• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Monday, Oct 14, 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-074

Ok ... STILL no mention of defense. Sigh.

And, Grace too late noticed that Tedd is not completely OK with Diane coming ... and looking at reddit comments, the reasoning make sense. I'm not sure Tedd is ok to explain herself to SUSAN, much less Diane.

On the other hand, as mentioned in commentary, both choices were not exactly good. The party was already not ideal for private stuff and it will be worse ... but it's not good time for telling Susan no.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure Tedd is ok to explain herself to SUSAN, much less Diane.

Susan has known Tedd as a girl since Grace's birthday party, where Susan got to experience being a boy. Susan actually has a Tedd fairy doll now. Diane, however, is a stranger to Tedd, so, yes.

Of course, by the time Susan and Diane arrive, Susan should have already explained that Tedd can change his gender and often does, so when Diane actually meets Tedd, she might say something like "You look just like Nanase when you're a girl" when Tedd is a boy.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Added stuff.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure Tedd is ok to explain herself to SUSAN, much less Diane.

Susan has known Tedd as a girl since Grace's birthday party, where Susan got to experience being a boy. Susan actually has a Tedd fairy doll now. Diane, however, is a stranger to Tedd, so, yes.

Susan has known Tedd as someone who changes to girl for fun. I suspect she didn't told her she found what "genderfluid" means.

Of course, by the time Susan and Diane arrive, Susan should have already explained that Tedd can change his gender and often does, so when Diane actually meets Tedd, she might say something like "You look just like Nanase when you're a girl" when Tedd is a boy.

Diane has detective sense. I think she WILL notice when he's boy. Also, Susan might not be explaining that. She doesn't have that much experience with Tedd so it may not occur to her how likely it is she will be girl.

... also, while it's true Tedd and Nanase look similar, their current look is not exactly maximizing the similarity.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan has known Tedd as someone who changes to girl for fun. I suspect she didn't told her she found what "genderfluid" means.

The last time, that we know of, Susan saw Tedd as a girl was in Playing with Dolls, yeah Tedd came to school as a girl when Elliot brought up the idea of the party with Susan and Sarah, but it's unknown if Susan noticed. I dunnot if Tedd would have mentioned having discovered what genderfluidity is during the offpanel recap she gave Susan and Nanase of the card tournament or if she limited it to just telling them about her ability to "See" magic.

There is also this page where Sarah's worried about what Susan would think of her transforming, and Tedd basically telling her to not let what Susan thinks get in the way of having fun, Tedd's current behaviour suggests that she's unable to do so herself. She might have been able to if it was just Susan coming over, but everyone describing Diane as a Doppel-Susan is probably making Tedd expect double the disapproving looks.

Diane has detective sense. I think she WILL notice when he's boy. Also, Susan might not be explaining that. She doesn't have that much experience with Tedd so it may not occur to her how likely it is she will be girl.

Everything we've seen from Diane in the past couple story makes me believe that she would catch on and likely not have any issue with it. Sure, hearing about Elliot being able to turn into a female was a shock, but she wasn't totally put off by it, it just seemed like the Cheerleadra 2.0 form disturbed her but the general thought of Elliot having that spell didn't. So I would expect that if Tedd introduced herself in girl form, Diane would likely jump to the "Tedd's transformed" assumption, but if Elliot or someone else mentioned Tedd being Genderfluid I'm certain Diane would understand.

... also, while it's true Tedd and Nanase look similar, their current look is not exactly maximizing the similarity.

It's mainly that hair and certain body features really but it's possible Diane could see some resemblance in the face, as Sarah did.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

The last time, that we know of, Susan saw Tedd as a girl was in Playing with Dolls, yeah Tedd came to school as a girl when Elliot brought up the idea of the party with Susan and Sarah, but it's unknown if Susan noticed.

I think she didn't - that Sarah noticed because as artist she study anatomy.

I dunnot if Tedd would have mentioned having discovered what genderfluidity is during the offpanel recap she gave Susan and Nanase of the card tournament or if she limited it to just telling them about her ability to "See" magic.

I think she limited that explanation to the ability to "see" magic, yes.

There is also this page where Sarah's worried about what Susan would think of her transforming, and Tedd basically telling her to not let what Susan thinks get in the way of having fun, Tedd's current behaviour suggests that she's unable to do so herself. She might have been able to if it was just Susan coming over, but everyone describing Diane as a Doppel-Susan is probably making Tedd expect double the disapproving looks.

Actually, when she said what she's SPECIFICALLY afraid of, Tedd was somewhat less certain ...

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Everything we've seen from Diane in the past couple story makes me believe that she would catch on and likely not have any issue with it. Sure, hearing about Elliot being able to turn into a female was a shock, but she wasn't totally put off by it, it just seemed like the Cheerleadra 2.0 form disturbed her but the general thought of Elliot having that spell didn't. So I would expect that if Tedd introduced herself in girl form, Diane would likely jump to the "Tedd's transformed" assumption, but if Elliot or someone else mentioned Tedd being Genderfluid I'm certain Diane would understand.

Yeah, between Elliot and her own character development, she's unlikely to have issues with it ... but Tedd doesn't know that.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's mainly that hair and certain body features really but it's possible Diane could see some resemblance in the face, as Sarah did.

Sarah only commented when Tedd changed hair to form resembling Nanase ... granted, his current look IS closer to that, while Nanase's different that it used to be ...

IIRC, Tedd and Diane have not yet met face to face (nor have Sarah and Diane, for that matter), so it is entirely possible that Tedd would be worried about Diane being judgemental.

Just now, ijuin said:

IIRC, Tedd and Diane have not yet met face to face (nor have Sarah and Diane, for that matter), so it is entirely possible that Tedd would be worried about Diane being judgemental.

I wanna say that out of Tedd's immediate friends, Susan's probably the only one that seems to just tolerate Tedd transforming, Grace was supportive very early on, so was Ellen, I dunno if there was a point on panel where Sarah states her support, but considering how close Sarah, Grace and Tedd have become I can't imagine she doesn't support Tedd. Elliot and Justin have both stated they understand how Tedd feels about it (I guess the page with Justin shows that Sarah understood Tedd being genderfluid for a while too but she assumed Tedd already knew as well), I'm not entirely sure about Nanase either, Ellen might have talked to her about it or she came to the conclusion, or if being related has anything to do with either of them caring what the other thinks.

With Susan, she hasn't stated any approval or understanding that I know of and it's possible that Tedd does care about Susan's opinion of her and maybe she had hoped to hear Susan say she understands genderfluidity at some point but having not done so has got Tedd worried that having Diane see her like that might get a bad response from Susan.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

With Susan, she hasn't stated any approval or understanding that I know of and it's possible that Tedd does care about Susan's opinion of her and maybe she had hoped to hear Susan say she understands genderfluidity at some point but having not done so has got Tedd worried that having Diane see her like that might get a bad response from Susan.

Could be, but I think the person Tedd  is most worried about learning he is genderfluid is his mother. Ironically, Noriko could already know this from Van. This is why I think Tedd's mom would be the most interesting party crasher.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Could be, but I think the person Tedd  is most worried about learning he is genderfluid is his mother. Ironically, Noriko could already know this from Van. This is why I think Tedd's mom would be the most interesting party crasher.

I really doubt Noriko is going to crash this party though.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

But it would be awesome if she does, wouldn't it?

I think it'd take away from the purpose of this storyline, which is letting Ashley get to know everyone and getting Susan to open up.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Honestly, unless a bunch of monsters show up, no.

I don't think there will be enough cake if there's a bunch of monsters. Besides, there haven't been any monsters in Title Pending; the theme has been all about relationships.

I wanna say that out of Tedd's immediate friends, Susan's probably the only one that seems to just tolerate Tedd transforming, Grace was supportive very early on, so was Ellen, I dunno if there was a point on panel where Sarah states her support, but considering how close Sarah, Grace and Tedd have become I can't imagine she doesn't support Tedd. Elliot and Justin have both stated they understand how Tedd feels about it (I guess the page with Justin shows that Sarah understood Tedd being genderfluid for a while too but she assumed Tedd already knew as well), I'm not entirely sure about Nanase either, Ellen might have talked to her about it or she came to the conclusion, or if being related has anything to do with either of them caring what the other thinks.

For most of them, support for Tedd's gender fluidity is unrelated to actually knowing the term for it ... making me wonder who knew the term and when they found out.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Could be, but I think the person Tedd  is most worried about learning he is genderfluid is his mother. Ironically, Noriko could already know this from Van.

Unless the Will of Magic specifically explained the issue to Van - and I don't think it did or that it understands the issue itself - I think Van wouldn't be exactly useful source for Noriko to find out this detail. Noriko may just assume he guessed Tedd's gender incorrectly ...

Nevertheless, I think that Noriko wouldn't care. Her only reaction to seeing Tedd as not just girl but catgirl would be "is that your own spell?" ...

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Honestly, unless a bunch of monsters show up, no.

I don't think there will be enough cake if there's a bunch of monsters.

I don't think there will be any cake on the party. There will be pizza, but if Noriko shows up, the monsters would be dead before even looking at it.

Just now, hkmaly said:

For most of them, support for Tedd's gender fluidity is unrelated to actually knowing the term for it ... making me wonder who knew the term and when they found out.

The page I linked for Justin has him mention the term and Tedd being surprised that Justin knew the term with Sarah sounding like she knew the term and I don't think Tedd had gotten around to actually telling Sarah about the "personal discovery" before that point. The best time Tedd could have told Sarah was while they were waiting for Justin to finish talking with Luke, but considering Tedd didn't want to give any reason for not telling Edward about his mark, I'm gonna believe that the moment Justin mentions it was when the subject finally came up that night.

I dunno when either of them would have learned about it, it's possible that Justin's read some comics that have mentioned it :coughmetacough:, Sarah might have developed a curiosity about Tedd's transformation habits and did some research too but maybe didn't want to jump to conclusions or something so she didn't talk to Tedd about it sooner.

As for Elliot and Ellen, they both did some research on the subject of gender identity, and when Elliot described how she felt about the idea of losing the ability to use female forms Ellen asked if that made her like Tedd and Elliot described Tedd's genderfluidity pretty well as. Of course Elliot's research was done after his chat with Tedd about Tedd trying to decide which form to stick with if Magic changed and Ellen's research likely started not long after she was created and was probably ongoing for most of the year, like a few days earlier Ellen learned that she was bisexual homo-romantic.  Grace of course was the one that first told Tedd there was a word for it so it's clear she had done some research too

42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think there will be any cake on the party.

Yes, there will be cake.

Tedd is changing to male. He will burn it.

(Ok, actually he will burn it because he will be worried about Susan and Diane and forgets about it, but HE will blame the gender as well.)

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The page I linked for Justin has him mention the term and Tedd being surprised that Justin knew the term with Sarah sounding like she knew the term and I don't think Tedd had gotten around to actually telling Sarah about the "personal discovery" before that point. The best time Tedd could have told Sarah was while they were waiting for Justin to finish talking with Luke, but considering Tedd didn't want to give any reason for not telling Edward about his mark, I'm gonna believe that the moment Justin mentions it was when the subject finally came up that night.

Probably. Except ... the "gender fluid" term describes it so well you can possibly "reinvent" it yourself. "You're pretty gender fluid" actually doesn't sound like using term.

As for Elliot and Ellen, they both did some research on the subject of gender identity, and when Elliot described how she felt about the idea of losing the ability to use female forms Ellen asked if that made her like Tedd and Elliot described Tedd's genderfluidity pretty well as. Of course Elliot's research was done after his chat with Tedd about Tedd trying to decide which form to stick with if Magic changed and Ellen's research likely started not long after she was created and was probably ongoing for most of the year, like a few days earlier Ellen learned that she was bisexual homo-romantic.

Yeah, those two only started the research relatively recently, and even for Ellen it's hard to say how soon she found topic as advanced as "genderfluid".

Grace of course was the one that first told Tedd there was a word for it so it's clear she had done some research too

Grace had the sort-of-advantage of not knowing lot of things and therefore learning them. Lot of people don't REALIZE they don't know stuff like that and should learn about it. Including Tedd, actually.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

In http://egscomics.com/comic/2008-08-19 Susan says that she is aware that a person's early spells tend to reflect who they are, so she'd be aware that Tedd getting a spell that can switch "default" sexes would be somehow reflective of Tedd's inner nature. So yes, Susan knows by now that Tedd genderbending is not something done just for kicks but rather because on some level Tedd really wants to BE female at least part of the time.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I do not expect the reunion between Tedd and Noriko to be a pleasant one, at least at first. Tedd has a lot of pain over her abandoning him, and he's likely to either shut down or take it out on her. And if she tries to reconnect with Tedd and Tedd has any reason to believe she knows that he has magic, he may believe that she only cares about his magic, not him. Unless I'm completely misreading things, that story will be one of intense drama and angst.

Meanwhile, I was hoping and expecting Title Pending to have just as much fun in it as drama and to be upbeat overall, much like Grace's Birthday Party.

So, this is another "no".

13 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The Cake Is A Lie

Cake is Truth.

10 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

I do not expect the reunion between Tedd and Noriko to be a pleasant one, at least at first. Tedd has a lot of pain over her abandoning him, and he's likely to either shut down or take it out on her. And if she tries to reconnect with Tedd and Tedd has any reason to believe she knows that he has magic, he may believe that she only cares about his magic, not him. Unless I'm completely misreading things, that story will be one of intense drama and angst.

Chekov's gun was put over the mantlepiece more than a year ago now, when Dan revealed Van was Tedd's half-sibling. Tedd is in his own home, surrounded by all his friends, and his dad is conveniently out of the house for the weekend, so no fight between his mom and dad (yet). What would be a better time and place for Tedd?

Title Pending could be more of a smokescreen than a joke. It certainly doesn't give a big hint like Family Ties. Maybe Dan is planning on springing a surprise. Some reconciliation between Tedd and his mom sounds fairly upbeat to me.

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

In http://egscomics.com/comic/2008-08-19 Susan says that she is aware that a person's early spells tend to reflect who they are, so she'd be aware that Tedd getting a spell that can switch "default" sexes would be somehow reflective of Tedd's inner nature. So yes, Susan knows by now that Tedd genderbending is not something done just for kicks but rather because on some level Tedd really wants to BE female at least part of the time.

Not necessarily true.

It IS possible that getting kicks from transforming to girl is someone's nature.

However, the details of Tedd's spells - like, how the spell specifically makes both genders equal - really make it suspicious. Someone who transforms just for fun would be more likely to get spell like Elliot got.

So, as long as Susan thinks about it a little, she will consider more likely that Tedd is genderfluid (assuming she knows the term).

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
On 10/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, Tom Sewell said:

What's worse, she MIGHT actually care more about his magic than him. Her exact motivation is still open question.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Chekov's gun was put over the mantlepiece more than a year ago now, when Dan revealed Van was Tedd's half-sibling. Tedd is in his own home, surrounded by all his friends, and his dad is conveniently out of the house for the weekend, so no fight between his mom and dad (yet). What would be a better time and place for Tedd?

Title Pending could be more of a smokescreen than a joke. It certainly doesn't give a big hint like Family Ties. Maybe Dan is planning on springing a surprise. Some reconciliation between Tedd and his mom sounds fairly upbeat to me.

It's true that despite how long the title is "Title Pending", I still think we WILL eventually get true (spoilerly) title. Just like Family Tree (what Ties?). However, EGS works long-term and Chekov's gun from The Fate of Magic is less than two years old, it can easily be something else.