• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
The Old Hack

Story Friday February 1, 2019

Didn't occur to me that Sam would assume he was a lesbian first, it makes sense though, but it's certainly not the case every time as we have Nanase and especially Justin as examples. This also sheds light on why he's been so secretive about being trans, everyone he knows already believes he's a lesbian and there was very mixed and unpleasant results with that, some of the people that reactive positively to Sam being a lesbian might have been doing so for the wrong reason ("Hur..lesbians are hot") and the ones that reacted negatively, even if they eventually accepted it, probably won't take Sam saying he's trans male any better.

55 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So even if you know that the label you were assigned at birth is wrong, there is no guarantee that the label you choose for yourself will be correct?

Very good point.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So even if you know that the label you were assigned at birth is wrong, there is no guarantee that the label you choose for yourself will be correct?

It is almost as if the label attached to a person can't be relied on to accurately define them. :danshiftyeyes:

Monday already?

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

Didn't occur to me that Sam would assume he was a lesbian first, it makes sense though

Not only it makes sense, it must happened lot of times, as gays have better PR and generally more people know about their existence ... AND you are likely to notice who you like at different time than who you feel as.

Not sure if the fact he noticed liking girls before feeling as man doesn't mean he's closer to genderfluid than "average" trans ...

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It's actually quite likely you don't get it correct on first try. Just ... most people can get more than one try before coming out, because they are not sure at first.

5 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It is almost as if the label attached to a person can't be relied on to accurately define them.

Also this. Most labels are based on idea that there is limited number of categories (two or three on any axis). In reality, those axes are continuous and hardly anyone is on the most extreme point. And that's still missing the fact that there are additional differences NOT part of any axis ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Not only it makes sense, it must happened lot of times, as gays have better PR and generally more people know about their existence ... AND you are likely to notice who you like at different time than who you feel as.

Not sure if the fact he noticed liking girls before feeling as man doesn't mean he's closer to genderfluid than "average" trans ...

I was mostly commenting that sexual preference and gender identity aren't necessarily tied to each other, since there are examples that don't appear like they are tied to each other but.

Like in Sam's case, because he likes girls he originally thought he must be a lesbian, but being trans male would make him heterosexual, Tedd on the other had still has a strong peference (not 100% mind you) for girls regardless of what gender he feels most like at a given moment.

Basically, it boils down to just because you're gay, doesn't mean you're trans, and just because you're trans, doesn't mean you're gay

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

I was mostly commenting that sexual preference and gender identity aren't necessarily tied to each other, since there are examples that don't appear like they are tied to each other but.

Like in Sam's case, because he likes girls he originally thought he must be a lesbian, but being trans male would make him heterosexual, Tedd on the other had still has a strong peference (not 100% mind you) for girls regardless of what gender he feels most like at a given moment.

Basically, it boils down to just because you're gay, doesn't mean you're trans, and just because you're trans, doesn't mean you're gay

... which suggest that "gay", "heterosexual", "homosexual" etc are NOT sexual preferences. At least not major ones. Gynosexual and androsexuals are.

Surprisingly, there is serious shortage of cisgender men coming out and saying "I'm not heterosexual, I'm gynosexual". :)

I mean, they are obviously in denial.

... or, maybe they don't care, proving that labels are not as important as we pretend to be.

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also this. Most labels are based on idea that there is limited number of categories (two or three on any axis). In reality, those axes are continuous and hardly anyone is on the most extreme point. And that's still missing the fact that there are additional differences NOT part of any axis ...

Heck, the reason I stop at five or six genders is NOT because I think everyone fits neatly into one of a few, clearly distinct categories. It's because I think the whole subject is about as clear, and as clearly delineated, as a fogbank - that there are six, or maybe only five, genders that one can reasonably clearly define the stereotypical cores of, with substantive differences between those cores - but those cores are themselves just approximations that not many people will precisely fit.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... which suggest that "gay", "heterosexual", "homosexual" etc are NOT sexual preferences. At least not major ones. Gynosexual and androsexuals are.

This.

On 2/1/2019 at 7:25 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Why must humans always be so annoyingly human?

This. 1000 x this

EDIT: Also because it's hard to handle large amounts of information without breaking things into categories. It' good for dealing with said large chunks of information, but bad when you gown to individual examples/people 

18 hours ago, animalia said:

EDIT: Also because it's hard to handle large amounts of information without breaking things into categories. It' good for dealing with said large chunks of information, but bad when you gown to individual examples/people 

Yes ; The problem isn't breaking things into categories, it's forgetting that those categories are just approximations and will not fully describe the issue.

4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes ; The problem isn't breaking things into categories, it's forgetting that those categories are just approximations and will not fully describe the issue.

Worse, some categories are objectively harmful and cause no end of problems for the people forced into them.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

Worse, some categories are objectively harmful and cause no end of problems for the people forced into them.

Especially when they are based on inaccurate and/or outdated information.