• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

story
Story: Wednesday April 26, 2017

42 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan can't summon anything which won't fit into her trunk. This seems bigger. ( ... and of course there are few more reasons why it's unlikely ...)

Maybe Sarah has a bigger trunk. As I recall, her basic spell magical summons things from a container she has marked. Or maybe it's a new spell. Or maybe it isn't Susan or Susan's magic after all.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in canon, but presumably Susan can't take Intermodal container and mark it.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan can't summon anything which won't fit into her trunk. This seems bigger.

What if Susan were to somehow become aware that Pandora was in her trunk checking out the contents?

... you think her magic would be able to summon magical copy of immortal? And we were speculating if calculator would be possible ...

4 hours ago, Vorlonagent said:

...I mean really...when you come down to it, why are any of us here?  If the universe's constants were just a little different, we wouldn't have stars or planets, let alone life and intelligence.  Things had to be just right.  It's kinda weird and random when you think about it...

Cogito ergo sum. If the universe would be different, we wouldn't be there to wonder why we aren't there.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

every universe (and therefore every collection of those universal constants) that could exist, does. (Or, perhaps, did or will. Depending on how time relates from one universe to another.)

"Does", "did" or "will" imply it is possible to compare the times. Most likely it's not.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

But somewhere out there is another planet inhabited by sapient beings. They refer to themselves as "us" and the place they live as "here", and they gaze at the stars and wonder if they are the only ones...

... but would never consider planet with WATER as something which could hold life. Seriously, WATER? That makes no sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

What if Susan were to somehow become aware that Pandora was in her trunk checking out the contents?

Does Susan's summoning work with anything in the marked container?  Or is it only what SHE puts in the container?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Cogito ergo sum. If the universe would be different, we wouldn't be there to wonder why we aren't there.

Given the way the question was phrased, possibly the word order should be "Sum ergo cogito."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
20 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

What if Susan were to somehow become aware that Pandora was in her trunk checking out the contents?

Does Susan's summoning work with anything in the marked container?  Or is it only what SHE puts in the container?

Only one way to answer that. Have Rhoda shrink Catalina, get Catalina into the container, then get Susan to summon Catalina. ;)

I'm not even sure if Susan's spell would work on living things, but if it's anything like the summon bloodgrem, I dunno.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Only one way to answer that. Have Rhoda shrink Catalina, get Catalina into the container, then get Susan to summon Catalina. ; )

That's probably not the ONLY way.  But, depending on the results, it could be the most fun way to test Susan's abilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Does Susan's summoning work with anything in the marked container?  Or is it only what SHE puts in the container?

The first things she had in her first container seem to have been already in it.

While I'm on the subject, the reason why Susan wanted a doll that would fit in her purse doesn't mean her container is her purse, it's so she can hide a summoned fairy instead of unsummoning it. Unless she gets a bigger purse, she won't be able to hide all her fairies at once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

While I'm on the subject, the reason why Susan wanted a doll that would fit in her purse doesn't mean her container is her purse, it's so she can hide a summoned fairy instead of unsummoning it. Unless she gets a bigger purse, she won't be able to hide all her fairies at once.

Clearly she needs a Handbag of Holding!

Vorlonagent and Tom Sewell like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On den 26 april 2017 at 7:32 AM, Aura Guardian said:

Way too chaotic for Les Immortals, IMO. And too many other eyes. Hello, Pandora.

That comment about eyes makes me think of this

There can never be too many eyes...
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/27/2017 at 8:43 AM, The Old Hack said:

Given the way the question was phrased, possibly the word order should be "Sum ergo cogito."

That's obviously not true. Look at any politicians.

On 04/27/2017 at 5:55 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
On 04/27/2017 at 2:52 PM, Scotty said:

Only one way to answer that. Have Rhoda shrink Catalina, get Catalina into the container, then get Susan to summon Catalina. ; )

That's probably not the ONLY way.  But, depending on the results, it could be the most fun way to test Susan's abilities.

It, however, may be simplest way to test the "living things" bit.

On 04/27/2017 at 7:06 PM, Tom Sewell said:

The first things she had in her first container seem to have been already in it.

I'm not sure they even shown her the inside. (EDIT: wait they did)

On 04/27/2017 at 7:19 PM, CritterKeeper said:

Clearly she needs a Handbag of Holding!

IMHO fake. Real bag of holding have much bigger capacity.

On 04/27/2017 at 11:35 PM, Cpt. Obvious said:

That comment about eyes makes me think of this

There can never be too many eyes...

I think he had even more eyes in last chapters of manga, but on bigger area ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think he had even more eyes in last chapters of manga, but on bigger area ...
 

Look at the clip from the beginning. Eyes everywhere!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2017 at 7:52 AM, Scotty said:

Only one way to answer that. Have Rhoda shrink Catalina, get Catalina into the container, then get Susan to summon Catalina. ;)

 

On 4/27/2017 at 10:55 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

That's probably not the ONLY way.  But, depending on the results, it could be the most fun way to test Susan's abilities.

 

On 4/27/2017 at 5:42 PM, hkmaly said:

It, however, may be simplest way to test the "living things" bit.

 

First, they need a clear plastic box big enough to fit a person (shrunken if neccessary).  Another person to stand by on the phone to Susan, observing whether the spell has any effect on the person being summoned.  And Susan far enough away and/or the summoned avatar behind enough of a barrier that if it works like a fairy and if it appears to be having an ill effect on the subject in the box, she can dismiss without risk of collateral damage.

The person who's summoned might go catatonic (like Nanase when in a fairydoll), might get a first-person POV inside a doll of themself, might be completely unaware of what their avatar is doing and have no control over it, might feel something odd has happened....lots of variations.  And concommitant variations on Susan's end, too; she might get a Nase-like semi-autonomous puppet (Magic seems to like those), she might get an effective clone, she might get a doll or ghost.  She might be in complete control or have influence or be limited to unsummoning.  Or it could do something really weird, like Susan and her subject swapping bodies.  Only Dan might know.  (ODMK?)

 

Personally, I want to see if Susan can get a garden shed and mark it as her summoning container.  Or mark a car.  Or her house.  Or the local public library or SCA headquarters....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CritterKeeper said:

First, they need a clear plastic box big enough to fit a person (shrunken if neccessary).  Another person to stand by on the phone to Susan, observing whether the spell has any effect on the person being summoned.  And Susan far enough away and/or the summoned avatar behind enough of a barrier that if it works like a fairy and if it appears to be having an ill effect on the subject in the box, she can dismiss without risk of collateral damage.

The person who's summoned might go catatonic (like Nanase when in a fairydoll), might get a first-person POV inside a doll of themself, might be completely unaware of what their avatar is doing and have no control over it, might feel something odd has happened....lots of variations.  And concommitant variations on Susan's end, too; she might get a Nase-like semi-autonomous puppet (Magic seems to like those), she might get an effective clone, she might get a doll or ghost.  She might be in complete control or have influence or be limited to unsummoning.  Or it could do something really weird, like Susan and her subject swapping bodies.  Only Dan might know.  (ODMK?)

Most likely, the person who's summoned will not be affected at all and Susan would get Nase-like puppet. If it would work at all, I mean - not working is also very likely possibility.

But I agree that Susan would be thinking about the other variants you described and certainly would want to be ready if they happen. After all, she DID asked Nanase if something is happening to her (and no, Nanase didn't felt it at all).

4 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Personally, I want to see if Susan can get a garden shed and mark it as her summoning container.  Or mark a car.  Or her house.  Or the local public library or SCA headquarters....

On 04/27/2017 at 1:01 AM, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in canon, but presumably Susan can't take Intermodal container and mark it.

I think there is limit of what counts as storage ... on the other hand, with Susan getting better at magic, this limit might increase, so ...

 

Haylo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't someone suggest that Susan build an "inside-out" shed, stand "outside"(inside), and mark it -- making the world her marked container. Of course, that might take a lot of leveling up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Haylo said:

Didn't someone suggest that Susan build an "inside-out" shed, stand "outside"(inside), and mark it -- making the world her marked container. Of course, that might take a lot of leveling up.

Considering she would be marking not world but the UNIVERSE, I think she has no chance to level up that much. Also, it would probably be necessary to KEEP the shed build and STAY inside for the spell to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering she would be marking not world but the UNIVERSE, I think she has no chance to level up that much. Also, it would probably be necessary to KEEP the shed build and STAY inside for the spell to work.

That reminds me of this rather interesting sign:

BANT.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

That reminds me of this rather interesting sign:

BANT.jpg

Well, that doesn't leave any exceptions, guess we all better not drink any alcohol ever again.

The Old Hack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well, that doesn't leave any exceptions, guess we all better not drink any alcohol ever again.

I liked this one better. It struck me as more positive, somehow.

everyone.jpg

Scotty likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0