• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

story
Story Wednesday April 19, 2017

53 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Adrian Raven is Charles, Prince of Wales and Pandora is Elizabeth II.

In almost any other lifetime, Chuck should have been on the throne long ago.  But Liz just will not quit.  Adrian should have been able to live a human life of his choosing, but Pandora won't quit.

Not sure what has Chuck Norris to do with Charles of Wales, but the difference is that Adrian nor Pandora are not AWARE of this. Elizabeth II is perfectly aware.

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

In Egypt, Rameses II (the Pharaoh Yule Brenner played in The Ten Commandments) outlived about half a dozen Heirs Apparent.  This is not a unique phenomena to fictional places like Moperville or Britain.

I'm pretty sure outliving lot of Heirs Apparent speaks more about family relationships than about who's fictional. Even in most fictional settings children usually outlive their parents unless some accident happens (like, falling from stairs with dagger in back or being trampled to death by enraged elephant).

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Do you think The Sun would let it slide if they discovered Princess Anne and Zara Tindall practicing druidic rites bareback on horses without saddles?

... I feel I'm missing some obvious reference ...

3 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

Makes me wonder what will happen when she meet someone who makes her heart flutter...

... you mean Elliot doesn't?

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Susan's fairies provide a way to literally distance herself from her emotions.

And way to touch without being touched.

Haylo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not sure what has Chuck Norris to do with Charles of Wales, but the difference is that Adrian nor Pandora are not AWARE of this. Elizabeth II is perfectly aware.

I'm pretty sure outliving lot of Heirs Apparent speaks more about family relationships than about who's fictional. Even in most fictional settings children usually outlive their parents unless some accident happens (like, falling from stairs with dagger in back or being trampled to death by enraged elephant).

... I feel I'm missing some obvious reference ...

... you mean Elliot doesn't?

And way to touch without being touched.

Of course, if she does "go first person" she will feel things (be "touched back") right through the spell. It would be ironic if she got used to being held in someone's hand before she got used to holding hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Haylo said:

Of course, if she does "go first person" she will feel things (be "touched back") right through the spell. It would be ironic if she got used to being held in someone's hand before she got used to holding hands.

Well she felt what it was like holding Fairy Nanase in her hands, it's only a matter of time before she has someone holding her in theirs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scotty said:
11 hours ago, Haylo said:

Of course, if she does "go first person" she will feel things (be "touched back") right through the spell. It would be ironic if she got used to being held in someone's hand before she got used to holding hands.

Well she felt what it was like holding Fairy Nanase in her hands, it's only a matter of time before she has someone holding her in theirs.

Well she didn't get FULL first person feedback, but she did felt something ...

... and yes, considering she can regulate the feedback she is getting, I totally expect she would experiment with this as way to get "used" to touching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

Well she didn't get FULL first person feedback, but she did felt something ...

We knew she could get feedback from the fairies right from the start though, huh, I wonder how that worked actually, Susan used the fairy to scout ahead, was she literally able to see what the fairy was seeing? Or was there some other sense that was being used that let Susan know that the artifact hadn't been knocked over?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well she didn't get FULL first person feedback, but she did felt something ...

We knew she could get feedback from the fairies right from the start though, huh, I wonder how that worked actually, Susan used the fairy to scout ahead, was she literally able to see what the fairy was seeing? Or was there some other sense that was being used that let Susan know that the artifact hadn't been knocked over?

Might not be sense in traditional sense of word. She might just KNOW the artefact is there ... something like remembering it.

That said, she WOULD literally be able to see what the fairy is seeing, question is if she knows how to raise the feedback to such levels (it's part of going first person, after all).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Might not be sense in traditional sense of word. She might just KNOW the artefact is there ... something like remembering it.

That said, she WOULD literally be able to see what the fairy is seeing, question is if she knows how to raise the feedback to such levels (it's part of going first person, after all).

I always found it strange that Susan knew where the artifact was located and had GPS coordinates of the cave, it seems funny that Helena and Demetrius would go as far as telling Susan and Nanase that much detail about it. Though they knew the artifact was made by another Immortal and that said Immortal would have to disenchant the artifact in preparation for a reset. If they knew had a feeling that Immortal was due for a reset, maybe they set up Susan to want to meet Jerry? It's a stretch, but between telling Susan how to find the artifact if she was suddenly unable to summon the hammers, and telling her that the artifact got it's power from another Immortal and when they reset the ability to summon the hammers goes away, they chose to tell her how to find it. I find that suspicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I always found it strange that Susan knew where the artifact was located and had GPS coordinates of the cave, it seems funny that Helena and Demetrius would go as far as telling Susan and Nanase that much detail about it. Though they knew the artifact was made by another Immortal and that said Immortal would have to disenchant the artifact in preparation for a reset. If they knew had a feeling that Immortal was due for a reset, maybe they set up Susan to want to meet Jerry? It's a stretch, but between telling Susan how to find the artifact if she was suddenly unable to summon the hammers, and telling her that the artifact got it's power from another Immortal and when they reset the ability to summon the hammers goes away, they chose to tell her how to find it. I find that suspicious.

I find weirder they told her GPS coordinates but didn't mentioned it's on park trail ... unless the park trail was new.

Maybe the artifact was falling often?

Helena and Demetrius behaviour before reset seems more and more suspicious the more we think about it, yes ...

... is it possible they INTENTIONALLY lured Jerry into vowing to help them? His reaction might've been predictable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

... is it possible they INTENTIONALLY lured Jerry into vowing to help them? His reaction might've been predictable.

I still believe that Helena and Demetrius also had made a vow in their previous life, why else would they feel compelled to watch over Elliot? Whatever the circumstances were, they might have wanted to ensure that they had every advantage possible to keep that vow.

What are the chances they intentionally broke Immortal law? Like if something was about to happen and they couldn't do anything to stop it without breaking Immortal law. They might have been willing to risk messing up their memories but wanted to make sure they had help in keeping their vow, IE: people close to Elliot, again we know that Elliot and Nanase knew each other before the trip, and and if Helena and Demetrius knew Susan went to the same school and was friends with Sarah who's a good friend of Elliot's, they might have felt it was worth giving them magic as well as a way to meet Jerry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I still believe that Helena and Demetrius also had made a vow in their previous life, why else would they feel compelled to watch over Elliot? Whatever the circumstances were, they might have wanted to ensure that they had every advantage possible to keep that vow.

What are the chances they intentionally broke Immortal law? Like if something was about to happen and they couldn't do anything to stop it without breaking Immortal law. They might have been willing to risk messing up their memories but wanted to make sure they had help in keeping their vow, IE: people close to Elliot, again we know that Elliot and Nanase knew each other before the trip, and and if Helena and Demetrius knew Susan went to the same school and was friends with Sarah who's a good friend of Elliot's, they might have felt it was worth giving them magic as well as a way to meet Jerry.

But why would they target Elliot? Unless ... their real target was the Seer - Tedd. Either they assumed Tedd himself will be protected but predicted Elliot will be targeted as way to indirectly hurt Tedd (they might know Voltaire) or they formed whole plan to surround Tedd with allies and just by random only remembered Elliot after reset.

Forget Voltaire and Pandora. The real puppetmasters of all those catspaws are Helena and Demetrius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unrelated let peeve, not targeting any one here, but modern popular culture in general.

GPS coordinates

They are called latitude and longitude.  Did you even have geography as a class at any level of school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Unrelated let peeve, not targeting any one here, but modern popular culture in general.

GPS coordinates

They are called latitude and longitude.  Did you even have geography as a class at any level of school?

Millenials these days, give em a smartphone and they don't care about navigating the old fashioned way.

Then again I find myself wishing GPS systems were more common when I was growing up, having to listen to parents arguing about map directions was not fun. Having that voice that said "turn left at one hundred meters" was mildly annoying but at least it cut down on the "are you sure we go this way?"

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But why would they target Elliot? Unless ... their real target was the Seer - Tedd. Either they assumed Tedd himself will be protected but predicted Elliot will be targeted as way to indirectly hurt Tedd (they might know Voltaire) or they formed whole plan to surround Tedd with allies and just by random only remembered Elliot after reset.

Forget Voltaire and Pandora. The real puppetmasters of all those catspaws are Helena and Demetrius.

Protecting Elliot to protect Tedd makes sense, Tedd's not in physical danger but Elliot was. Still there may have been more to it than that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Millenials these days, give em a smartphone and they don't care about navigating the old fashioned way.

Yeah, even military grid squares are based on Lat & Long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Millenials these days, give em a smartphone and they don't care about navigating the old fashioned way.

You mean by sextant and compass?

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Then again I find myself wishing GPS systems were more common when I was growing up, having to listen to parents arguing about map directions was not fun. Having that voice that said "turn left at one hundred meters" was mildly annoying but at least it cut down on the "are you sure we go this way?"

While usually GPS systems are accompanied by computer navigation, note that you can use GPS without it - and outside car, you USUALLY need to.

(Also, sometimes the person who programmed map for the navigation had 4x4 car or didn't actually looked at state of road.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

You mean by sextant and compass?

While usually GPS systems are accompanied by computer navigation, note that you can use GPS without it - and outside car, you USUALLY need to.

(Also, sometimes the person who programmed map for the navigation had 4x4 car or didn't actually looked at state of road.)

Maybe you need to, but a simple you are here is all I need.  But I have had a two week training course in map reading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mostly use my Colorado GPSr for geocaching.

A GPSr can hold detailed maps of every town in several states.  You just can't get that sort of detail in a map book.  I have a road atlas, which covers every state but doesn't get down to street level in more than a small section of the biggest few cities.  I also have a folding map of a couple of cities, which again include the center of the city but not any real detail in the suburbs.  With a GPSr, I can navigate through any part of Greater Chicagoland, from outer suburbs to major trails in the Forest Preserve, and I can find my way around a closed section of interstate while traveling downstate to my home town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

A GPSr can hold detailed maps of every town in several states.

There is a difference between having a "you are here and this is a detailed map of where here is" and

"Turn left at State Road 44 and go 13.4 miles, then take exit 355..." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mlooney said:

There is a difference between having a "you are here and this is a detailed map of where here is" and

"Turn left at State Road 44 and go 13.4 miles, then take exit 355..." 

You do have the option of just looking at the maps on a GPSr, you know.  You don't have to go to the Get Directions item and tell it where you're going, if you have more faith in your own navigating skills than the computer's.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Scotty said:

Then again I find myself wishing GPS systems were more common when I was growing up, having to listen to parents arguing about map directions was not fun. Having that voice that said "turn left at one hundred meters" was mildly annoying but at least it cut down on the "are you sure we go this way?"

In my experience having a GPS doesn't seem to cut down on those arguments much. If I'm going to drive somewhere with a number of people in the car and I use the GPS there seems to always be at least one of my passengers who claims to know a better way, though usually they can't describe it. However almost every turn instruction is accompanied by a "No, that's wrong, it's much better to..." type of comment. And whenever you map out alternative routes someone always knows that their favorite route is both much shorter and faster than any of the ones suggested by the gps, even if one of them is identical...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

In my experience having a GPS doesn't seem to cut down on those arguments much. If I'm going to drive somewhere with a number of people in the car and I use the GPS there seems to always be at least one of my passengers who claims to know a better way, though usually they can't describe it. However almost every turn instruction is accompanied by a "No, that's wrong, it's much better to..." type of comment. And whenever you map out alternative routes someone always knows that their favorite route is both much shorter and faster than any of the ones suggested by the gps, even if one of them is identical...
 

Here's the thing, it used to be that my dad would drive, and my mom would try to read the map. Going someplace we'd never been before require several pull overs so that dad could go "we're here, let me know when we're about to get here."

Once dad got a GPS, he could set the directions himself, and if there's a mistake he could only blame himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, mlooney said:

Maybe you need to, but a simple you are here is all I need.  But I have had a two week training course in map reading.

I meant that the computer navigation is useless outside car.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
21 hours ago, mlooney said:

There is a difference between having a "you are here and this is a detailed map of where here is" and

"Turn left at State Road 44 and go 13.4 miles, then take exit 355..." 

You do have the option of just looking at the maps on a GPSr, you know.  You don't have to go to the Get Directions item and tell it where you're going, if you have more faith in your own navigating skills than the computer's.  ;-)

Exactly. Also, as I said, outside car I do. The computer navigation / Get Directions is usually usable for car, but not when you go by foot. Unless you want to go on roads, which you usually don't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Here's the thing, it used to be that my dad would drive, and my mom would try to read the map. Going someplace we'd never been before require several pull overs so that dad could go "we're here, let me know when we're about to get here."

Once dad got a GPS, he could set the directions himself, and if there's a mistake he could only blame himself.

Ah... Never had those problems. Mom always drove as she was a terrible backseat driver and the worst arguments were when my parents argued about lane changes. Usually dad claiming she was too cautious when driving in heavy traffic, telling her that sometimes you had to carefully bully your way into a lane when people didn't show any sign of wanting to let you in. (driving what looked like an old beater that barely held together helped when doing this)

For some reason everyone in my family is remarkably good at reading maps. I don't know how much of this is genetic but for a long time I thought that everyone understood maps the way I do. It was a bit of a shock when I realized that a lot of people just can't visualize what they are looking at on a map, or that they have a problem matching a map to what they see around them. The one map I had some problems with was one some Japanese tourists had. First of all the text and names were in Japanese, and it used some funky projection where things considered important was shown in a more detailed scale while less important parts was shrunk. So trying to determine exactly where we were was quite hard before I started to understand just how that map projection was intended to work. Never seen anything like that since and I'm not sorry for that.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Cpt. Obvious said:

The one map I had some problems with was one some Japanese tourists had.

Reminds me some tourists who asked me where they are on (city) map. I looked for a while and then pointed ten centimetres from the north edge. They bought too small map, apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0