• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
ProfessorTomoe

What Are You Ingesting?

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I know I wanted more Paprika  But everyone else at the potluck said it had too much.  Two months later I tried it again with less paprika but they still said it was too much.

I love cooking for culinary wimps.

But Paprika isn't really hot... What is their major malfunction?  It's not like we are talking Ghost Peppers or any thing.

About to violate one of Professor Elemental's  rules and have an herbal tea.  Peppermint to be exact.

Ok, this editor allows iframes. All sorts of fun can come of that.

Nutella in coffee is proof that there is a higher power and he or she loves us.

Strawberry jam in coffee is just strange.

[edit]  After drinking half a cup, I've decided it's too strange for me.  Off to make some tea.  Bleh.

3 hours ago, mlooney said:

The new magic rice machine has a shorter cord than the other one and makes a lot more noise.  Nothing elder god like, just sorta burbles

Hm. 'Burbly' sounds a lot less ominous at least. Almost cheerful.

Maybe it is trying to summon ponies from Equestria?

For Reasons, sleep isn't in the cards for a while.  I also didn't eat yesterday.  So I'm having a 1990 flash back.

That's right, I'm making Vanilla Rice.

Rice, Rice Baby.

There is an steam vent in the machine, so it's not "Under Pressure"

/me adds /me to the List

[edit] 2 cups cooked rice, 2 tea spoons vanilla extract, 3 scoops (table spoon I think) of sugar. Mix well. Quite tasty, only problem was I felt like I was eating hot ice cream.

When you need a knife, fork and spoon to eat your stew, you have not cut your dead pig into small enough pieces before you started to boil him in paprika and squash water.

Had some German Würstchen-Gulasch (sausage goulash) today, using some garlic bologna as the sausage. The bologna by itself (uncooked) was better than the cooked combination, although the goulash sauce was rather decent. I'd buy the bologna again in a heartbeat—it's some of the best I've had—but I wouldn't do the combination again.

My pork and squash goulash is turning into the meal that never ends. Looks like I'm getting 3 meals out of it. I spiced this bowl up with some Mongolian Fire oil and dash of Maggi. The first time, while tasty, was just a touch bland. Of course, being a dumb ass, I put the squash in at the same time as the pork. Boiled for 90 minutes and it's just a thickener for the stew, sort of like okra in gumbo. With out the little white seeds.

I may have committed the 3rd classic blunder. While not land war in Asia or death on the line level, using to much vanilla extract is definitely a blunder.

This batch of vanilla rice is, well, weird.

^ As a person that eats rice as a staple in his diet, I never understood why you guys in the west treat it like some form of delicacy. (With the exception being rice crispies... mmm, rice crispies.) Though I guess I would recommend cooking rice with milk instead.

In other news, I was eating candied bananas just now; they taste better fresh but hey they're still good.

27 minutes ago, Red Regent said:

^ As a person that eats rice as a staple in his diet, I never understood why you guys in the west treat it like some form of delicacy. (With the exception being rice crispies... mmm, rice crispies.) Though I guess I would recommend cooking rice with milk instead.

In other news, I was eating candied bananas just now; they taste better fresh but hey they're still good.

Rice is not a delicacy.  It's a baseline starch on which you build something with.  Potatoes and to a lesser extent wheat fill a similar role.

Rice is flavor neutral, while not bad by itself, it takes any of the other flavours and becomes something more than just a starch.  As it happens, tonight I wanted something sweet, so rice plus sugar plus (too much) vanilla.  Yesterday was rice plus pork plus squash with paprika.  Some times I want sweet, sometimes savory, sometimes plain, and other time spicy as hell.  Rice keeps better than potatoes and with a cooker is pretty close to brain dead easy to make.

19 hours ago, Red Regent said:

I haven't had it in ages because my mom is gluten and lactose intolerant, but we used to cook pork chops or chicken in mushroom soup. We would normally also have rice with this so I'd pour some of the mushroom "gravy" over the rice. Was soo good.

Candied butternut squash is good too, cut the squash (after peeling of course) into cubes and fry it up in butter and brown sugar. :)

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I haven't had it in ages because my mom is gluten and lactose intolerant, but we used to cook pork chops or chicken in mushroom soup. We would normally also have rice with this so I'd pour some of the mushroom "gravy" over the rice. Was soo good.

Candied butternut squash is good too, cut the squash (after peeling of course) into cubes and fry it up in butter and brown sugar. :)

Pork chops and mushroom gravy, with rice.  With out a doubt my favorite childhood meal.  Of course you put the gravy over the rice.  

As a lazy adult, my single pot version of this is making rice with mushroom soup instead of water.  Haven't tried it in the cooker yet, but it's on my list of things to try soonish.

27 minutes ago, Vorlonagent said:

I just found out that a Foreman Grill does a great job reheating pizza...

Noted for possible Amazon spending budget.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Pork chops and mushroom gravy, with rice.  With out a doubt my favorite childhood meal.  Of course you put the gravy over the rice.  

As a lazy adult, my single pot version of this is making rice with mushroom soup instead of water.  Haven't tried it in the cooker yet, but it's on my list of things to try soonish.

I don't know how the magic rice and water thing works, but using ceam of mushroom soup for the water confused it and the spell stopped about 1/3 of the way to done.  Mix moved to a normal stove top pot.  Noted for next attempt, make the rice and soup seperate and mix after the magic is done.   Must think on how to do this.  I have a lot of boneless pork. Cube it, then brown in, then add to soup.  Might work.  Needs testing.  Getting brick of dead pig out freezer.

If some one aimed a gun at me and said "Choose one to be your only spice mix and/or sauce or I shoot"

1. Mongolian Fire Oil
  2. Maggi
  3. Real Lee & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
  4. Garlic (green or normal)
  5. Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning
  6. Cream of Mushroom Soup
  7. Bacon
  8. Olive Oil

I might have find out if I can take a bullet. One or more of the magic 8 go into damn near every thing I make that I don't put sugar in.  And some things with sugar.  Sweet rice, for example with Fire Oil.  Odd, but in a good way.