• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

Oatmeal with canned peaches (well, cupped peaches) and raspberry jam.  Still working on a water/oatmeal ratio + cooking time that doesn't result in oatmeal soup.  Getting closer.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

Oatmeal with canned peaches (well, cupped peaches) and raspberry jam.  Still working on a water/oatmeal ratio + cooking time that doesn't result in oatmeal soup.  Getting closer.

Reminds me of the Oatmeal Crisp commercials back in the day.

"Real oatmeal should be thick enough to stand on"

"Real oatmeal should be thick enough to stop a 9-iron"

43 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Reminds me of the Oatmeal Crisp commercials back in the day.

"Real oatmeal should be thick enough to stand on"

"Real oatmeal should be thick enough to stop a 9-iron"

Nigel Bennett did that series of commercials for them, with a comically broad Scottish accent, declaring of the cereal, "But it's no' oatmeal!"  (After tasting it, he is won over enough to amend that to, "It's a bonnie cereal.....but it's no' oatmeal!")  At a convention, a real Scot told him with some teasing annoyance, "You're right, it's no' oatmeal -- we call it porridge, ya daft git!"

He was playing an evil vampire on Forever Knight just after those commercials, and the blooper reel has a hilarious prank where the victim he's attacking is scripted to pull out a cross to ward him off, and instead pulled out a box of Oatmeal Crisp....Nigel's reaction is priceless!

35 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

He was playing an evil vampire on Forever Knight just after those commercials, and the blooper reel has a hilarious prank where the victim he's attacking is scripted to pull out a cross to ward him off, and instead pulled out a box of Oatmeal Crisp....Nigel's reaction is priceless!

Would this be it? :)

I'm cooking An Experiment.  I took a package of Vigo black beans and rice and added a bulb (yes, a whole bulb, not a clove) of garlic to it.  I really like garlic and I know from previous cooking of it that it gets much less strong if boiled for a while.  I will report back once I try it.

[Edit]
It's pretty good.  And the garlic chunks are in fact mild.  It's good enough that I think this is going to be my method of cooking black beans and rice from now on, assuming I have garlic in the house.

[Edit Secundus] Need to peel the cloves a bit better, had a few of those paper like skins.  They do not get softer after boiling.  Might have gotten tougher in fact.

Taste and health wise one can never have too much garlic. Odor-wise one can easily easily do so. I especially do so If I have so much as a clove of it I smell like I bathed in it. From what I can find drink milk with garlicky food reduces the allyl methyl sulfide that makes you smell like garlic. Parley helps the breath things and Epsom salt soaks reduce the sweat odor some.

If you are interested the is n alternative with the taste of garlic (perhaps a bit more intense) try Society garlic (Tulbaghia violacea) AKA Pink Agapanthus or African Lily. Same taste and supposedly none of the odor issues associated with garlic. Not sure of haw the health benefits compare to regular garlic. Word of warning here in Florida it spreads very well (it isn't to the point it's invasive or will choke out other plants but it does readily spread if allowed to). It supposedly doe not survive frosts well though.

In the Pacific Northwest, there's a local food called the Maple Bar. It's a bar donut with maple glaze on top. I prefer them without any kind of filling; they taste better that way, if you ask me.

Virtually unknown outside the west coast. Which is a shame because they're so good.

So, imagine how happy I am to know a place that sells them. Yay!

8 minutes ago, Zorua said:

In the Pacific Northwest, there's a local food called the Maple Bar. It's a bar donut with maple glaze on top. I prefer them without any kind of filling; they taste better that way, if you ask me.

Virtually unknown outside the west coast. Which is a shame because they're so good.

So, imagine how happy I am to know a place that sells them. Yay!

Every Tim Horton's in Canada has those as far as I know, there's also the maple version of the Boston Cream, that is maple glaze plus a maple cream filling. They also have a maple pecan danish. :)

I am trying this 500 degree roast.  I'll let you know how it is in about 3 hours or so.  I'll be making rice and gravy to go along with it.

[Edit one]  1 hour and 15 minutes to  go in the  "sit in the hot oven" stage, and I'm getting hungry.  More in an hour or so.

[Edit #2] It's good.  Now found my new way of doing roasts.

[Edit 3]  And  now  that  I've  had  about a pound and half  of  roast  beef and  a bout  a  pound, cooked  weight,  of rice, all with a so-so gravy, I feel like I should go to bed.  Even after several cups  of tea.

28 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Chocolate pudding with cinnamon.

Surprisingly disappointing.

That's odd, because Mexican hot chocolate which has cinnamon is quite good.  Of course it's fairly low sugar, which might have an effect on the taste.  Most puddings are fairly high sugar.  Other than that, to quote Jerry "I don't know Jack" :P

I have recently completed the ingestion of a nice dinner, consisting of one tuna steak, one and a half carrots, some beans and some peas.

The tuna was good, I am neutral about the veg, except the carrot could have been boiled for longer.

...I have a strange dead-weight feeling halfway down my throat.

Nothing.  Was planning on having a roast beef, from the 500 degree thing I posted about before.  Somehow started a grease fire in the oven (BEFORE I had put the roast in).  Fire alarm going off.  Apartment rapidly approaching ambient temperature of 49 degrees.  Looks like in a few hours I will be cleaning out the oven, to include the fire extinguisher  stuff.  Not my best birthday.  Not my worse either, but the day is young still.  Regardless, not going back to bed for a while.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I had to look up what that stuff was.

It was good, that's what it was. ;)  Tasted like a slab of pork frankfurter, but with the meat cooked in a loaf pan instead of being stuffed into sausage casings. Nom.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Y'all should read the book "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves".

Done. Many times over.

*sob* They don't know they're dead...