• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday September 21, 2018

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I just watched inside Out twice waiting to get my internet back before reading this comic.

So, will it all become clear to Diane on Monday? Well, probably not. But maybe a three way argument between Diane, her inner child, and her inner elephant? Well, her grandma had a three-way argument with herself...

Huh, it runs in the family.

My first reaction: " .... o .... k .... ZEUS! Stop this!"

But ok, let's assume she's really just imagining it.

BTW, I knew it first with white rhino ... seems elephant is more common, but I think the color is important.

3 hours ago, partner555 said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I just watched inside Out twice waiting to get my internet back before reading this comic.

So, will it all become clear to Diane on Monday? Well, probably not. But maybe a three way argument between Diane, her inner child, and her inner elephant? Well, her grandma had a three-way argument with herself...

Her grandma was crazy a lot at that point. Diane shouldn't be.

In any case, it would be funny if during the introspection she also realizes that Lucy is hitting on her (or is it "trying to hit on her"?)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

My first reaction: " .... o .... k .... ZEUS! Stop this!"

Ooh, hadn't thought of that option!  If it's him, I hope he's also screening everything from viewing by bystanders....

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, I knew it first with white rhino ... seems elephant is more common, but I think the color is important.

True, most of the times I've heard it, a color is specified, but which color doesn't seem to be consistent.  "Don't think of a purple elephant!" or "Try not to think of a pink elephant, see what happens."

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

In any case, it would be funny if during the introspection she also realizes that Lucy is hitting on her (or is it "trying to hit on her"?)

I think it's more of a "has a crush on her."  She's been too shy to do anything so overt as hitting on Diane.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

True, most of the times I've heard it, a color is specified, but which color doesn't seem to be consistent.  "Don't think of a purple elephant!" or "Try not to think of a pink elephant, see what happens."

I would assume it's actually MORE effective when the color is not consistent, so ...

I think it's more of a "has a crush on her."  She's been too shy to do anything so overt as hitting on Diane.

I think she's "dropping hints". Girls often do. And often overestimate how easy is to recognize those hints.

40 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I hate it when my inner elephant gets involved in my internal dialogue.  It always blames everything on my inner donkey, and vice versa.

That's probably caused by overexposure to U.S. politics.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I've only known of pink elephants in reference to being drunk.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Maybe this will be Monday's first gag:

Diane (Eyes still squeezed shut): There is no elephant!!

Familiar Voice: Elephant?

(Diane opens her eyes. Adrian Raven is standing in front of her.)

Note that she IS walking late to class ... well, not exactly walking ... who's class it's going to be?

EDIT: At least Diane's mirror image is nicer than Alice's.

Namesake Alice

Even if it does not talk, there is an elephant in the room. Oy. Vey. Darn you, past Diane!!

Also, past Diane deduces present Diane's predicament. Yup, the lack of self-deduction actually lives on to her own irony.

So, if life is an equation, Diane always forgets to carry the 2.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:28 AM, partner555 said:
On 9/21/2018 at 7:27 AM, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if anthropomorphized personality traits (Diane's shoulder angel & devil, Susan's curiosity/logic/nature/nurture) are inherited from Pandora as well?

22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I've always heard it as pink elephants. In fact, before I read the commentary and Dan said nothing about color, I assumed the only reason it was an "elephant" instead of a "pink elephant" was because the comic is in grayscale.

(In retrospect that train of thought doesn't work so well; after all the comic being in grayscale didn't stop Dan from having the characters tell us Ellen's hair was green.)

Just now, ChronosCat said:

I wonder if anthropomorphized personality traits (Diane's shoulder angel & devil, Susan's curiosity/logic/nature/nurture) are inherited from Pandora as well?

How do you explain Sarah?

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well, with how long ago Raven fathered the child who was ancestor to Susan, there are likely a large number of descendants of Raven around the world; there's no reason Sarah couldn't be one of them.

Alternately, Sarah just has an overactive imagination.

(I'm mostly joking about this entire scenario, but actually I do find it a lot easier to buy the highly creative Sarah having imagined conversations with herself than people like Susan or Diane visualizing their internal debates in the manner illustrated in the comic.)

Just now, ChronosCat said:

Well, with how long ago Raven fathered the child who was ancestor to Susan, there are likely a large number of descendants of Raven around the world; there's no reason Sarah couldn't be one of them.

(I'm mostly joking about this entire scenario, but actually I do find it a lot easier to buy the highly creative Sarah having imagined conversations with herself than people like Susan or Diane visualizing their internal debates in the manner illustrated in the comic.)

I don't see Sarah being related to Adrian or else Pandora would have mentioned it in the reveal.

This is true. But we also know that Sarah has at least one immortal in her bloodline, or she wouldn't have that affinity. Anthropomorphized personality traits might come from other immortals, for all we know.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

That's a thought. However, Adrian's never been shown with anything like that,  unless you count the "Pimp Daddy R" that Ellen and maybe Nanase sometimes picture him as.

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
On 9/21/2018 at 4:28 PM, partner555 said:

It would make more sense than them both having them just randomly ...

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Sarah having an overactive imagination is canon, she's artist and comic writter AND her conversation worked a lot differently.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't see Sarah being related to Adrian or else Pandora would have mentioned it in the reveal.

Yes, I don't believe Pandora would miss that, with how long she spend with Sarah. There likely will be other relatives, but noone from main cast.

46 minutes ago, Southern Cross said:

This is true. But we also know that Sarah has at least one immortal in her bloodline, or she wouldn't have that affinity. Anthropomorphized personality traits might come from other immortals, for all we know.

Note that statistically speaking, basically everyone should have some immortal in bloodline by now. But in lot of people those genes get diluted apparently ... and Sarah is good example of that.

However, if you look at the spell which matched her talent AND her conversation with herself, it actually matches - and I mean it matches even more than Susan's or Diane's personalised traits.

So, yes: Susan's and Diane's personalised traits AND Sarah's imagined conflict are both inherited from immortals AND the differences between them are due to different immortal they inherited it from.

28 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's a thought. However, Adrian's never been shown with anything like that

He also never was a "point of view" character. ... well ... ok, he sort of was in parts of Death Sentence, like here ... but looking at photo was sufficient, he didn't needed personalised traits to tell him anything.

I suppose his personalised traits would be his human side and his immortal side.