• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, June 24, 2019

Recommended Posts

Ok. So Liz is physically threatening a martial artist with magically enhanced strength, endurance and dexterity and spell turning him into superhero.

She's very lucky Elliot is also good guy who is mostly able to control himself unless someone mentions gays.

I mean, seriously, what is she thinking? Unless she is able to hold him in air (which, with shirt like that, might be impossible even for superman), she can't really scare him. I mean, he wasn't scared when facing Dame Tara, he wasn't scared when facing Magus, ... I don't think we saw him scared. Ok, on second though, holding him in air would be unlikely to help either.

... granted, she doesn't know most of that, but if she was paying attention she KNOWS he's martial artist.

... also, I don't know what the second possibility is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elliot doesn't beat up girls. He's lucky he doesn't have a sister. Oh, wait, he does. 

So, what is that other possibility Liz mentioned? The obvious one is Liz thinks Elliot is gay, since she's accepted that he's (probably) a good guy. And Elliot can't really say he's absolutely straight because, well, he's attracted to Noah and he's terrible at lying. 

Maybe this is a job for... DEMONIC DUCK!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW, note the fire in background: Elliot CAN use illusion to make such effect. Liz presumably can't, unless THAT is the spell she got from Pandora.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Elliot doesn't beat up girls.

Yeah sure. And I would expect he already sparred with Ellen as well.

No, really, her being girl would make little difference. The important think is that as martial artist, he is trained to not use violence on untrained people. Presumably.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

He's lucky he doesn't have a sister. Oh, wait, he does. 

He didn't had one in the age where she would be unbearable without using physical violence on her.

In their age, people generally know when to stop (usually because someone already used physical violence on them earlier ; for lot of people in school that someone was Elliot). Even if they don't know each other almost as good as themselves.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

So, what is that other possibility Liz mentioned? The obvious one is Liz thinks Elliot is gay, since she's accepted that he's (probably) a good guy.

I don't think the hints Liz got would point to this possibility. Also, I would expect the "other possibility" will include the party somehow. Him being gay would have no effect on the party.

36 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Elliot can't really say he's absolutely straight because, well, he's attracted to Noah and he's terrible at lying. 

And more relevant for his relationship with Ashley, he's totally lesbian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liz is probably having a protective reaction strong enough to overwhelm any sense of fair play -- she is probably about to ask a loaded question such as "Are you physically attracted to Ashley?", where a "yes" answers makes her conclude that Elliot is trying to take advantage of Ashley and a "no" answer is taken as proof that he is gay and is using her as a beard (and Liz is in no emotional shape to even consider that Ashley  might have agreed to such).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

And more relevant for his relationship with Ashley, he's totally lesbian.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Elliot's a switch hitter.

... I meant that he can't say he's straight after all that kissing he did with Ashley as girl, which would count as lesbian relationship.

3 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Liz is probably having a protective reaction strong enough to overwhelm any sense of fair play -- she is probably about to ask a loaded question such as "Are you physically attracted to Ashley?", where a "yes" answers makes her conclude that Elliot is trying to take advantage of Ashley and a "no" answer is taken as proof that he is gay and is using her as a beard (and Liz is in no emotional shape to even consider that Ashley  might have agreed to such).

... I hope not, because if Liz is in such bad state AND starts to talk about homosexuality she actually risks saying something which makes Elliot hit her.

This is EGS and Dan just talked about how he wants to get to the party soon. I expect some awkwardness but in Wednesday or Friday they will somehow sort it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Haylo said:

Liz is probably having a protective reaction strong enough to overwhelm any sense of fair play -- she is probably about to ask a loaded question such as "Are you physically attracted to Ashley?", where a "yes" answers makes her conclude that Elliot is trying to take advantage of Ashley and a "no" answer is taken as proof that he is gay and is using her as a beard (and Liz is in no emotional shape to even consider that Ashley  might have agreed to such).

That would fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

BTW, note the fire in background: Elliot CAN use illusion to make such effect. Liz presumably can't, unless THAT is the spell she got from Pandora.

If that's an illusion spell at work, I fully expect Elliot to comment on her using magic, but I think it's more likely Dan giving use a dramatic background to emphasize Liz confronting Elliot.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I mean, he wasn't scared when facing Dame Tara

He actually was somewhat scared, because he knew he couldn't fight her properly and he certainly didn't want her catching him.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

So, what is that other possibility Liz mentioned? The obvious one is Liz thinks Elliot is gay, since she's accepted that he's (probably) a good guy. And Elliot can't really say he's absolutely straight because, well, he's attracted to Noah and he's terrible at lying. 

If Liz saw what happened between Elliot and Catalina, she'd know that he has no problem if people thought he was gay, the only problem would be if she was being homophobic, which I doubt because she didn't say anything about Ashley having had a girlfriend (on the internet) once, and while Elliot isn't absolutely straight, being partly bisexual wouldn't harm any relationship with Ashley, especially because Ashley's also attracted to both males and females, and it would be hypocritical for Liz to be ok with Ashley being attracted to both but not ok with Elliot being slightly attracted to males.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure Elliot's a switch hitter.

As I stated in my previous paragraph, Elliot thinks males can be attractive, but as stated about Justin, doesn't have any desire to do things with them. Ellen's probably closer to being willing to do things with guys than Elliot is.

 

Here's the thing, Liz only asked Sarah and Susan about Elliot, Sarah's statement kinda paints Elliot as lazy. Susan might have used a tone that made Liz think there was something else that Susan's not telling her.  I dunno if "I like Quill" is enough to determine that Elliot must be gay though, but I don't think Liz asked the right questions, like she could have asked about the get together that Ashley told her about in the first panel, then she'd know that Ashley hasn't told Elliot what been bothering her either and he's only trying to help cheer her up. She didn't talk to Tedd so I dunno if that means that Liz doesn't trust another (sometimes)guy's opinion of Elliot or what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, note the fire in background: Elliot CAN use illusion to make such effect. Liz presumably can't, unless THAT is the spell she got from Pandora.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

If that's an illusion spell at work, I fully expect Elliot to comment on her using magic, but I think it's more likely Dan giving use a dramatic background to emphasize Liz confronting Elliot.

I agree with Scotty that it's likely just a dramatic background.

Speaking of which, yay for fiery background in panel six!

...

As for what Liz's "other possibility" is, the idea that she thinks he's gay did occur to me, but another possibility I haven't seen mentioned yet is that she is aware of magic (presumably including her own) and has guessed that Elliot has magic. Maybe she thinks Elliot is hiding magic from Ashley, or maybe she thinks despite being otherwise a good guy he's pressuring Ashley into not talking about magic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Darkxemjas said:

(looking at the 4th panel) Wait..... Is Liz finally watching one of Elliot's Review Shows?

No, she started watching them somewhere between Ashley telling her she got a date with Elliot and the first date itself (the first link was on the day of the first date so it'd be redundant to link again). I suspect she'd only seen a few at the time and was getting caught up on more for the purpose of gauging what to think of Elliot.

6 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

As for what Liz's "other possibility" is, the idea that she thinks he's gay did occur to me, but another possibility I haven't seen mentioned yet is that she is aware of magic (presumably including her own) and has guessed that Elliot has magic. Maybe she thinks Elliot is hiding magic from Ashley, or maybe she thinks despite being otherwise a good guy he's pressuring Ashley into not talking about magic.

I thought about that afterwards, that Liz has determined that Elliot is actually involved in magic stuffs and the "other possibility" is that she thinks that Ashley's earlier talk about her stories is that she's getting herself involved in magic by being with Elliot, and Liz probably gonna be like "don't you dare corrupt her!" or something.

If Liz was marked by Pandora, this is probably the best time to reveal it, Liz confronting Elliot instead of talking to Ashley might suggest she's more certain that Elliot knows about magic and maybe less certain that Ashley knows or else she could have just asked Ashley directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I thought about that afterwards, that Liz has determined that Elliot is actually involved in magic stuffs and the "other possibility" is that she thinks that Ashley's earlier talk about her stories is that she's getting herself involved in magic by being with Elliot, and Liz probably gonna be like "don't you dare corrupt her!" or something.

At the beginning of So a Date at the Mall Liz told Ashley that Elliot seemed perfect for Ashley because Elliot is a total dork. That doesn't sound like she has any suspicions that Elliot has weird powers then. And that happens after Identity, so Elliot's alleged gayness doesn't seem to be an issue at that point with Liz. 

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If Liz was marked by Pandora, this is probably the best time to reveal it, Liz confronting Elliot instead of talking to Ashley might suggest she's more certain that Elliot knows about magic and maybe less certain that Ashley knows or else she could have just asked Ashley directly.

Or Liz could think Elliot is really into Susan and while he isn't consciously leading Ashley on, because he's a genuinely good guy, he needs to admit that to himself and to Ashley before Ashley gets in any deeper.

I don't know where Dan is going with this, but he's put some thought into it. He put Liz in that same beanbag as when she was talking with Ashley four years ago in our time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't know where Dan is going with this, but he's put some thought into it. He put Liz in that same beanbag as when she was talking with Ashley four years ago in our time.

I assume it's in her (Liz's) room.  Teenagers often don't have the option to get new furniture  on a whim.

That aside, I've got 10Q$ that says that Elliot ends up inviting Liz to the party due to what is about to happen.   Could be wrong, but Liz has been in more comics about the party preplan than some known party attendees.    Would seem strange to see all this lead up go to waste.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mlooney said:

I've got 10Q$ that says that Elliot ends up inviting Liz to the party due to what is about to happen. 

What do you think Elliot thinks is about to happen?

Elliot isn't in the super-genius club with Susan, Diane, Tedd, Grace, and Charlotte, but I don't think he puts a great deal of faith in Voltaire's pledge not to do anything with the intent of killing Elliot. Still Elliot doesn't seem to expect trouble from Volty at any time soon, and he should know from Tedd that most of the vampires/aberrations are ashes now. It's Ashley that Elliot is worried about.

What Elliot might say next is "Excuse me, but who are you?" There's never been a scene where Elliot and Liz meet before. Ashley probably would have said some things about her friend Liz, and might have even shown Elliot a picture of Liz, and Elliot should have seen Liz with Ashley and maybe even been introduced--but none of that is in canon yet. Liz probing Ashley, Sarah, and Susan, and then taking another look at the review show before grabbing Elliot and ruining one of his treasured black shirts seems like a good indicator Liz has, indeed, never exchanged words with Elliot before, even without ruining a shirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some confusing/misleading, entirely honest, answers for Elliot:

Gay? Only when I'm a girl. (Best if delivered in a sarcastic tone.)

No, I'm definitely not hiding magic from her.

Where in this outfit could I hide Cheerleadra's boobs and hips? Also, I'm a bit taller than she is.

Seriously? You think I'm a superhero, and yet you're assaulting me? Do you think you're a supervillain or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Some confusing/misleading, entirely honest, answers for Elliot:

"Why?"

"I don't think so."

"Not here."

"Ashley told you about the party?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The way Elliot will respond could depend on what day it is, and what time of day. Dan hasn't given us a day-of-the-week for awhile, but given the panels showing Liz at home in this comic, it has to be Thursday or Friday--in other words, the party is tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.

If it's Thursday, Elliot has time tonight to see Tedd and maybe Tedd's dad and maybe some others to ask if inviting Liz is acceptable, Elliot will probably stall.

If it's Friday, especially late Friday, Elliot may not have a chance to see Liz again until Monday after the party. Under that kind of pressure, and fearing for his shirt, Elliot might say, "If this party is bothering you, why don't you come?"

Edited by Tom Sewell
Mixed up Ashley with Liz. Yet again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What Elliot might say next is "Excuse me, but who are you?" There's never been a scene where Elliot and Liz meet before.

While there's never been a scene with Elliot talking to Liz before, he obviously knows who she is since he commented "Oh wait, she's with Liz" when he was about to go talk to Ashley about the party.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan hasn't given us a day-of-the-week for awhile, but given the panels showing Liz at home in this comic, it has to be Thursday or Friday--in other words, the party is tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.

Ashley and Susan don't appear to be wearing the same clothing they wore during what I assume was Wednesday, although it's hard to say with Susan since those were Nature/Nurture representations or which Nature's clothing seems to match but I'd have expected the contrast to be different betweem Nature, Nuture and Susan with Susan's clothing colour being a middleground or something. I guess it's also possible that Ashley had a second set of clothes to change into after gym class so that she wasn't wearing the same thing before and after gym. Dan did comment that it's been 29 pages and the party hasn't started yet so he might be trying to fast forward which in which case having Liz question Sarah and Susan, and watch review show episode be on Thursday and her confronting Elliot be Friday morning would make a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

BTW, note the fire in background: Elliot CAN use illusion to make such effect. Liz presumably can't, unless THAT is the spell she got from Pandora.

If that's an illusion spell at work, I fully expect Elliot to comment on her using magic, but I think it's more likely Dan giving use a dramatic background to emphasize Liz confronting Elliot.

Agree.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

but another possibility I haven't seen mentioned yet is that she is aware of magic (presumably including her own) and has guessed that Elliot has magic. Maybe she thinks Elliot is hiding magic from Ashley, or maybe she thinks despite being otherwise a good guy he's pressuring Ashley into not talking about magic.

I thought about that afterwards, that Liz has determined that Elliot is actually involved in magic stuffs and the "other possibility" is that she thinks that Ashley's earlier talk about her stories is that she's getting herself involved in magic by being with Elliot, and Liz probably gonna be like "don't you dare corrupt her!" or something.

If Liz was marked by Pandora, this is probably the best time to reveal it, Liz confronting Elliot instead of talking to Ashley might suggest she's more certain that Elliot knows about magic and maybe less certain that Ashley knows or else she could have just asked Ashley directly.

Interesting idea overall but I think the motivation to be angry is weak. "Don't you dare corrupt her"? Liz may think that movies are turning people into sheeps but is not this aggressive about other people watching them. Why should she be angry about Ashley finding out about magic? Especially considering it means Ashley will find out about something government is actually covering up?

... unless she's even better in conclusion jumping and realized being with Elliot is dangerous for Ashley.

10 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or Liz could think Elliot is really into Susan and while he isn't consciously leading Ashley on, because he's a genuinely good guy, he needs to admit that to himself and to Ashley before Ashley gets in any deeper.

... this actually makes sense.

9 hours ago, mlooney said:

I assume it's in her (Liz's) room.  Teenagers often don't have the option to get new furniture  on a whim.

... why SHOULD them? In fact, why should ADULT change furniture just to ensure they will have something new to sit on next time their on-panel?

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

What Elliot might say next is "Excuse me, but who are you?" There's never been a scene where Elliot and Liz meet before. Ashley probably would have said some things about her friend Liz, and might have even shown Elliot a picture of Liz, and Elliot should have seen Liz with Ashley and maybe even been introduced--but none of that is in canon yet. Liz probing Ashley, Sarah, and Susan, and then taking another look at the review show before grabbing Elliot and ruining one of his treasured black shirts seems like a good indicator Liz has, indeed, never exchanged words with Elliot before, even without ruining a shirt.

Good point, but I would assume Ashley shown him Liz in school. Like, not necessary in situation with enough time for introduction but they are visiting same school and Ashley is hanging with both of them so it seems weird they wouldn't met without actual effort on Ashley's side.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:

While there's never been a scene with Elliot talking to Liz before, he obviously knows who she is since he commented "Oh wait, she's with Liz" when he was about to go talk to Ashley about the party.

... ninjad.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Some confusing/misleading, entirely honest, answers for Elliot:

Gay? Only when I'm a girl. (Best if delivered in a sarcastic tone.)

No, I'm definitely not hiding magic from her.

Where in this outfit could I hide Cheerleadra's boobs and hips? Also, I'm a bit taller than she is.

Seriously? You think I'm a superhero, and yet you're assaulting me? Do you think you're a supervillain or something?

I'm not sure Elliot is quick thinking enough to deliver any of those without preparation. So, maybe the Cheerleadra's one because he MIGHT prepared it earlier.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Some confusing/misleading, entirely honest, answers for Elliot:

"I don't think so."

Best delivered in voice Elliot would probably not used.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Not here."

Sounds like he has suspicion she would ask about magic.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

If it's Friday, especially late Friday, Elliot may not have a chance to see Liz again until Monday after the party. Under that kind of pressure, and fearing for his shirt, Elliot might say, "If this party is bothering you, why don't you come?"

BAD idea ... he might do it.

Note however that the party is in Tedd's house. He doesn't need to explain DGB to Liz to say he's not allowed to invite anyone without consulting it with Tedd's parents.

31 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan hasn't given us a day-of-the-week for awhile, but given the panels showing Liz at home in this comic, it has to be Thursday or Friday--in other words, the party is tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow.

Ashley and Susan don't appear to be wearing the same clothing they wore during what I assume was Wednesday, although it's hard to say with Susan since those were Nature/Nurture representations or which Nature's clothing seems to match but I'd have expected the contrast to be different betweem Nature, Nuture and Susan with Susan's clothing colour being a middleground or something. I guess it's also possible that Ashley had a second set of clothes to change into after gym class so that she wasn't wearing the same thing before and after gym. Dan did comment that it's been 29 pages and the party hasn't started yet so he might be trying to fast forward which in which case having Liz question Sarah and Susan, and watch review show episode be on Thursday and her confronting Elliot be Friday morning would make a lot of sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those panels would actually be flashbacks to earlier (or at least different days of this week). On the other hand, the borders didn't changed ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Scotty said:

While there's never been a scene with Elliot talking to Liz before, he obviously knows who she is since he commented "Oh wait, she's with Liz" when he was about to go talk to Ashley about the party.

You're right, you got me. Still doesn't prove they've ever talked with each other until now.

I have a reasonable suspicion that we won't be seeing Liz and Elliot in the next comic. If it's Friday, tonight is bowling night for Justin, Luke, Diane, and Lucy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I have a reasonable suspicion that we won't be seeing Liz and Elliot in the next comic. If it's Friday, tonight is bowling night for Justin, Luke, Diane, and Lucy.

Sarah's also seeing Sam Friday night and there's a chance that Sam might tell Sarah how he feels about dating (I don't expect him to tell her he's trans though).

I dunno if we'll actually see any of this in this storyline or if Dan's gonna reserve those dates for either NP or after the party story, it'd for sure be a real tease to not follow up on what Liz wants to talk to Elliot about though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sarah's also seeing Sam Friday night and there's a chance that Sam might tell Sarah how he feels about dating (I don't expect him to tell her he's trans though).

The pattern so far is to switch back and forth between Northern and Southern groups. Sarah's a Northerner, so I think a switch would more likely go to a  some Moperville South people. And there are more to choose from; besides Justin, Diane, and Lucy, there's Grace, Rhoda, Ellen, and Nanase. Oh, don't forget Noah; there's always a chance he'll show up somewhere, with or without Melissa.

I wouldn't be terribly disappointed to see Sarah and Sam, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I have a reasonable suspicion that we won't be seeing Liz and Elliot in the next comic. If it's Friday, tonight is bowling night for Justin, Luke, Diane, and Lucy.

Sarah's also seeing Sam Friday night and there's a chance that Sam might tell Sarah how he feels about dating (I don't expect him to tell her he's trans though).

I dunno if we'll actually see any of this in this storyline or if Dan's gonna reserve those dates for either NP or after the party story, it'd for sure be a real tease to not follow up on what Liz wants to talk to Elliot about though.

I don't think he would be running out-of-character NP story now if he would be putting those dates in NP. Either he wants to skip those dates like Sarah's first date with Sam or they would be plot relevant and in main comics. Of course, they may still be AFTER the party, despite it not making much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think he would be running out-of-character NP story now if he would be putting those dates in NP. Either he wants to skip those dates like Sarah's first date with Sam or they would be plot relevant and in main comics. Of course, they may still be AFTER the party, despite it not making much sense.

I don't buy that either. Dan just started a new NP story, and it's not canon. Besides, Dan has already run Playing With Dolls, Question Mark, Marker, Escape From the Mall, and MV5, which all lead into this story--particularly MV5 with all it's wild transformation possibilities. Plus there was that semi-canon NP explaining all of Ellen's powers before she got her second zapping by the Dewitchery Diamond.

It might take two weeks of our time for Elliot to talk his way out of this one. I think an easier option is to cut away and then explain what happened with a panel or two of exposition a little later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this