr Raven's aura would give away his heritage (he could always play dumb if Sirleck questions him), or even if Sirleck can see auras. For that matter, would Sirleck be able to tell Mr Raven is using a transformation spell to look old? Or would Mr Raven notice Sirleck and not just the old man sitlecks possessing? 

Hmmm....

6 hours ago, LivewareProblem said:

I dunno if this is meant to be a specific scheme. It seems more like he's stirring the pot so to speak. Promoting some chaos, setting people on a collision course to keep them off balance, which might yield something constructive for his goals but will also turn attentions away from him.

^^ This is why my own personal nickname for Voltaire is "Mr. Gaunt".

19 hours ago, partner555 said:

He's POSING as Abner now!? This might unfairly make Abner a target.

You think it's fair for Adrian Raven? Although he can at least defend better.

19 hours ago, liontari said:

Can Immortals harm each other in some way? I'm just wondering what it would look like if Pandora found out about Voltaire and unleashed her full rage upon him. She can be pretty scary (in her chaos form, scarier than anyone else in EGS except for maybe Vlad, IMO), but Voltaire is immortal too, and we don't know his age or power.

I'm sure there are rules against them harming each other DIRECTLY. I'm also sure Pandora is MUCH better at finding loopholes than Voltaire. So, if she stops her rage and decides to take revenge on him properly he will lose. Now, WILL she be able to contain her rage? ... well, if he's not near, then likely yes.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Meh. I think the Colonel is busy outsmarting himself again. He has a very high opinion of his own ability as a manipulator, and as we've already seen, he might do well initially but his schemes may easily fall apart on him in the crunch.

Yeah, his plan is destined to fail mainly because I don't think Dan would kill off a main character. The riots that ensue would rival those of hockey fans after their team either wins or loses the Stanley Cup.

Killing Elliot might NOT be part of his plan anymore. Killing Elliot was the SIMPLE way.

Regarding Dan killing someone ... Dan didn't even wanted to kill DAMIEN. This comics is extremely low on deaths. I don't think he would kill Adrian Raven.

11 hours ago, Drasvin said:

I doubt that Sirleck would be trying to possess Mr Raven. Magus isn't just a powerful wizard, but one that is virtually unknown to the world. While Raven might be a powerful wizard with an incredibly long life span (and there have been hints that elves can be killed and will stay dead if so), he also has a fairly integrated life as a teacher, both of history and of magic. Also I get the feeling that possessing a half-immortal would be unwise in general, because otherwise, why not seek out a half-immortal to take before now?

I'm sure Mr. Raven can resist the possession attempt and is likely stronger than Sirleck. Of course, there is a possibility Sirleck can take him when weakened or something ... but it will be still extremely stupid of him to try, as mentioned.

1 hour ago, Kazzellin said:

1) He implied that Adrian Raven is the son of either Helena or Demetrius, both of whom have reset recently. But the way he phrased it makes me wonder if Sirleck would know about Pandora loosely watching Elliot as well. If he doesn't know she is, he could be in for a very big shock. 

2) He says Adrian isn't a kid, but that could imply any age from 18 on up, and for some, "teen" (meaning 13+) counts as "not a kid." Given society's current tendency to google various things (including teachers), if Sirleck googles Raven's name and finds out he's (apparently) a human somewhere in his 50's-60's, would he lose interest, or still pay Mr Raven a visit at some point? 

Note that considering Helena and Demetrius reset very recently, Adrian would certainly be their kid from BEFORE the reset, which could limit his usefulness as distraction ...

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Regarding Dan killing someone ... Dan didn't even wanted to kill DAMIEN. This comics is extremely low on deaths. I don't think he would kill Adrian Raven.

Dan originally wrote Damien getting away, but then felt it didn't make sense for Damien to keep coming back to torment Grace in another Painted Black story.

10 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

True, elves likely don't advertise their heritage, but they can be sensed by mortal magic. So all it would take is to find a capable paranormal detective with loose morals and a lot of time to comb the country for one. Given, if they are targets for monster hunters or such, then that would make for unsavory hosts.

Hmm, he can sense there's *something* there, but he was still surprised by Adrian being an elf later on.  So if you went looking for  an elf by such means, you might have to sort through who-knows-how-many other creatures of various sorts.

We don't even know that what Abraham sensed was Raven. After all, Raven is human/immortal; both have been on this planet for a long time, and obviously are capable of interbreeding. On the other hand, humans are not normally capable of interbreeding with squirrels, and uryuom and lespuko are apparently more recent arrivals than Abraham; so by his standards Grace is far more unnatural than Raven or Ellen.

10 hours ago, Drasvin said:

Also the immortal restrictions would likely still apply even with a vampire/aberration possessing the elf, so the body snatcher would have to really toe the line to avoid bringing a good portion of the immortal community down on his head.

An aberration has far more to worry about just for being an aberration than an elf does about restrictions on what he/she is allowed to do.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

But there's more motivation for Sirleck to possess Magus, Magus essentially gave Sirleck an open invitation for possession by stating that he's a nobody in this world, there'd be no friends or family to suspect that something is wrong with Magus, and Sirleck would probably be able to get away with a lot before government agencies started taking notice. Attempting to possess Adrian would likely attract Pandora's attention almost immediately , at the very least she'll notice the next time she goes to check on Adrian. It'd be way too risky to do.

Not to mention that Raven is a wizard, known to the government to be a wizard, and routinely in contact with several other magic-users.

5 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

For that latter, since Sirleck didn't know half-immortals were possible until just now

What do you base that statement on? I don't see anything that clearly points either way on whether Sirleck was aware that elves are possible.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

We don't even know that what Abraham sensed was Raven. After all, Raven is human/immortal; both have been on this planet for a long time, and obviously are capable of interbreeding. On the other hand, humans are not normally capable of interbreeding with squirrels, and uryuom and lespuko are apparently more recent arrivals than Abraham; so by his standards Grace is far more unnatural than Raven or Ellen.

When Adrian revealed that he was half immortal, Abraham exclaimed that Adrian was the one he sensed earlier. We know Immortals can hide their power, we saw it when Edward, Wolf and Cranium encountered Pandora in the woods, and then later when Adrian was in the hospital he stated that an "Immortal whose power can't be sense wishing to trick someone who could sense magic potency would be wise to not disguise themself as one of the most powerful wizards in the mid-western US", this would suggest that Adrian isn't capable of hiding his power despite being half Immortal. However Adrian does have a pretty good sense of "taste" when it comes to detecting magic, so I'm willing to bet that Sirleck gives off a rather spicy magic taste that Adrian would pick up on pretty easily.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
13 hours ago, Kazzellin said:

For that latter, since Sirleck didn't know half-immortals were possible until just now

What do you base that statement on? I don't see anything that clearly points either way on whether Sirleck was aware that elves are possible.

I think he does know that half Immortals are possible, we don't know how old Sirleck is but it's possible he either met one before or heard about them.

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that considering Helena and Demetrius reset very recently, Adrian would certainly be their kid from BEFORE the reset, which could limit his usefulness as distraction ...

He would not be their kid at all; for one, then he would probably be an immortal as well. For another, didn't Dan mention somewhere that they're siblings? Granted, incest is best kept in the family, but still. ;) Regardless of that split hair, Helena and Demetrius reset barely 4 years ago; if any kid one of them would have would be considered an adult, then Sirleck could expect Mr Raven to be as old as 22, at most (depending on what state they lived in; I think there's a few of the southern states where age of majority is 15? Never had reason to really look in to it.). Also, he would be one memory removed, so they could still have a vested interest in him. After 3+ resets, I could see an immortal loosing interest in a half-breed they created (assuming there was interest in the first place, that is).

18 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I'm primarily basing the assumption in Sirleck's apparent level of surprise at the revelation. We have no idea how old either of these people are, exactly (Raven is "centuries," but that's not terribly specific), nor do we know how common the idea of half-immortals are. It's entirely possible Sirleck didn't know their existing be was even a possibility. *shrug*

-----

Wild speculation time! :D

The main eight (+/- Diane and Ashley) go to Mr Raven's home to ask him a question, and before he answers the door Ellen decides to zap Susan with mv(#?) because Susan didn't want to participate in its creation (and because she can). Susan gets angry and starts to leave to wait for the form to wear off, as he would rather be in his normal form and doesn't have the watch Tedd made for him with him, but before everyone else can respond, Sirleck shows up, assumes Susan is Mr Raven based on appearances (she does have those "Vulcan like ears," after all), takes him over, and leaves, causing the rest to have to hunt for both of them (possibly with Mr Raven's assistance).

Yeah, probably not going to happen, but it would be interesting to see how it would play out, and it would also potentially be very amusing. ;) 

And even if he's surprised, it doesn't mean he's surprised at the *possibility*. It could be that he knows elves exist and are extremely rare - such that he'd be surprised to learn that there's one anywhere in the state, let alone in the same city.

But... Immortals can, by their own rules, only guide and empower mortals to deal with aberrations. Elves can act freely, including using their powers, to protect others from dangerous magic - and aberrations involve dangerous magic pretty much by definition. So Raven is a greater danger than Pandora.

26 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

And even if he's surprised, it doesn't mean he's surprised at the *possibility*. It could be that he knows elves exist and are extremely rare - such that he'd be surprised to learn that there's one anywhere in the state, let alone in the same city.

But... Immortals can, by their own rules, only guide and empower mortals to deal with aberrations. Elves can act freely, including using their powers, to protect others from dangerous magic - and aberrations involve dangerous magic pretty much by definition. So Raven is a greater danger than Pandora.

Yeah, I imagine it wouldn't take much digging for Sirleck to find out that Adrian is Ellen's teacher.

This really is a tricky spot. Voltaire lied about Adrian being Helena or Demetrius's son. but a quick update with Magus would reveal that he's really Pandora's. Either Sirleck's going to act without giving Magus a progress report, or he does and believes Abner lied to him about everything (because how can Sirleck be sure what the real Abner said was true if what the fake Abner said isn't). Maybe Voltaire is setting things up so any loose ends will end up tieing themselves. Like Sirleck either attacking Adrian and getting killed, or attacking Abner and finding out how much of a mage he is. Maybe something further along in the plot will end up killing Sirleck. Voltaire may probably, in a round about way, be trying to kill several birds with one stone.

My guess is Col. Sanders...I mean Voltaire represents order, or the status quo (Hence his first plan and his assumption that Elliot was the messenger of Chaos. He still MIGHT be, if unknowingly and unwillingly). Pandora has been doing some pretty terrible stuff after all; somehow messing with the flow of magic, empowering and guiding several people (Luke, Rhoda, Catalina, Justin, Luke's friends...TEDD and Sara (Who I'm still interested in what his talents are). So Voltaire's goal is to set things back to the status quo. Moperville would still likely be a magical hotspot, since it's connected to the other dimensions magic, but the contagion would stop.

So, obviously even those involved in Pandora's ill-conceived scheme by her own machinations will need to be stopped. OHHH or he was purposefully targeting Elliot to try and draw Pandora out. Which would explain why he told Sirleck about Adrian; to draw her out, because Pandora would not accept an abberation threat to her son. So one death (Because Pandora as she is now will no longer exist).

I'm almost betting that Sara's power is going to come in handy when the group ends up facing Voltaire. Abner will also likely switch sides, my guess is because if his moral alignment IS Rick from Cascablanca, he's ultimately a good guy. and also I kind of want Abner to stay in the series. I totally don't think he's a good love interest for Susan or Sara >>

So ultimately I don't think Abner will let Voltaire kill any of the main cast or Ashley.

Also, I'm almost certain Magus or Pandora was involved way back when we first started the story line to get Ellen. For Magus to get out of the ethereal plane, Ellen has to shoot Elliot with her beam. But why? What exactly will happen? Will Magus be able to possess a form somehow that way? I really want to know WHY that's necessary.

5 minutes ago, FolksyFox said:

Also, I'm almost certain Magus or Pandora was involved way back when we first started the story line to get Ellen. For Magus to get out of the ethereal plane, Ellen has to shoot Elliot with her beam. But why? What exactly will happen? Will Magus be able to possess a form somehow that way? I really want to know WHY that's necessary.

We know that Magus thinks Pandora told him that, and has been acting accordingly.

Immortals can lie.

The general theory is that if Ellen hits Elliot with a beam, and Magus is standing between them, the beam will carry him into Elliot's body.  If the combined/possessed/commensal/whatever Elliot then touches the Dewitchery Diamond, it will separate the two of them and give Magus a new body.

Personally, I'd really like to see the gang decide to help Magus voluntarily once he can find some way to explain this to them, either through an intermediary (possibly a glove-assisted Tedd being able to see and hear him), or once he's gotten inside Elliot and can use his voice.

That's the general theory... under the assumptions that Magus correctly understood Pandora, Pandora was telling the truth, and Pandora's knowledge of what would happen is correct.

While I don't have any specific reason to doubt those assumptions, I'm wondering what Pandora gets out of it if they are all true.

Whereas if Pandora is lying, or simply not particularly confident that what she told Magus was correct, we get a possibility of an outcome that would surprise Pandora. She likes being surprised.

@Infiniteremnant - This is possible. 

@Don Renolds - Also possible. I think what Pandora gets out of Magus' situation is entertainment. :/ Seems to be what she craves most.  ^^;

It'll be interesting to see where this thread will lead. And whether we'll like the results, for that matter. >>

23 hours ago, Kazzellin said:
On 05/07/2016 at 2:47 AM, hkmaly said:

He would not be their kid at all; for one, then he would probably be an immortal as well. For another, didn't Dan mention somewhere that they're siblings? Granted, incest is best kept in the family, but still. ;)

Funny, but I meant Adrian is implied to be kid of ONE of them. Note that we don't even know if immortals are capable of having child between themselves.

... also, incest in family is necessary part of most mythologies, because of limited starting point. Zeus and Hera are siblings and have several kids together, including Ares and Hebe. And Hebe married Heracles, another son of Zeus ... something more about topic ... even more (warning, tvtropes) ...

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

It's possible immortals can locate aberrations much easier, while Elves, more dangerous when met, can be avoided when one is careful.

5 hours ago, FolksyFox said:

My guess is Col. Sanders...I mean Voltaire represents order, or the status quo (Hence his first plan and his assumption that Elliot was the messenger of Chaos. He still MIGHT be, if unknowingly and unwillingly). Pandora has been doing some pretty terrible stuff after all; somehow messing with the flow of magic, empowering and guiding several people (Luke, Rhoda, Catalina, Justin, Luke's friends...TEDD and Sara (Who I'm still interested in what his talents are). So Voltaire's goal is to set things back to the status quo. Moperville would still likely be a magical hotspot, since it's connected to the other dimensions magic, but the contagion would stop.

Pandora NAMED herself Chaos, but she has no "official authorization" for it (nor she needs one). Similarly, if Voltaire decides to represent order, it's HIS decision and he is doing it without official authorization ... or any true understanding of what order is. So, he behaves just like dictators who claim they bring order ... yes, that matches.

Also, who's Sara?

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

That's the general theory... under the assumptions that Magus correctly understood Pandora, Pandora was telling the truth, and Pandora's knowledge of what would happen is correct.

While I don't have any specific reason to doubt those assumptions, I'm wondering what Pandora gets out of it if they are all true.

Whereas if Pandora is lying, or simply not particularly confident that what she told Magus was correct, we get a possibility of an outcome that would surprise Pandora. She likes being surprised.

Hmmmm ... didn't looked at it this way. On the other hand, she might be telling the truth and simply assumes (or predicts) that whatever Magus will do after he will have body would be fun for her.

48 minutes ago, Kazzellin said:

It'll be interesting to see where this thread will lead. And whether we'll like the results, for that matter.

We are more likely to like the results than Pandora :) - Dan isn't the kind of author who likes to torture his readers.