• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story: Wednesday April 29, 2020

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-149

All is forgiven!!!

Now Grace, be careful, maybe ask Sam first if he told Sarah in case Sarah simply made a mistake in what tense to use.

Though this could be very much confirmation that Sam did tell Sarah that he's trans, I dunno how much he'd have told her though, but it could explain how Sarah was in such a good mood about the last date being an actual date, and her not being willing to tell Grace might mean that Sam didn't mention Grace knowing.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

https://www.egscomics.com/comic/party-149

All is forgiven!!!

Now Grace, be careful, maybe ask Sam first if he told Sarah in case Sarah simply made a mistake in what tense to use.

Though this could be very much confirmation that Sam did tell Sarah that he's trans, I dunno how much he'd have told her though, but it could explain how Sarah was in such a good mood about the last date being an actual date, and her not being willing to tell Grace might mean that Sam didn't mention Grace knowing.

Sam was not very open, I doubt he told Sarah.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

I didn't even caught it until you mentioned it. Although now it explains why Dan needed to repeat it in commentary.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Sam was not very open, I doubt he told Sarah.

I wonder if she found by mistake. Like, with her spell. But not sure how exactly.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I wonder if she found by mistake. Like, with her spell. But not sure how exactly.

I dunno, maybe, but I get the feeling that if she found out like that, and then told Sam that she knows, it might make for an awkward night. Even if Sarah didn't mention to Sam that she knows, she might have felt the need to tread lightly which also might have affected how that last date went.

Sam though, had since Monday when he talked with Grace to thinking about whether or not he should talk to Sarah about things, even if he wasn't going to tell her he was Trans, there was still the matter of whether or not he wanted to date her or just keep things platonic, but I think the decision to date would also include mentioning he was Trans. I'd like to think maybe the experience with Smoke might have had an influence, like seeing Grace actually transform, and knowing that Sarah knows she can do that, probably made Sam feel better about Sarah reacting well to him being Trans.

I must be dense.  Until today's comic I didn't even think of the possibility that Sarah was having issues with gender due to Sam.   Well Played The Dan, Well Played.

Grace, Grace, Grace, Grace, Grace...

How many times does it bear repeating?

If you are going to eavesdrop, EAVESDROP ON THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION!

If you only hear bits and pieces of what other people are saying, that will lead to confusion, misunderstanding, and Three's Company type shenanigans

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If you only hear bits and pieces of what other people are saying, that will lead to confusion, misunderstanding, and Three's Company type shenanigans

She might have heard everything, it's still the fact that Sarah said "isn't" instead of "wasn't", that caught her attention, if Sarah was referring to when her and Elliot were dating, she should have said "So what if my boyfriend WASN'T "male" all the time..."

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

1 minute ago, Scotty said:

She might have heard everything, it's still the fact that Sarah said "isn't" instead of "wasn't", that caught her attention, if Sarah was referring to when her and Elliot were dating, she should have said "So what if my boyfriend WASN'T "male" all the time..."

I'm fairly sure that Grace heard the whole thing and is, in fact triggering on the "isn't".  I suspect that Friday's comic will expand on this.

Question is does the present tense refer to Sam, Elliot or Tedd?  Knowledge we didn't realize she has, lingering feelings she shouldn't have or growing feelings she isn't acknowledging?

1 hour ago, showler said:

Question is does the present tense refer to Sam, Elliot or Tedd?  Knowledge we didn't realize she has, lingering feelings she shouldn't have or growing feelings she isn't acknowledging?

Well Tedd has never been her boyfriend, so we can rule that out.  As to Elliot vs Sam, my money is on Sam.

Yay for rays-from-a-hidden-sunburst background in in panel six!

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

Well Tedd has never been her boyfriend, so we can rule that out. 

Not that we know of anyway... :danshiftyeyes:

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I dunno, maybe, but I get the feeling that if she found out like that, and then told Sam that she knows, it might make for an awkward night. Even if Sarah didn't mention to Sam that she knows, she might have felt the need to tread lightly which also might have affected how that last date went.

Well, yes, it does seem more likely it wouldn't end well in such case. But on the other hand Sam telling her didn't look that much likely either ...

9 hours ago, mlooney said:
10 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm fairly sure that Grace heard the whole thing and is, in fact triggering on the "isn't".  I suspect that Friday's comic will expand on this.

I'm not so sure about that. It's not like Grace can react on it immediately ...

And yes, I don't think Grace missed anything important. If there will be misunderstanding, it's because Sarah used incorrect tense by mistake.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:
6 hours ago, showler said:

Well Tedd has never been her boyfriend, so we can rule that out.  As to Elliot vs Sam, my money is on Sam.

Sam sounds most likely, but Freudian slips may not be entirely direct ...

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Yay for rays-from-a-hidden-sunburst background in in panel six!

Not that we know of anyway... :danshiftyeyes:

Well, pre goo time frame Tedd wasn't gender swapping in public.   Post goo, we don't have a time frame where Sarah could be Tedd's girlfriend.

Granted we do have the OT3 but that's not canon as yet.

That's pretty much what I meant by "growing feelings she isn't acknowledging".  Her time with Grace and Tedd may be making her feel things toward Tedd.

That's pretty much what I meant by "growing feelings she isn't acknowledging.  Her time with Grace and Tedd may be making her feel things toward Tedd.

I'll give you that, but enough feelings towards him as to call him her boyfriend?  That seems like a bit much.

"Freudian Slips" that are wildly over the top are sort of a storytelling trope.  Often used to move a story forward when good sense would see it stall out.

Admittedly, it's the least likely of the three options I see.  Though only just a little bit less likely than Sarah suddenly knowing about Sam or, more importantly, mischaracterizing his gender identity the way she would have had to do in that sentence.

Admittedly, it's the least likely of the three options I see.  Though only just a little bit less likely than Sarah suddenly knowing about Sam or, more importantly, mischaracterizing his gender identity the way she would have had to do in that sentence.

Mischaracterizing? I'm not sure what would she get bad.
Also, remember that this is the comix where Ellen was called Nanase's boyfriend. Granted, what sounds cute from child might not work for teenager ...

On re-read I'm even more sure that Sarah means Sam for reasons other than the use of present tense.  It's the quotes around male.

17 minutes ago, mlooney said:

On re-read I'm even more sure that Sarah means Sam for reasons other than the use of present tense.  It's the quotes around male.

Isn't Sam now male all the time? I think it's possible she's just thinking about her reaction to Elliot in the present tense, as if she were reliving it in her head.

On a re-read, Grace, on the other hand, is clearly taking her to mean Sam spilled the beans.

5 hours ago, mlooney said:

I'll give you that, but enough feelings towards him as to call him her boyfriend?  That seems like a bit much.

Sarah did admit that she thought Tedd was cute, in front of Grace no less.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Isn't Sam now male all the time?

I don't think so, I mean he's likely got the same spell that Tedd's got, maybe minus the "enchant others" part of it, but he probably has to go back to being female when around people who don't know he's trans, like family.

Just now, mlooney said:

Shipping aside, there is a difference between thinking some one is cute and thinking they are your boyfriend.

True, but it does affect how Grace thinks, that comment from Sarah may have contributed to Grace thinking Sarah is the perfect woman and wanting Sarah to live with her and Tedd. Likewise, Ellen was also included as someone Grace wants to live with them and Ellen had also said that Tedd was sexy, Grace didn't react to that though, but then maybe Grace did overhear Ellen say that Tedd was sexy back during their double date, Grace did doubleglomp them shortly after.

11 minutes ago, Scotty said:

True, but it does affect how Grace thinks, that comment from Sarah may have contributed to Grace thinking Sarah is the perfect woman and wanting Sarah to live with her and Tedd.

This may be, and in fact most likely, is true, however it's not Grace that is saying "Boyfriend" at this point.  We have no indication that Sarah thinks of Tedd as her boyfriend.  Close friend, sure, but not her boyfriend.  My money is still on Sarah meaning Sam.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

This may be, and in fact most likely, is true, however it's not Grace that is saying "Boyfriend" at this point.  We have no indication that Sarah thinks of Tedd as her boyfriend.  Close friend, sure, but not her boyfriend.  My money is still on Sarah meaning Sam.

Certainly, it's the proximity in story to Grace having the talk with Sam and the sudden change in attitude from "what historians may or may not say is a date" to "it was certainly a date!" with the implication that something great happened that Sarah isn't currently at liberty to say aside from that it was great, that makes a strong argument towards Sarah meaning Sam.

I think what set Sarah off with the need to apologize to Tedd and Elliot was the realization that they are no different than Sam really, but she had been treating them differently because in Sam's case being Trans-male was in agreement with Sarah's preference for men while we've seen many examples of Sarah not really liking the idea of men becoming women. Sarah probably seems to feel that her attitude might be hypocritical, like she can prefer men over women, but giving preferential treatment to trans-men over trans-women or genderfluid/casual people is not cool and she wants to fix that.